prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:18 pm 

No doubt you all felt the enlightenment that befell all the true believers of all things Spridget and Prod ...the reunification of the great schism that divides our two common beliefs.
Yes today it was as though the holy trinity gathered on a sacred place - the paddock at Gingerman, where the clouds parted and the sun shown down upon them: the Jim Donato high priest of VSCDA, the Dayle Frame follower keeper of all things BMC in the land of the SCCA and the Stan Mason apostle of all things truly Healey.
And so it was written that all SCCA prod Spridgets will be welcome at this great pilgrimidge to Road America to so celebrate what Healey had wrought - it was also written that drivers of the sacred Spridget shall have competed to bring honor to the marque within two years of this blessed event - and proof, in the form of results, shall be required. The Dayle Frame pondered this and said it was good.
It was also written that Prod cars may so compete on the slicks of which they are so shod - the Jim Donato pondered this and said it is good. The Stan Mason esclcaimed that the church of Road America is large with room to accomadate all worshippers of this great marque regardless of lap times - and the Dayle Frame and the Jim Donato pondered this and said it was true and good.
And so it shall be written upon the VSCDA.org that entries shall be open with 30 days and all shall be welcome - bring parts so as to offer up to the marque.
Erick Zanner - faithful scribe and believer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:20 pm 

I’ll help decipher "Cardinal" Zanner’s eloquent post.

I was at GMan today for a VSCDA event. I was there to schmooze with friends who were working, driving and stewarding there. At lunch, I was chatting withsome VSCDA management (Jim & Stan) about the requirements for entering the VSCDA event at RA in September. They were completely accommodating as their goal is to have as many Sprites (no matter the prep level) at this event.....strength in numbers.

We discussed the ‘vintage spirit’......like most vintage racing groups they have a strict policy about contact, four wheels off, etc. I get that....but I’m in this for the competition too. I also like a set of rules that are followed and monitored for compliance.

So here’s the details we discussed:
1. Our logbooks will be accepted but they’ll issue a VSCDA logbook.
2. As long as you’ve raced in the last two years and you medical is up to date, your SCCA license is viable to compete in VSCDA.
3. I was told the entry fee would be roughly $475 for the three day event. Just an estimate at this time.
4. They said registration would be open in a month or so....again, an estimate. BTW, they don’t do online registration so having your info and car in MSR is of no use. This means a little hill to climb.

The question I forgot to ask was whether an SCCA competitor at a VSCDA event needs to be a VSCDA member. SCCA, of course, has weekend memberships so a non SCCA person can pay $15, become a member for the weekend, participate at the event and move on. Does VSCDA have such a requirement? Do they have a commensurate membership plan? If so, what does being a VSCDA member cost?

I’m sure Erick will carry some water on this and reach out to his VSCDA colleagues. He can keep us in the loop. After chatting with Stan and Jim, I wanna get my shit together and make this event. How cool would it be to have dozens of Sprites paddocked and racing together? A little cross pollination would be nice. Meeting a wide variety of other Spritaholics and schmoozer over a hot grill and a cold keg.

So let’s keep this thread updated and we’ll see where this takes us.

Dayle

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:24 am 

Be careful, you may never want to go back to SCCA racing after racing with a good grassroots vintage group :) This is gonna be a big time race, I have been following Tom Colby's (Speedwell) Spridget build for this event out on the West Coast. You used read here about people who left SCCA mad to go vintage racing, but I am not one of those folks, I still love the club, but I love my vintage racing even more, kinda like the club used to be like 30 years ago. I was always told vintage racing entries were too high, and they didn't really race in vintage, ROTFLMAO, nothing could be further from the truth, truth beit, I race with more cars in cars in class than I ever did in the SCCA , the level up front in the pack is first class, we race hard, but we race clean, I get more track time for less money, and the feed us really well, and they don't serve cheap beer :) Every time I see one of my buddies racing a Spridget, or MGB in the SCCA, I keep thinking, damn dude you are missing out. At a special MG only event race, a few years ago, in the MGB class I raced with 35 MGBs, I like to tell folks, if that isn't the runoffs level competition, I'll kiss your ass. Even at the normal vintage races I normally race with 15-20 cars in my class every race. No more racing with 3-5 guys for national pints now I race with bunch of my kind, and purely race for fun. I still spectate the runoffs when I can, I hung out with Brian and Joe a few years back at Mid Ohio, but every time I get the urge to do SCCA again, I have to pinch myself, and remember how good I got it in vintage.

Also as engine builder, I am more challenged with the more liberal engine rules of vintage.I get to do way more now than I ever did with a SCCA motor. Imagine on your MGB, or Spridget if you can run whatever valve you can fit in your head (no metl restriction, you want to spring for titanium valves, go for it) , run longer rods/shorter pistons, run a single Weber (no restriction on chokes size) or any two SU you want, you think you can make your 1275 run on two HS6s, go for it. The only thing I can't do is run a crankfire ignition, but my Mallory Unilite works flawlessly, and dry sump, but I can and do run a single stage external oil pump. Right now due to the crappy rod bearing choices I have with the MGB, I preparing a crank that was turned down to run Honda King Racing XPC rod bearings, I would not be able to do that in the SCCA. OH and my vintage race tires while not as fast as the slicks I grew up on, actually make my car feel like it has more HP, and my race tire budget is way less than it ever was with the SCCA. OH and I a not bound to anyone's schedule, there are many vintage race groups and you can go can race with any of them you want to, you can literally make your runoffs wherever you an them to be.

I was just ask had to help with 2020 MGVR (MG Vintage Racers) focus event we are hoping make it MG vs Triumph race, same deal later spec cars can run at this event. It will be at a major vintage racing event that attracts more spectators than the runoffs with as much to do off track, as on track. You can get bet your ass I will try my best to make this the largest MG vs Triumph race ever held in the US, quite possibly the world.

There are many double dippers that race both vintage and SCCA, and many familiar faces in the paddock. Bottom line, this ain't your grandfather's vintage racing anymore, this is more like racing's version of fantasy league baseball camp :D

http://www.acmespeedshop.com
(864) 370-3000

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:58 am 

The question I forgot to ask was whether an SCCA competitor at a VSCDA event needs to be a VSCDA member. SCCA, of course, has weekend memberships so a non SCCA person can pay $15, become a member for the weekend, participate at the event and move on. Does VSCDA have such a requirement? Do they have a commensurate membership plan? If so, what does being a VSCDA member cost?

Answer is yes, you need to "belong".... last year for Kastner Cup, it was 50 bucks for a one race membership... a previous year, for Elva deal, cost me 75 extra (think 50 of that was offset for bringing an Elva...discounted). Not best deal for single event, but was told had to do with their insurance provider... This year, I renewed in Jan. for full year at 100....don't know current quote, but available on VSCDA site. Pretty far from Florida, but they do do a great job... Keeping my VDCA membership, too... FWI...CVAR requires you to also join,....don't believe VRG did 2 years ago... and, while VSCDA is accepting SCCA lic, for this, others don't....so make sure before spending big money....

Bob L.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:27 pm 

Check out this group for a license

http://www.the-vmc.com/racing_license_app.htm

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:16 pm 

FIAT90FP wrote:
Check out this group for a license

http://www.the-vmc.com/racing_license_app.htm

Yes that licence would be good at most all vintage groups. Now some groups will still charge non member surcharge, all that really means is the thier members get discount, some groups are sister groups like the VDCA and VRG, no non member surcharges apply wit those two groups,and their members. THis becoming less and less between groups to encourage more people to travel and race with a given group. I don't think for example the VDCA has any non member upcharges.

http://www.acmespeedshop.com
(864) 370-3000

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:33 pm 

thanks to jim, dayle, and stan for making this happen!!

looking forward to participating.

tim

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:06 am 

I'm still trying to nail down an arrive and drive Spridget to rent for the weekend. If anyone has anything available please give me a call. I'm still actively racing these days doing endurance Champ, AER, Lemons (pretty crazy) events.

Thanks, Jay c: 317-473-2124

"I am merely a visitor on this planet"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:58 am 

Can someone who attended put out a report on this event. I wanted to go but couldn't make it.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:16 pm 

I was there and this is just my personal opinions.

The bad stuff, it was a little disorganized at times. The grids were a mess, I don't even think the people running the grid for the Spriget
races knew what was going on, at least that's what one of them told me when I asked him about all the problems.
The events, as in the free food, were hard to find. I think the people with VSCDA knew what was where but others did not.
The mandatory pre-race drivers meeting started with a promo for the race sponsors that was too long to make a bunch of people that had paid $600
a piece to be there sit through. And the meeting itself was run like an introduction to your 1st day in prison. As in "If you do this [ insert what ever]
you will be black flagged. It just seemed a little more than what is really required to get your points across, but maybe they know their racers better than I do.
The Tech was more time consuming and complicated than it needed to be too. I was disappointed to see their head steward was someone I have had dealings with
in the past as a SCCA director and found him at that time to be a totally untrustworthy person. I think they could do better.

The good parts, The spriget entry was as big as the good days at the old SVRA races at Watkins Glen I have been to in the past, and overall the cars were generally very well prepared and presented. And if you were a small production car you had a lot of track time. I ran my first race at RA June sprints in 1974 and it had a little of the feel of a SCCA race from that time, small tires and no fender flairs. It was a lot of fun seeing friends from the SCCA days again and new guys that have just started with the vintage racing.
The weather was spectacular and it was a very good event.

rick haynes