prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Road Atlanta
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:37 am 

We're taking a Z to race at The Mitty. Never been there. Will have motorhome and 24 enclosed trailer. Best place to paddock???

Thanks.

Bob stream

Post subject: Re: Road Atlanta
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:59 am 

We did the Mitty a few years back when BMW was the featured Marque.

We showed up Thursday around noon and the paddock was already full. We were down on the very bottom of the old paddock by the creek and just outside T1.

Wasn't a bad spot - power just across the creek, technically I don't think there is any paddock power at RA but many years of racing folks have made their own modifications. We actually had a little space to sprawl out rather than being cramped in up top.

My advice would be to arrive early (Wednesday before the Thursday Test) or plan on not being very picky about your spot.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:42 pm 

There are some places with power. Mostly along the edge of the top of the paddock. And some are even for RV's. But not that many.

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:40 am 

The pro paddock will be also open. Expect about 400 entries, so it is very full paddock and track. I can't say it is my favorite event, kinda like a SCCA race, too many different type of cars grouped together, that maybe should not be grouped together. I don't really think of the Mitty as a real race, more like rush hour traffic at racing speeds. You gotta do the Mitty one time, to get why you don't want to do the Mitty again :)

http://www.acmespeedshop.com
(864) 370-3000

Last edited by Acme Speed Shop on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:17 am 

Thanks for the info. Probably a one time deal for us. Howard is looking forward to running with 20 plus Z's.

Bob Stream

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 am 

Acme Speed Shop wrote:
The pro paddock will be also open. Expect about 400 entries, so it is very full paddock and track. I can't say it is my favorite event, kinda like a SCCA race, too many different type of car grouped together, that maybe should not be grouped together. I don't really think of the Mitty as a real race, more like rush hour traffic at racing speeds. You gotta do the Mitty one time, to get why you don't want to do the Mitty again :)

I always thought that is why it's fun? Plus some of the vintage guys will race hard.

This will be my fourth in a row, don't plan on quitting now!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:12 am 

The Mitty is more than a race. It is both a gathering and a happening. You will encounter 100's of people who will tell you either their first car was what you are driving, their mother/father had one in college or they always wanted one. Relish the attention.

Sit back and enjoy! And yes, a race may actually break out.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:23 am 

Simon Tibbett wrote:
Acme Speed Shop wrote:
The pro paddock will be also open. Expect about 400 entries, so it is very full paddock and track. I can't say it is my favorite event, kinda like a SCCA race, too many different type of car grouped together, that maybe should not be grouped together. I don't really think of the Mitty as a real race, more like rush hour traffic at racing speeds. You gotta do the Mitty one time, to get why you don't want to do the Mitty again :)

I always thought that is why it's fun? Plus some of the vintage guys will race hard.

This will be my fourth in a row, don't plan on quitting now!

Well I race a G3 EP MGB, if I go to Mitty, I am in a big group with lots of mismatched stuff and maybe have 2-3 real G3 EP cars to race with, I go to VDCA race I got over dozen good G3 EP to race with,and three time the track time for half the price. Here's what I am talking about, see the two vintage sports racers with me sandwiched in between them on the entry to T5, well course they past me, but here's the punch line we all put in the same class. Now at times the Mitty will put on a special make reunion type race, for us that 2005, when we had both the MG and Triumph groups running together, now that was a epic race, and they all raced together in one group, I seen the same thing for just Triumph, also saw big gatherings of Corvairs, Mazdas, Zs, Porsche, so if you are going to be part of some sort of reunion then OK, if you are just racing a car in what they call a normal group, then it's a hodgepodge of different cars poorly grouped together. I have probably been to 10 Mittys, RA is 100 from house, but unless it is special reunion race, I won't be back, damn near melting my engine down with the grid workers trying to get a 63 field of nothingness out on try was enough for me to not come back. Now I'll will go to the November VDCA race there, that's a real race weekend. In closing, for me the Mitty is great for spectating, but not so great for race groups, or good class competition, and not such a good bang for the buck on track time either, but anyone that race a vintage prod car already knows this, my opinion is far from being abnormal.

http://www.acmespeedshop.com
(864) 370-3000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:53 am 

Agree with Hap. We raced once there and that was way long ago. For racing, find a race organization.

And, yes, Mitty, is way more sensible to spectate. Wanna race? Come to Roebling road next weekend and run the Jim Stark Double SARRC/V8RRS races.

See you there.

Resting today. Did a short track race, 150 laps, last night at Orange County Speedway in NC. Started 27 Super Late Models on .4 mile track. Dennis Setzer's son, Brandon was on pole with a record 13.595 second qualifying lap. Gap over the top 20 was .478 seconds. Georgia's own Bubba Pollard won over Stephen Nasse, $10,000 to win. Interesting two developmental driver females in their first race both finished on lead lap in 10th & 11th and neither had a scratch on car. Same with Bubba. Also had 100 lap Late Model Stock with Junior Motorsports driver Deac McCaskill winning. Full results in Race Monitor under Mid Atlantic Classic.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:30 pm 

To each his own I guess. lol I had way more fun racing HSR in my HP Rabbit than HP with SCCA, even if there were other HP cars. Massive fields of various speeds makes things fun to me.