prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:39 pm 

The answer is always Miata.....if you're into that sorta thing.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:52 am 

I may be biased, but you guys are missing the obvious answer:

SATURN!!

Just kidding - I think your answer should be Miata (despite how much faster than me they currently are). Parts are plentiful, relatively inexpensive, and easy to source at the track should something go wrong. Plus, as I have heard all about, Mazda Motorsports is all about helping the grassroots racer to be successful in racing, regardless of the class.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:07 am 

Can't tell you how many threads like this there are across the racing websites.

I am not a miata guy, but many folks obviously love them. As someone said, Mazda has really good support, both cheap parts and great contingency, although they are starting to turn off the spigot a little.

I made the mistake of building a miata because they are the favorite son in the class; I never really liked it and wound up parting it out.

I guess my advice would be to take your time now, because after you've got a lot of time and money in it, you really should be happy with where you started.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:26 am 

I completely agree. the 3 cars are extremely different and they have pluses and minuses.

A lot of where you end up depends on what you’re interested in.

I raced a triumph spitfire for a long time, I loved it. I now have a Honda S2000 and I love it, but it’s a lot more work without a huge amount of support.

Do you want to run production or it or spec?

It’s a huge investment, lots of rentals or maybe head to a race weekend and help out a vw guy one weekend, a Miata guy another weekend and a Honda guy the next.

Aaron

Ex #8 HP Spitfire 1500 (it's happy at its new home)
#08 EP Honda S2000
Member #310579

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:58 am 

Miata or Civic - not VW for reasons already stated. Do you want FWD or RWD? As mentioned, the Hondas/Acuras have a huge advantage as far as parts interchangeability across a broad range of years. Parts in every junkyard. 88-00 Civics and 90-00 Integras have double wishbone front suspensions and multi-link independent rears, great handling with bolt-on stuff, and engine swaps are pretty simple to do with bolt-on aftermarket parts. Lots of transmission/gear ratio options. You can take a early plain-Jane Civic and bolt in a B18 Integra engine or D-series Vtec that will be competitive and run forever if you take care of it. All depends on the rule-set you play under.

Miatas obviously need no introduction, they are great cars and I love 'em, probably not as many interchangeability options as Honda but as far as a RWD platform to start racing, you can't go wrong with the great support and knowledge base out there.

Former FP, now GTL for 2015

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:39 am 

blamkin86 wrote:
I am not a miata guy, but many folks obviously love them. As someone said, Mazda has really good support, both cheap parts and great contingency, although they are starting to turn off the spigot a little.

Turn off the spigot a little. In what way??? I haven't reviewed contingencys because I don't have the driver capability of being on that end of the field.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:23 am 

Cracks me up! why not go to a vintage forum and ask these questions..? I think these guys are generous with info here. I would much rather help you with the info to go Production or GT racing. I can point you to several great cars to buy for just that purpose..

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:16 am 

Joe Harlan wrote:
Cracks me up! why not go to a vintage forum and ask these questions..? I think these guys are generous with info here. I would much rather help you with the info to go Production or GT racing. I can point you to several great cars to buy for just that purpose..

I wish that there was a "LIKE" button.