prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:10 pm 

I disagree with the comment about SRF but I have no way to objectively disprove the conclusions of the authors. But I have observed that the rise of the SRF numbers has been at the expense of 2 classes, F/F and F/V. Years ago, before SRF and SCCA Ent., these 2 classes used to have fields of 30, 40 cars at a national race and even 50 cars at big races like the June Sprints. Now, these classes have almost disappeared at some events. I am not against new classes to replace old ones or updating classes like F/F with new engines to make the class more current. What I do object to is SCCA becoming a manufacturer of race cars and losing money at it. That should have been left to the free market to service.

Not being of the spec car mindset I don't know for sure but could it be that the restrictive nature of SRF that is appealing to new racers, might they have otherwise raced a F/F and F/V car? What with the similar restrictive rule set for these 2 classes, I think it is very possible. So my conclusion is there is no evidence of a net gain in entries to the Club. But there is $500.000 dollars worth of evidence of what it has cost the members to have the opportunity to speculate about it.

rick haynes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:37 am 

How many of those SRF drivers are 100% arrive-and-drive? I know many folks around here like to write a check, show up, and race. when they're off the track, they have crew provided for setup, maintenance, and the drivers are provided A/C accomodations, driver coaching, food, other hospitality, etc..

How many places can you do that with an F/F or F/V? the open wheel cars that are left around here are considerably more DIY than arrive n drive..

of course, this is one division with one crowd of clientele. only a tiny segment of the population.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:35 pm 

Matt93SE wrote:
How many of those SRF drivers are 100% arrive-and-drive? I know many folks around here like to write a check, show up, and race. when they're off the track, they have crew provided for setup, maintenance, and the drivers are provided A/C accomodations, driver coaching, food, other hospitality, etc..

How many places can you do that with an F/F or F/V? the open wheel cars that are left around here are considerably more DIY than arrive n drive..

of course, this is one division with one crowd of clientele. only a tiny segment of the population.

Just an general observation from my area, I would say 50% of the SRF guys came from other sedan classes to spec racers, they all tend to be white collar and arrive and drive folks. The other 50% I know little of I would guess 20% of them are on the 5 year plan. 5 years is about the attention span if they cant find away to the front. I would take bigger issues with salaries and expenses vs the value provided. In this day and we need every entry we can get to pay for the tracks and volunteers .

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:09 am 

Just a reminder to concerned members to keep after your area directors about club issues that are important to you. That will be the only way
any significant change in SCCA will ever occur. Below is my latest letter to my director, not replied to of course.

Marcus

Thank you,, Happy to hear all is well with SCCA.

But how about some information about Pro racing and SCCA Ent. at the 1/2 way point through the year?
As of your meeting half of the trans am races have been held, How did they do? how is the contract with Tony Panella/svra
working out for the membership? You must have a feel for the profit and loss picture by now. What about Enterprise, I will bet the majority of their sales takes place in the 1st 6 months of the year, so how are they doing? In the black and on the way to making a substantial payment on the loan to the membership this year? This stuff is never talked about, just left to be discovered at the end of the year.

You may resent my asking these questions but every one of them is of legitimate interest to the members of this club and
they have the right to know, Don't you agree?

rick haynes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:44 pm 

It is that time of year I start making inquiries to my director about SCCAs last years financial picture with Pro racing and SCCA Enterprises.
My director Marcus Merideth doesn't like to answer me and I suspect to even think too much about it but I ask him anyway. Below is this years
e-mail, There was no reply from Marcus

Marcus

Its the end of another year and you must have some feel for the profit and loss numbers in pro racing and SCCA Ent. by now.
So hows it looks? It will come out eventually, I am not asking for exact figures just a ballpark est.. If the BOD has been keeping track of it through the year as they should, my request should not be difficult to fulfill. I have to think that sharing financial information with the membership would be a high priority for a director.
thanks
rick

I hope other SCCA member will make similar requests of their SCCA directors. I think the directors of this club feel they operate below the radar with the vast majority of the membership and can get away with whatever the what and that is unfortunately what they do. Only when enough people take an active interest in what they are doing every year with your money will there be any hope to change the irresponsible way SCCA is being managed.

rick haynes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:59 am 

rick haynes wrote:
thanks
rick

Only when enough people take an active interest in what they are doing every year with your money will there be any hope to change the irresponsible way SCCA is being managed.

rick haynes

There is the real issue...

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:40 am 

There should be a full accounting statement page some place . I have never looked , but is there no financial page on the web site. Andrea??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:58 am 

BE REALISTIC IN YOUR EXPECTATIONS. Most of the people on the SCCA Board of Directors do not know how to answer your questions. You need to lead them to what info you need. Most of these people are nice volunteers and nothing else. They have no skills to be on a Board.

For the 3 years I was on the Board, I served with over 20 BoD members (elections and two appointments due to deaths). OF those 20+ Directors, not a single one was qualified to be on a not-for-profit board. NOT A SINGLE ONE. [Hell, I wasn't qualified either, but I was damn certain I was going to act legal and ethical.]

Example 1: WHEN I explained in a Board meeting that Person X could not be BOTH a sitting SCCA Director AND receiving money for working for SCCA, [Conflict of Interest] the Board members said, "So? What's your point?" They didn't get it or did NOT want to get it.

MANY BoD members would tell me that I had a good point in private, but none were strong enough to go against the will of the majority - EVEN IF THEY THOUGHT THE ACTION WAS UNETHICAL.

Example 2: I asked the then Secretary of the Board for minutes to one of our past Board discussions. [A discussion I was present for.] The Secretary told me "No". I then asked the then Chairman to instruct the Secretary to let me see notes of the discussion. Chairman refused. ....

So before I left the Board, I got the 2016 Board to develop an electronic storage system where all BoD members could look at notes, discuss topics, look at the upcoming agenda, etc, for their time on the Board.

#45 GTLite Nissan 200SX
2008 GTLite Nat'l Champ
2009 "Got my butt kicked"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:39 am 

Protech Racing wrote:
There should be a full accounting statement page some place . I have never looked , but is there no financial page on the web site. Andrea??

Every member has access to the financials... When you log in to the scca.com website it is the first item in the file cabinet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:38 pm 

Jason@SportsCar wrote:
Protech Racing wrote:

Every member has access to the financials... When you log in to the scca.com website it is the first item in the file cabinet.

Where is the "file cabinet"? I can't find anything labeled that or any financials.

2009 Mazda MX-5 12A GTL #04
SCCA Member #97968

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next