prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: URGENT ACTION NEEDED
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:30 pm 

All Prod and GTL Drivers
As you may know for the past two years the Rocky Mountain Division has Gerrymandered their classes into run groups that put GTL into Big Bore and T2 and T3 into Small Bore. This was done to appease a RMD Driver wanting to campaign both a T1 and a T2 car on the same majors day. I have been trying to get this resolved with the Division Exec Steward and he is looking for input from Racers to see if this policy has an effect on whether Small Bore competitors are being chased off by having to run with big bore cars. I know that many of you have expressed your displeasure with this situation.. Phil Shuey our Exec Steward is looking for input today before he makes a decision on this subject. Here are the Run Groups that we have run for two years and what they are planning for this year until I complained:

Group 1: T2, T3, T4, EP,FP,HP,STL,STU,BSpec This is a problem!

Group 2 FF,FV,F5

Group 3: GT1,GT2,GT3, GTL,T1, AS This is a problem

Group 4 SM,SRF3

Group 5 FA,FB,FC,FE,FM,P1,P2

What I have proposed is as follows with the accompanied explanations.:

I used the last three years at HPR July races for the estimated entries.

Small Bore: B-Spec, EP,FP,HP,GTL,SM estimated entries=15
Big Bore: AS,GT1,GT2,GT3,T1 estimated entries= 12
DOT Tire Challenge: T2,T3,T4,STU,STL estimated entries=14
Small Formula: F5,FF,FV,FM estimated entries=13.34
Wings and Things: FA,FB,FC,FE,P1,P2,SRF3 estimated entries= 23

I think this would provide a better solution to everything. Combining of classes is always an exercise in compromise. I tried to take as many things into consideration as I could to come up with this one.

The groups are better balanced from a size and performance standpoint. SRF3 is now a much faster class than SRF was and will fit better with Wings and Things than with SM. If their numbers continue like they have, they could and should ask for a split start. The few SM cars we still have running Majors will fit in well with Small Bore. GTL is back in Small Bore where it belongs. I put FM in with Small Formula, they have run there before with no issues and we only have a couple showing up now. It also helps to balance the numbers.

So Big Bore is truly Big Bore, Small Bore is truly Small Bore, the Big DOT Tire group is good sized, the very small Small Formula group is bumped 2.3 entries with the addition of FM. Wings and Things will be a great group once again. We have had ZERO FC or FE entries the past two years! This change will bolster that run group up again.

The safety issues that I have with small bore are addressed. Five groups are addressed. Mike Pettiford is given his ability to campaign both T1 and T2 in separate groups. The balance of group size is addressed. The order and rotation of the groups should be such that Mike is not running back to back. The other double dipper we had last year was Max Nufer, SM and GT2, so maybe rotating Open and Closed would solve both Mikes and Max's getting to grid issues. Like I said I tried to take as many thing into consideration as possible.

Please contact Phil Shuey and explain to him that running bad run groups does matter, and people will vote with their feet by walking away. It seems that entry dollars are his primary concern.

Phil Shuey RMD Executive Steward shuey_p@comcast.net

phone 303-699-4744 [b] PLEASE ACT NOW, THIS IS URGENT AS SUPPS ARE BEING PREPARED

[/b]

Thanks,

Paul Jensen
FP#88
member #306467

FP Miata #88

Post subject: Re: URGENT ACTION NEEDED
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:45 pm 

Paul, well thought out and it looks good to me. However I am wondering with the Runnoffs on the west coast do you think your numbers in each group will increase from past years? If they do then this may not work as well.

Charlie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:07 pm 

Charlie,
With the fact that the Mid Div guys have three majors before our first event I'm afraid our counts will be down! If Wings and Things gets too big we could split out SRF3.

FP Miata #88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:09 pm 

please fire off an email supporting the change in groups to Phil Shuey shuey_p@comcast.net

FP Miata #88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:11 pm 

All of that so that 1 competitor can run in 2 classes with the same car. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

Would this happen to be Michael Pettiford ?

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 GTL Sunoco Hard Charger
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:17 pm 

Absolutely, But it's not about Mike, it's about safety and I came up with proper run groups that allow him and Max Nufer to run both of their cars and balanced the groups better than they were.
Phil Shuey needs input today to make a decision, please fire off an email.

FP Miata #88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:51 pm 

E-mail sent.

Maybe I'll call their bluff and register my GTL car in GT3 and GT2 also. No back to back groups please.

Last year they did this and I was told it would never happen again.

I got my renewal in the mail yesterday, what Kansas region should I join?

2009 Mazda MX-5 12A GTL #04
SCCA Member #97968

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:33 am 

Paul

Ann Marie and I have sent a note to Phil supporting your suggestion for class group. Thanks for being part of the solution.

Jim and Ann Marie Stinehelfer
Colorado Region Board Members

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:24 am 

Paul, there is really no need for them to do this now that drivers only need three events to qualify for the Runoffs. They can enter T1 one day and T2 the next. They must run three weekends so points are of no real concern since it's the big show you want to win.

Heck, at our mid year Majors at Roebling Road last year, we had three drivers enter one car in three different classes and each got an event credit to go to Indy, with one running the qualifying session, another the first race and the third one the second race. They paid three entry fees and were glad to get the credits. We accommodated by allowing them use the same car number and transponder.

There is no reason to risk people well being by making the groups so incompatible. Of course, we used to do it at Texas World, but we had agreements of who ran high and who ran low plus no dive bombing out class cars. Now, I don't believe it would work. There is not the respect there used to be.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:33 am 

I'd love to know what blackmail evidence Mike has against the club. He's been getting away with running the other drivers around for a decade.

Jon I'm with you and changing my region of record. I run HPT twice a year anyway.