prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:46 am 

A couple of passing thoughts pertaining to what was said by Mr. Harlan and Mr. Haynes.

I just renewed my SCCA membership in April. It was $90. I was told on the phone that $70 went to National, $20 to St. Louis Region. What if that split was reversed? Or divided 50/50? I would venture a guess that regions would become much more solvent? Force Topeka to get their business in order?

As Joe said, "because that's the way we have always done it" isn't a business plan or model. It's a bad habit.

I was told, as of one week ago, that at least here, road racing is a major loss. Hence no racing at Gateway save for one Majors is it in June? The profit center is Solo, RallyX, PDX. Is that the general consensus around the country?

Oh yeah, Matt, no, I have no desire to move. I own a 31 year long business here in the St. Louis area as well as family.

I'm off to shake the money tree. The kid has a list of goodies for the Solo 'Stang we "must" have. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:02 am 

Todd Benne wrote:
A couple of passing thoughts pertaining to what was said by Mr. Harlan and Mr. Haynes.

I just renewed my SCCA membership in April. It was $90. I was told on the phone that $70 went to National, $20 to St. Louis Region. What if that split was reversed? Or divided 50/50? I would venture a guess that regions would become much more solvent? Force Topeka to get their business in order?

As Joe said, "because that's the way we have always done it" isn't a business plan or model. It's a bad habit.

I was told, as of one week ago, that at least here, road racing is a major loss. Hence no racing at Gateway save for one Majors is it in June? The profit center is Solo, RallyX, PDX. Is that the general consensus around the country?

Oh yeah, Matt, no, I have no desire to move. I own a 31 year long business here in the St. Louis area as well as family.

I'm off to shake the money tree. The kid has a list of goodies for the Solo 'Stang we "must" have. :shock:

YOu cannot convince me that 500 entries at 1000 dollars a piece Is a money loser... There Is no way that Nationals fixed cost is over 100k to host that event...Unless we are way over paying for everyone and everything!

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:14 am 

Joe, I guess it depends on the rental deal for the facility including ambulance and EV. Most big facilities insist you use their Medical and EV at an additional cost. Then, toss is security and meals/social which again the track controls. Insurance still comes out of the pie. Then, add in the staff travel costs plus the costs of the various top officials. Just calculate rental cars and hotel for a week and it goes up fast. Many of the Chiefs plus the top Stewards get some sort of per Diem. Then, you throw in the little items like winners flags, jackets, hats and needed supplies. And, I'm not sure it is still the case, but the race chairman used to get a fee for all that work.

Yes, there's a lot coming in but it goes back out quickly. I don't believe the Runoffs this year will make any profit but they do have a surplus from Indy to fall back upon. And VIR will again generate a surplus. I really don't believe there is a lot of waste. Maybe in the past, but not now.

There has been a big push this year from the new CEO to go after the new members. My concern and I did voice it at the National Convention is not to forget the members who have been with the Club for 30 plus years. It's easy to do since they are already there. If SCCA could retain 50 % of the membership, we would double our membership in a couple of years. But we don't and we never have. Solve that problem and most everything else gets fixed. Maybe some of you have that answer.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:36 am 

FP Racer wrote:
Joe, I guess it depends on the rental deal for the facility including ambulance and EV. Most big facilities insist you use their Medical and EV at an additional cost. Then, toss is security and meals/social which again the track controls. Insurance still comes out of the pie. Then, add in the staff travel costs plus the costs of the various top officials. Just calculate rental cars and hotel for a week and it goes up fast. Many of the Chiefs plus the top Stewards get some sort of per Diem. Then, you throw in the little items like winners flags, jackets, hats and needed supplies. And, I'm not sure it is still the case, but the race chairman used to get a fee for all that work.

Yes, there's a lot coming in but it goes back out quickly. I don't believe the Runoffs this year will make any profit but they do have a surplus from Indy to fall back upon. And VIR will again generate a surplus. I really don't believe there is a lot of waste. Maybe in the past, but not now.

There has been a big push this year from the new CEO to go after the new members. My concern and I did voice it at the National Convention is not to forget the members who have been with the Club for 30 plus years. It's easy to do since they are already there. If SCCA could retain 50 % of the membership, we would double our membership in a couple of years. But we don't and we never have. Solve that problem and most everything else gets fixed. Maybe some of you have that answer.

If we had a decent product Tracks would want us...:) If the CEO wants Members then he has my number...I could develop a plan that would get members.. I have a proven track record. At 1050 an entry there is no excuse not to make a profit.. All of the vintage groups make money at this venue...

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:59 pm 

$750,000 divided by $1050 is 714

So ......Assuming RunOffs are break even, 714 drivers could enter a RunOffs without paying any entry fee at all. ($0) and the RunOffs still not lose more than Pro Racing did.

Just saying.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:46 pm 

Joe Harlan wrote:
FP Racer wrote:

If we had a decent product Tracks would want us...:) If the CEO wants Members then he has my number...I could develop a plan that would get members.. I have a proven track record. At 1050 an entry there is no excuse not to make a profit.. All of the vintage groups make money at this venue...

To be fair, most vintage groups only rent the track for 3 days. The for-profit vintage organizations charge about an equal entry fee as SCCA does for the entire week. I don't know how it is now, but it use to be the Watkins Glen was the only profitable event for SVRA (I'm talking ten years ago at least) and they ran the other races at a loss. The all volunteer ones are less, but they are really, all volunteer and typically rent the big tracks out of peak season.

SCCA could try to go the AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) model. Corporate is a essentially a political lobbying firm for the industry and it provides sanctions for races (flat track, motocross, road racing, hillclimbing, etc), but the risk is on the promoter (flat track) or leasee (MotoAmerica).