prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best Vintage Tire?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:39 am 

Looking for opinions on the best tire for a vintage Spridget. Fastest, longest lasting, best value, etc. This would be for organizations that don't allow tires like Hoosier DOT radials with no real tread pattern. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Best Vintage Tire?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:22 am 

James - "Best" can mean a number of different things to different people. I have gotten a lot of weekends (5-8) out of the bias ply Hoosier Street TDs, their A-70 tyre is the same compound I am told but a taller tyre. Yes the longer you run them the less grip they'll have but if you don't mind the flat tracking experiencing around a corner they are fun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:04 am 

We've been getting 3 SCCA double weekends out of a set of Hoosier DOT radials before they get marginal, and would hope to get at least that or more out of a vintage tire. Would like to be competitive with what others are running, don't want to just ride around.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:35 pm 

The Hoosier Street TD is what we have been forced on to. Great tire. But it is also a bias so a little change in setup required.

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:55 am 

Look at the Hoosier "Speedster" Tire if they have your size. I'm on my 4th vintage weekend on them. Love em.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:49 am 

The new Hoosier TD-R is the Schizzle Dizzle for vintage.

-Kyle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:15 pm 

Just what I was hoping for--consensus!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:57 pm 

+1 on the TD-R. It is basically just a dot bias TD now with the same rubber as our scca slicks. Before they improved the rubber it was as fast as any Vintage tire. So says me while waiting for UPS to deliver my Speedster Radials LOL but the Speedsters are a size and application play.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:37 am 

Your choices for a vintage Spridget would be either Hoosier TD or Toyo R888 in vintage. I race a MGB in vintage as you know, and never cared for the TD on the MGB, too unpredictable. I run Nitto NT-01s, which at the time people scoffed at, now half the vintage MGB run Nitto and half run TDs, neither seem to have an advantage over the other, but the radials are cheaper to buy and last a lot longer. Everything I read, or heard about radial race tires over the years could not be further from the truth, the sidewall strength has greatly increased and Nitto is way stiffer than a TD, so at the Nitto engineers recommendation was I run 1 degree of negative camber. I always heard I they would give on you without warning in a corner, not these tires, I drift this car the same as I did a SCCA Spridget, also unlike a bias ply tire there are not sensitive to heat cycles, your last race on them will be as quick as you first weekend on them. OK you may ask what does the Nitto I run, and the Toyo choice you have to do with each other, Nitto NT-01 and Toyo R888 are basically the same tire, the tread is little different, but Nitto does make 13s, Toyo and Nitto are sister companies, and these two tires are made in the same plant. The biggest reason the TD was redesigned was because the radials got better, so they had to. Your Spridget may, may not respond to radials the way my MGB did, my vintage MGB is the best handling race car I ever driven, it does whatever I ask to do. So in short, you may not want to discount the R888 radials so quickly.

James are you thinking of switching to vintage, or just testing the waters? VDCA in this area puts on good races, and I race with a lot more of my own than I ever did in the SCCA. I damn sure aint no club hater, but racing these British cars now, I doubt I would ever go back to the SCCA, too much good racing here in vintage to go back. VDCA has a Road Atlanta event in few weeks, I wanted to race at this race, but it looking doubtful right now, I'm building new shop at home, and that has been a serious distraction to me working on my race car, but will be well worth it in the long run. The there is also the VDCA Finale at Roebling in early December as well, another VDCA weekend that is well attended with lots of good competition. Also the Spring VDCA race gets a good turn out, a full paddock every time. I run in EP run with a class field or 15-20 cars, and a overall field of 30+ cars, your class in the 1275 Spridget is 1FP, and it only second to 3EP in entries. I am happy camper in vintage racing, it's way better than I ever imagined it would be. I inherited my path into vintage more so than a planned move, and in the beginning I thought of putting fiberglass on the car, doing a head and ignition swap and going LPHP, but outside the runoffs it would mean I would be running with less cars in class. I stayed in vintage because the competition, and racing was good. For me it not so much a SCCA vs Vintage, IMHO, it's just the best place to race my car.

http://www.acmespeedshop.com
(864) 370-3000

Last edited by Acme Speed Shop on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:59 am 

Acme Speed Shop wrote:
Everything I read, or heard about radial race tires over the years could not be further from the truth, ……. I always heard I they would give on you without warning in a corner,....
Who ever told you that? We are not autocrossing here. Radial race tires are just as predictable as bias ply tires once you get the car set up for them and get used to them.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion