prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:17 pm 

Your not. You can only vote in this club with your absence. And there is a lot of that going on.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:25 pm 

it is really hard to drain the swamp the way we are going,

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:43 pm 

The most iconic and valuable of all SCCA Professional racing series is TransAm. And they still put on a good show if you get a chance to catch them at an SVRA weekend. Even if SCCA could create a successful pro series with half a million of our dollars there is zero chance it would stick around long term. The only thing that excites SCCA leadership more than The word “pro” is “Spec”. Hence their falling all over themselves in a rush to put the MX5 Cup cars in EP. All kinds of rules, guidelines, and precedence can be broken or ignored to get Pro Spec cars a place to test but are denied existing Production Competitors that want to race :-[...

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:53 pm 

PaulFJensen wrote:
All 24 races need to be on TV, it would be our number one membership recruiting tool. Rallycross, SOLO, Time Trial Championships all need to be on TV too. If people don't see it on their TV screens it does not exist in their world!

I'm curious as to why SCCA doesn't have a social media presence like I think it should.

When I checked on 4/25/18, on Youtube, SCCAoffical has 256 subscribers, Sports Car Club of America has 74 and SCCA Live has 377. SCCAofficial on Instgram has 16.4K followers. While my region has 1,443 facebook followers.

(please correct me if I did not find the right SCCA media sites, or if some region or member has a large following, it would be good news!)

PaulFJensen wrote:
Majors Racing in the Midwest is in big trouble, Iowa has 30-32 entries for next weekend. Pueblo in two weeks is at about the same level. With breakeven numbers probably in the 50-60 entrant area this is a big problem.

The Blackhawk Majors had about 115 entries which is 55 less than normal (going back to 2014). The Mid Ohio Super Tour only has 125 entries at this time and that seems lower than the recent average (in 2014 there were 288 entries) with 4 days left to register.

I'm not sure if it is the just the "Indy" hangover effect either; although, I hope the answer is just that easy.

R. J. Sorensen wrote:
How are you going to motivate the other 96%??

I'll be optimistic and say maybe it would be easier than one may think if an attempt was coordinated. Comparing apples to oranges ... class specific birthday events/gatherings seem successful on average and reaches a lot of drivers/car owners. However, what would be the message? I'm under the impression that there are several perspectives of what is club racing or what it should be and depending on that perspective there may or may not be any concerns with club racing as it is today.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:05 am 

The track options have changed a lot in 60 yrs. Gone are the day of driving to the track, racing your car and driving home.. Wait-- thats what the Track night does, the PDX does and others. Thats most of todays market. The street cars are being taken to track nights and SOLO events. Very few are old school race cars . This is not going to change . Club racing is going to simply die out. The most successful new classes are the spec classes with a limited hole to dump money into . That has a chance of saving the club racing.
Why build a Prod car , spend a year or three working out the bugs, getting the right cam, head, exhaust etc for 20-50 K when you can buy a RTR car and if you are a great driver get near the front. ( My Son just did exactly that,http://www.micracup.com/Micra-Cup-Nissan-Car)
The Trans AM is getting more spec also . The fastest building class is the TA 2specish cars.
I expect club racing to fall into the NASA style points and one level, All invited to the runoffs. The bottom half getting their own start or race for each class. If we have enough entries.

Of course we need a lot more online exposure. Chumpcar/ Champcar /Lemons /WRL spam all over the place with good results. Keep in mind that they only do one thing . Rent tracks and let 100 cars race for a day or two. The math is simple for them . Look into Champcast live ;https://www.youtube.com/c/ChampCarEnduranceSeries

WE could use a dedicated online exposure person. I know someone that could do it .. She might work on a per click pay scale .
We have a long and poor history of being a PITA to customers. The only way to get a fresh first impression is to find new customers, treat them right enough for them to spread the word and come back with friends.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:36 am 

At the risk of throwing more gas on this fire: look at the financials (thank you for telling me where to find) specifically footnote 7: Summary of Change in Net Assets by Entity.
There you'll find that in 2015 the pro side of the SCCA made $422,327 (now this is taxable income - as opposed to the club events) but in 2016 it lost $627,796 here the footnotes are lacking in an explanation of the reason for the reversal.
Moving back to the income statement a couple things jump out: prize money jumped from $17,717 in 2015 to $92,715 in 2016 - but no breakout as to where this was paid (club, pro or...). Salaries were stable, cost of goods sold actually decreased a touch. Public relations and marketing jumped from $194,151 in 2015 to $563,439 in 2016 - but again no break out as to where this was spent.
It does not appear that there is any accounting malfeasance in any way but the financials do justify a discussion as to why the SCCA (a non-profit) in engaged in a side biz (a for profit biz which generates unrelated business income) that from the 2016 financials had a big swing in its fortunes. And the footnotes could be better.
Whenever I think of pro racing I think of that great quote about making a small fortune by starting with a large one.
Have at it guys.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:36 am 

Protech Racing wrote:
The track options have changed a lot in 60 yrs. Gone are the day of driving to the track, racing your car and driving home.. Wait-- thats what the Track night does, the PDX does and others. Thats most of todays market. The street cars are being taken to track nights and SOLO events. Very few are old school race cars . This is not going to change . Club racing is going to simply die out. The most successful new classes are the spec classes with a limited hole to dump money into . That has a chance of saving the club racing.
Why build a Prod car , spend a year or three working out the bugs, getting the right cam, head, exhaust etc for 20-50 K when you can buy a RTR car and if you are a great driver get near the front. ( My Son just did exactly that,http://www.micracup.com/Micra-Cup-Nissan-Car)
The Trans AM is getting more spec also . The fastest building class is the TA 2specish cars.
I expect club racing to fall into the NASA style points and one level, All invited to the runoffs. The bottom half getting their own start or race for each class. If we have enough entries.

Of course we need a lot more online exposure. Chumpcar/ Champcar /Lemons /WRL spam all over the place with good results. Keep in mind that they only do one thing . Rent tracks and let 100 cars race for a day or two. The math is simple for them . Look into Champcast live ;https://www.youtube.com/c/ChampCarEnduranceSeries

WE could use a dedicated online exposure person. I know someone that could do it .. She might work on a per click pay scale .
We have a long and poor history of being a PITA to customers. The only way to get a fresh first impression is to find new customers, treat them right enough for them to spread the word and come back with friends.

Mike,

I agree about the online presence but we still need TV too! INDYCAR uses both. Every time the Indy cars go on track I get a Live Notification on my phone or computer. I am flooded with info and content from Indycar and that is why their popularity is growing. The only reason I got into SCCA racing some 18 years ago is because I had seen the Runoffs on TV and then a friend got involved and I said, "yeah I saw that on TV, let me give it a try" The vast majority of our Runoffs Races have Excellent racing at the front, with exciting and engaging characters that could very well be Capitalized On for increased profitability with proper marketing. (We have something good to sell!!!) The featured races on TV this past year were a good start. I still think we are missing the boat when it comes to Facebook Live marketing. If I can get Facebook Live notification when Tommy Boileau is about to take the Green Flag in a Bandit Series Truck Race from Greenville-Pickens Speedway, I should be able to get the same thing when Joe Huffaker is taking the green at the Runoffs, June Sprints, or another Super Tour Event.

As for the whole Pro Racing discussion, for decades we made money licensing pro racers and Providing Sanctioning/Insurance for Pro Events and Series. Not to mention the "Trans Am" name licensing fees paid to us for the sale of every one of those Pontiacs for years. Back in the day there was a huge power struggle for who would sanction Road Racing in this country between us and USAC and SCCA won that battle. In just the past few years we have been able to completely screw that up and lose almost everything that we once had control of.
The Losses from what I understand are almost entirely related to the Promoting of the F4 races and the Bad contracts with the tracks that were entered in to in order to get that series started.
If F4 was such a great idea then how come no one else would promote it?

Those of us that drive and enjoy prod cars need to keep our series growing and thriving in order to continue to have fun at our selected hobby. If we don't, we will be forced to find another one.
Many of us have already started looking!

FP Miata #88

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:19 am 

I'll preface my thoughts by saying I am not currently active in SCCA Club Racing but rather Solo. We are SCCA members. That is where my son and I spend our weekends. So just a couple of observations from that perspective...

I participate in a SCCA STL Region Solo for $40 if I am an SCCA member. If a non member, I have to pay an additional $15 for a weekend membership to be covered on the insurance. I get six runs.

I participate in NASA Central Region AuxoX. NASA AutoX events are actually two events in one day. A morning event, lunch, then an afternoon event. You can do one or the other or both. If you compete in one event for the day, $35. You compete in both events, $50. No upcharge for not being a NASA member. I get six runs per 'event'.

Both organizations hold their Solo/AutoX events at the same facilities, offering the same amenities. There is quite often the same cars and drivers at either.

I am an SCCA member at $90 per year. NASA is $45 per year.

So, why the discrepancy in fees? How is NASA able to provide the exact same AutoX experience for less money? I ask because I truly do not know. But perhaps therein lies the issues with SCCA? Is NASA's CODB that much less than SCCA?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:59 am 

Todd Benne wrote:
I'll preface my thoughts by saying I am not currently active in SCCA Club Racing but rather Solo. We are SCCA members. That is where my son and I spend our weekends. So just a couple of observations from that perspective...

I participate in a SCCA STL Region Solo for $40 if I am an SCCA member. If a non member, I have to pay an additional $15 for a weekend membership to be covered on the insurance. I get six runs.

I participate in NASA Central Region AuxoX. NASA AutoX events are actually two events in one day. A morning event, lunch, then an afternoon event. You can do one or the other or both. If you compete in one event for the day, $35. You compete in both events, $50. No upcharge for not being a NASA member. I get six runs per 'event'.

Both organizations hold their Solo/AutoX events at the same facilities, offering the same amenities. There is quite often the same cars and drivers at either.

I am an SCCA member at $90 per year. NASA is $45 per year.

So, why the discrepancy in fees? How is NASA able to provide the exact same AutoX experience for less money? I ask because I truly do not know. But perhaps therein lies the issues with SCCA? Is NASA's CODB that much less than SCCA?

You run with NASA and have general liability insurance for the facility. Run with SCCA and you are covered under the clubs medical insurance for injury, etc. That is the reason you have to either be a member, or pay weekend membership fee. SCCA has some of the best insurance in sports.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:27 am 

Now see, that's the reasoning I knew I would receive. It's the insurance. That seems to be the retort every time cost for SCCA are brought up.

So let's play devil's advocate. If the SCCA removed the medical insurance, would you all quit racing with them? Is insurance the mitigating factor as to how you chose to run with SCCA? Lesser insurance seems to work for NASA. They utilize the same venues, at times have larger entries, have similar style of cars etc. So what makes the SCCA insurance underwriter smarter than say NASA's? Do you think NASA said screw those drivers, let's get cheap insurance? Of course not.

The issue with the SCCA is the legacy of entrenchment in the same thought process year after year and over burden of so much bureaucracy that they cannot make a business model change and provide growth and survival. Plain and simple. It's always the same motto...that's the way we have always done it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next