prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:49 am 

Thanks Jesse!

What I love about racing with SCCA:
I've made some great life long friends.
The competition, even if just finishing on the lead lap at the Runoffs is a win for me.
The cars are fairly equal, as you have said, the drivers are the difference.
It's motivated me to go places I would not have gone, turns out Colorado is one of my favorite states.
It's been the time of my life going to Laguna, Daytona, and Indy, meeting & paddocking with other great racers.

Yes, you could do this with other race groups, but the SCCA has a family feel to it, I just wish I had more time to race. One of these days perhaps!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:56 am 

I’m sure I could simply quote all of the above but here is a slightly different take…..

In a few weeks, my son’s entire Scout pack (ages 5-12) is attending the Hoosier Super Tour at Mid-Ohio. They have time set-up to meet several drivers, crews, officials, tour race administration (including the tower) and then watch all of the afternoon races. I’m sure that most of these kids have never been to a race. The region/club has been incredibly supportive of the idea and the very diverse group of kids are getting in for free.

The Scouts will be exposed to people that are incredibly passionate about what they do. They will see people that understand goal setting, hard work, sacrifice, problem solving. They will meet a group of people that work to live and are determined to do what gives them joy. They will see people help each other, loan parts, work on a competitors car and then do all they can to beat that same competitor on track. They will understand that some of the greatest times in their lives may come with their teeth tightly clenched. They will hear people speak about the dreams they had at ages 5-12 and what it took to follow them….

….and they will see a bunch of cool cars go really fast and make crazy noise.

Are you kidding? Who wouldn't want to be around this environment and people?

One more thing, three generations of Workman’s after a Majors win last week.

Attachments:
32293970_10211404528135636_762560302259634176_n.jpg
32293970_10211404528135636_762560302259634176_n.jpg [ 154.77 KiB | Viewed 534 times ]

Last edited by Mason Workman on Thu May 17, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:21 am 

Awesome stuff guys!

Mason I see where you get your podium smile from now! Hope the scouts have an awesome time. My scout pack used to go to Summit Point and camp during race weekends when I was a kid. Great times. Keep it up.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:56 am 

the whole scout thing is inspired thinking Mason. props to you!!

Last edited by mlewis on Thu May 17, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:50 am 

That's awesome Mason. Very cool.
That kind of "real life" experience is what's missing from our schools today. God bless you.
I would like to start a program inviting brain injury survivors to the track to watch me race. One of the things I despise about brain injury is it's ability to steal self confidence. Just seeing a fellow survivor racing would be very motivating for them and would help them with what they deal with everyday. My vision was to do this in Trans-Am TA2 but I haven't been able to put that together yet. Your program shows me that I can provide that service to them at a club level. Thanks.

94-03 GT-4 Opel Manta
89-93 ITB Opel Manta

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:04 am 

Sorry if any of my previous comments came off as negative, they were certainly not meant to be. I am just a passionate club member and racer that feels the same way as you, I love my car, my competitors, and everything about the race weekend, especially the Runoffs. I want to be able continue with my passion and have the club not just survive, but to flourish. I just happen to live in an area where we have not done a good job of continuing to build the Club Racing ranks. We quit having schools over five years ago and we are paying dearly for that mistake now. I took it upon myself to re-engage the club with the idea that we "HAVE TO" continue with having schools and bring new drivers on board in order to survive. We just had a successful school two weeks ago and now have a half dozen new racers in the club to begin the process of building the ranks again. We were even able to have local radio, newspaper, and even TV coverage for our little event in La Junta, CO. Plans are already under way to have another school there next year! So; while things look dismal at times from a number of entries standpoint, I have to look at the big picture and see that with a little effort we can move the needle and make a difference. In Colorado; our SOLO, Rallycross, and TNIA programs are all seeing record numbers, so that's a big plus. Hopefully after a couple years of successful schools we can build up the Road Racing ranks as well.

If you've been on the fence about going to Iowa or Pueblo this month, jump off the fence, load up the race car, and come have some fun. We're planning a big beer and wine "tasting" event next week in Pueblo, and the Prod Guys will be done racing in time to watch the entire Indy 500 on Sunday, what could be better!!!

FP Miata #88

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 am 

Great thread. I agree with most everything posted so far. Good balance to the valid criticisms which are so much more likely to be expressed.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:19 am 

Great Work Mason,

I have been attending the graduation ceremonies of our local college automotive program with race cars, I have given away 30 memberships to My Local car club that is part of the local road race community. When I ended up on the BOD of NW region SCCA we decided Big Brothers Big Sisters would be our charity focus for our Majors Race In Seattle.. We have had a great response to all of that.
It is the people that make the difference. These are the things National needs to be working on!

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:49 pm 

Of the 16 who posted this thread, I've met 10 who without the SCCA I would have never met. Rob, your 1 of the 6 I've never met who I need to meet. I know your (or did know before you purchased) Miata roadster very well.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:18 pm 

I'd have to say it is all of the great people I have met throught the year. I started in SCCa in Road Rally when on to solo, been a race crew member and a racer. After getting away from it for ten year while kid were in college I can not say enough about the people and their willingness to offer help and guidance while develope my Prod car.

thanks to all

Dave Reiter
14 FP