prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:56 am 

Since I've seen not much else but negative vibes on this forum lately I thought I'd start something new.

Why I love to race in and with the SCCA.
I've been to many other race weekends with other sanctioning bodies and certainly they all do things differently.

I really enjoy the good competition and equality we have in our prod classes. The car and driver together really make the difference and I really enjoy racing with some of the best racers in the country even if someone is always beating me. Not calling anyone out but his initials are Matt Reynolds!

I really enjoy seeing racing friends and customers at the track and discussion their cars and how their doing and helping to make them better in our production classes.

I really enjoy going to the runoffs and seeing people I only get to see once a year. Having a beer or two and discussing their lives and families plus the awesome competition we always see at the runoffs.

I really enjoy being in a class where you can see what you can do to your car and make the most out of the rules, pushing for better development, and learning how to be a better driver against some really awesome drivers and equipment.

Anyone else??

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:11 pm 

What I enjoy is the camaraderie of the club. People offering all kinds of help, parts, advice, etc to competitors. Heck, most of my friends in SCCA are my competitors.

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:59 pm 

racer_tim wrote:
What I enjoy is the camaraderie of the club. People offering all kinds of help, parts, advice, etc to competitors. Heck, most of my friends in SCCA are my competitors.

^^^^ This for me ^^^^

Just cant beat the camaraderie and friendship. I come from a region of very few road racers. I have been welcomed with open arms by all the surrounding regions I have raced with and the locals within.
Also the fact that SCCA doesnt sweat the stupid stuff like expiring window nets, H&N tethers, etc helps me find them to be the more "sane" of the sanctioning bodies.
No one nitpicks my car for an annual, its a safe, solid car, stamp the logbook and move on.
I have no illusions of even thinking about racing with anyone else unless something drastic changes within SCCA as it pertains to lil ole regional racers like me.

88 BMW M3 - SPU #98

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:09 pm 

Jesse, I agree with all of your points and I find that in racing anything I have ever raced. Has nothing to do with SCCA. racers are what makes racing fun..

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:44 pm 

Joe
You beat me to it, All the stuff Jesse lists is great and I will add all the dedicated track workers I have met through the years, something I don't think I was always appropriately appreciative of in the past. But this is all in spite of and not because of the BOD and the pathetic way the club has been run all these past years not because of it.
Just think about how terrific it could be if the national office and the BOD didn't waste so much of our money.

rick haynes

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:17 pm 

Jesse Prather wrote:
Since I've seen not much else but negative vibes on this forum lately I thought I'd start something new.

Why I love to race in and with the SCCA.
I've been to many other race weekends with other sanctioning bodies and certainly they all do things differently.

I really enjoy the good competition and equality we have in our prod classes. The car and driver together really make the difference and I really enjoy racing with some of the best racers in the country even if someone is always beating me. Not calling anyone out but his initials are Matt Reynolds!

I really enjoy seeing racing friends and customers at the track and discussion their cars and how their doing and helping to make them better in our production classes.

I really enjoy going to the runoffs and seeing people I only get to see once a year. Having a beer or two and discussing their lives and families plus the awesome competition we always see at the runoffs.

I really enjoy being in a class where you can see what you can do to your car and make the most out of the rules, pushing for better development, and learning how to be a better driver against some really awesome drivers and equipment.

Anyone else??

:applause: :applause: Nice, gotta remember this is so fun that we spend a silly amount to do it :applause: :applause:
....and it is that fun when you are at the track, no regrets. Most of us hooked right away...

Sam

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:20 pm 

I really enjoy being involved with SCCA because ...

- it's been my hobby all of my life (some kids played ball - I went to the race track).
- flagging is just the best seat in the house for good racing.
- I have made many life-long friends (and even married one!).
- I've had the opportunity to travel the country and enjoy many new adventures.

That's just the start of the list.

Kelley Huxtable
"PLAY SAFE"
DMVR

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:00 pm 

Why I race with the SCCA:

The Runoffs National Championship. That's it for me.

Without it I would surely run with another group, or at least would be testing the waters. On the plus side, it is my Disneyland. I can't wait to be there and I am sorry to leave. Getting to see all of the people that I have met over the 45 years that I have been doing this crazy sport is a big factor in it being my theme park. Most racers are really good people and I have been fortunate to actually have a few of them as friends.

In general the SCCA does a fair job of dealing with the bad hand that they have been dealt. The road racing membership would like to have more classes so that everyone can be a hero, but the more saleable product would be to have less classes and let the cream come to the top with full fields and close racing. They might be able to get TV ad revenues from that.

One thing that I really don't agree with is to have a pro series lose money. A substantial entry fee on a 200K plus racing budget is not a big deal. The club or any other sanctioning body ought to be able to take whatever they need to be at least breakeven out of the prize money fund. They should never lose money IMHO. Lost money from the pro series has to be made up from the rest of the club, and I believe that the road-race community contributes a healthy part of that.

So, in conclusion, and in regard to another thread on this site, if your class fails to make it to the runoffs each year, you can expect to lose a large number of racers.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:31 pm 

Thanks for Starting the Thread Jesse :)

The SCCA is great. At the end of the day I find that everyone is there to have fun. I truly appreciate all the workers who spend their weekend so I can have fun.

And the diversity of the cars is amazing. You see brand new cars and 50 year old ones in the same race. Name one other place anywhere that has that. I raced a $3000 car this past weekend and had a blast. And if I ever get bored racing small bore closed wheel cars I can get a Open wheel car or maybe an Ex Nascar car and start over in a lot of ways. But I could still do that in the SCCA.

And I love the people. We are a strange lot. I have one group of friends who I have been going to spectate at the Runoffs since 1995. I have been over 15 times. And they had been going for years before I met some of them. They are like my family. And with our busy lives its sometimes the only time all year that we get to see each other is at the track. There are a group of us in Knoxville and there are about 10 active Road Racers and another 10 semi retired racers and we have an annual cookout every fall. Its so great to hang out with everyone.

My friend Jim that crews for me is awesome. He is a bit older than my parents and I love being able to spend time with him. And he is always telling me he is surprised at how I see the silver lining in about everything that goes wrong. But to me its just the normal process of dealing with things. I am not sure its a choice I make so much as my nature. So I am not saying I don't see some things that could be improved with the club I am just saying that in the 20 years I have been around road racing its better than ever. The cars, the tracks, etc.

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:44 am 

AMEN!!!
I have innumerable friends & aquaintences acquired during my 50+ years involvement. That's why I'm not gone.........