prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:48 pm 

Quote:
Having a process that puts the control of a class’ Runoffs future in the hands of the racers themselves is what the Club is about. And knowing that every entry at these events counts for future Runoffs consideration is valuable information as racers make their plans each season.

Here we are in the middle of 2018 and the runoffs for 2019 will be based upon the entry counts for 2017 and 2018 races.

As the program was just announced, how exactly was this future runoffs race in the hands of the racers when they were not aware of the program for the first year and a half?

Is this part of that new math I've been reading about?

A few new build cars I am aware of may now be reconsidered based upon this surprise. Why would someone take the chance on a new build that is close to being denied an invitation?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:41 am 

I'm amused (amused really means something else) by the latest offering from Topeka.
I've been a driver for 4 decades and been involved for over 5 so have a long term perspective of goings on in the club.
There's another thread about the fun of friends etc.: I'm 100% on board with that so please don't read this/me wrong.
One only needs to 'participate' in 3 Majors weekends to go to the Runoffs but now, in order for your CLASS to go, it must average 4 or more per weekend.
This has been debated previously: I say bring back the TOP 4 criteria to qualify. I think competition/participation will increase during weekends prior to the end of the year.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:51 am 

This memo is mostly just stating what everyone already knew. Local Regions starved for club racing dollars will continue down the road toward becoming only SOLO sanctioners as the primary SCCA offering is the RunOffs, and the only path to the RunOffs is Nationally run events, in classes determined to be of “market interest” by the special interest lobbying and willing to support, not the club as a whole, but Topeka.

The old model is gone. If I was an attorney, more ambitious, or better healed I would explore forcing a referendum on breaking the club up. BOD accountability is impossible to achieve with such a diverse membership. Solo should be its own separate not for profit, Club Racing it’s own, Enterprises converted to a non profit run by owners of its production, Topeka converted to only a group purchasing and sanctioning organization run completely by the Regions and others that choose to join.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:20 pm 

Curtis, The club is well on its way to what you propose. In the Southern Pacific Division, of the five regions, only one is a racing region. The rest are mostly solo regions, with a glimmer of hope for Arizona if the new track is built, and its members, along with Arizona Boarder are willing to commute to the new track. Of the other four, you can nearly count the total number of racers on your digits, with fewer than that who are race workers. Even solo in San Diego will be dead if they do not get off their butts and find a new site, as the San Diego Stadium will be gone in two years.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:34 pm 

Like Curtis said, regional racing will suffer even more than they are now since the car counts don't count for the Runoffs number game. Why would one want to try to qualify via the regional path if your participation doesn't count towards class participation? Heck, we can't even get people to come out to Majors here in the Mid States. Only 33 entries for Iowa this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:37 pm 

lewis wrote:
....GTL is barely afloat and GT1 doesnt have a lot of slack either..

Mike Lewis, you are incorrect about GTL. Half of the drivers have not started racing for the year. My first Majors race is this weekend. Portland and Seattle (typically low GTL turnouts) have 7 and 9 entries.
Peter

#45 GTLite Nissan 200SX
2008 GTLite Nat'l Champ
2009 "Got my butt kicked"

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:57 am 

zekert read that i based my comment on current numbers.
michael