prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:26 pm 

So out here on the west coast regions are doing doubles and triples and ending up with 40 cars, but fuzzy math turns that into 120 entries. Fees are killing the sport and doubles and triples are helping to kill it faster. Regions need to get creative for sure but the first thing regions need to consider is how to attract the racer not drive them away.

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:30 pm 

Steve Eckerich wrote:
I chair the Charlotte race and have run most of the CCR race weekends for the last 10 years. Over this period I have watched the enduro drivers move to pro series or to Chump, AER, and Lemons. We do not have a regional weekend that can survive without the support series for enduros. We run and Atlantic Pro Cup (former CCPS) and ECR in a combined group at Charlotte. We run at night under the lights so it does not take time from the sprint races. This is what it now takes to pay the bills.

Every race chair would love to give you more track time, heck I run the sprints and the ECR at Charlotte while being race chair so I want all the track time I can get.

If drivers would agree to have some flexibility with who they race with I could add another 30 minutes to everyone's weekend. Many races in SEDIV have about 100 cars or less and yet we have to run 6-8 groups. Open wheel screams if we run one group, Production refuses to run with SRF or whatever class is the boogy man this week. Everyone bombards the race chair that they do not race well with whatever class. They jump on the forums and complain until they drive entrants away or force a schedule change. You win, but you lose because now the available track time is less per group. If drivers would agree to some combined practice sessions we could double that time immediately. Combined qualifying sessions would allow even more time. It really is up to the drivers to decide what is important. Keep the separate groups for races and you still get your track space.

You enter a Majors and it is one entry for the weekend, you will see that a lot more in regionals as the regions can no longer afford to rent tracks when half the paddock goes home Saturday night. Tracks have a minimum rental for weekends or they give the date away to a track day supplier. We have to commit well in advance to all the expenses for the weekend, Most will add a second qual session for drivers sharing a car, we did at the CMS Majors/SARRC this June.

Look forward to seeing your ideas on some of my points.

Alright

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:47 pm 

I just saw where Houston Region is doing a triple Majors. So, one entry and three sets of points. So, next year everyone will have to have a triple Majors to keep up with the Jones. Seems like we are going out of our way to kill ourselves.

Steve Eckerich is one those who is always thinking ahead and always has good ideas. Many of his ideas are now the norm for many regional races here in SEDiv. The night race at Charlotte in June is always a fun weekend. Workers get fed both lunch and dinner. Everyone is invited to dinner. Only difference is after dinner is over, they go back to racing and race until about 10 PM. Great to see the cars under the lights.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:43 am 

FP Racer wrote:
I just saw where Houston Region is doing a triple Majors. So, one entry and three sets of points. So, next year everyone will have to have a triple Majors to keep up with the Jones. Seems like we are going out of our way to kill ourselves.

Steve Eckerich is one those who is always thinking ahead and always has good ideas. Many of his ideas are now the norm for many regional races here in SEDiv. The night race at Charlotte in June is always a fun weekend. Workers get fed both lunch and dinner. Everyone is invited to dinner. Only difference is after dinner is over, they go back to racing and race until about 10 PM. Great to see the cars under the lights.

Jim, that's the deal..doubles and triples seam to drive the entries down except for maybe the spec classes.

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:38 am 

The Houston Region did a triple Memorial Day and had the highest turn out in years 95! Oct 2017 53 entries, Dec 2016, 26 entries, July, 2016 36 entries. Best super tour at MSRH was 91.
What works in some areas doesn't in others

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 am 

Larry, just saying things like the triple force everyone (racing regions) else to do the same and it ends up accomplishing nothing. You've been around long enough to understand exactly what I am saying.

And while it appears great, at some tracks drivers may be forced to buy a second set of tires to even complete three races. So, expenses go up. Of course, the way National has the Runoffs requirements set now, it's enter three events and go to the big dance. Points no longer mean squat. But, National needs big numbers at the Runoffs to pay expenses so they care less about how many races during the regular season drivers enter. And the day may come where there's no qualifying requirement for the Runoffs.

In SEDiv, we actually went the other way. We changed the entry requirement for the SARRC Invitational Challenge from entering three races to entering three events. As it was, a driver only needed two weekends, a double and a single to now requiring they enter three race weekends. We feel it is important we look out for our racing regions. This might sound tough until you realize we have 19 SARRC events for drivers to qualify for the SIC. Almost every driver has three or more events within a 250 miles or less drive.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:29 am 

" Been around long enough"
Are you me calling me old!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:37 am 

Larry, you're not old. The cars you drive are old. You are antique.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:45 am 

I think for the most part the regions have a hard time making everyone happy. People complain about too much track time even. Goodness. I certainly appreciate the effort you guys make so I can race.

I too have seen some Sunday races where it was a ghost town compared to Saturday. And I understabd that its a real problem. Keep in mind how they do it at VIR is the multi race discount get larger per race. So run 1 race its full price but the last race of 4 cost like $70. In October the discount will be $25 for 2 races and $125 for 3 races and $300 for 4. So go home early on Sunday and you keep your $245 entry fee but your discount goes from $300 to $125 so you save $70 by not racing. I think that is the smart way to do it. You are still giving racers their entry fee back if they leave. But they lose the discount and effectively end up paying almost as much not to race.

A couple of comments on schedules. I don't like Sunday qualifying if its mandatory. The grid for Sunday should be your fastest time all weekend. That is a common way to do it. THe advantage to doing it that way is you can combine groups for the Sunday qualifying sessions. Not everyone will feel the need to go out since they do not have to and often you see guys skipping it. Sometime I use those sessions to scrub tires. And that way the guys running just that day still can qualify. But you can cut the groups in half and save time to race.

I think as a double dipper it would be nice if they give that more thought when making the groups. I think everyone plans on SM running STL but after that I see a lot of times they ignore the fact that some guys do the Sprint race and the Enduro. Its fine if you can't make it perfect but its crazy to me to run Open wheel or big bore and then after that group run small bore with STL in the group immediately before the ECR. Sometimes you could just swap 2 groups and then it works way better so the STL or IT guys have a bit of time to get to grid etc and since open Wheel or Big bore cars do not run the ECR it shoud be no big deal to them. I am not trying to be spoiled but I do end up paying sometimes double the entry fee and I take up no more time at registration and tech etc. And I look at the weekend shedules when I pick what races I want to do. Honestly I only go to races where I can race 2 times per day. The only race in the past 12 weekends that I did not double dip and race the same car in two classes was the VIR Super Tour because I took 2 cars! And paid full price for the second entry. I even ran my FP car in 4 races this year in majors in GT3 even though its slow in GT3 but hell I figure I am there and I like to race. I am not going to be a baby about it. I am just saying if you put open wheel as Group 1 and then STL-Small Bore as Group 2 and then endurance group as Group 3 then it could have been thought out better.

Its also worth noting for us in the SE that some places out of the SE run ITS in big bore. I did that at Mid Ohio and it was fine. At Barber there are 38 scheduled in the group that has IT and STL and Slick small bore and only 11 in closed wheel big bore. Move the 9 ITS cars and its 20 cars and 29 which would still makes the small bore IT group the largest of all. Something to consider. Just trying to throw some ideas out there.

One thing that they do in Cen Div is to run the Sunday morning qualifing as a race. You grid based on Satirday and then you do a sprint race that only counts for gridding the feature. I do Like an extra race :)

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7