prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Kudos to Summit Racing..
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:33 pm 

Bought some Hawk pads a while back to replenish my stash. As the car has been to a whopping one race since last May thanks to hurricanes and self-inflicted vehicular damage, I simply haven't needed more pads until now.

I open up the box to install fresh pads before Hallett, and there should be two inner, two outer pads in the box. instead there's 4 outer pads. 1000% Hawk goof since they're still in the shrink wrap from the factory.

I call Hawk and get the answering machine (as has been previous experience with them).

I have no idea where I bought them since I often buy through Summit, Hawk, MazdaComp, and a couple other online retailers.. so just for grins, I log into my Summit account and click order history. There's my list of orders. let's try 'June 2017' since that's just after my last Majors race, bam.. there's the order. So I call Summit customer service expecting to be referred to Hawk as a warranty issue for a 9 month old mistake. Less than 2 minutes on the phone with Summit's customer service guy, and they've called it 'missing parts'. They are overnighting me another set of pads from inventory. No photos/proof required, no muss, no fuss, they just took my word for it as an honest person and gave an immediate resolution to my problem.

Thanks, Summit! This is why I buy from you guys.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:23 pm 

Great report!

Awesome to hear about that kind of interaction!

I can't remember the time someone didn't require a picture to "prove" I was telling the truth. Even if they'd seen the problem many times before.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:57 pm 

Thanks for sharing that, I have been increasing my business with Summit - easy to do business with and now nice to know they "do the right thing" right from the get go!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:48 pm 

Summit's customer service is really fantastic. They get it.

I feel like they actually know (and appreciate) that they live and die by reputation on forums just like this one in this day.

I was having trouble with muffler cans cracking,all purchased through Summit.
I tried a few different brands, and they just keep exchanging me mufflers until we found one that would hold up.
They were really impressive during that muffler period.
My long time muffler the Hooker Max Flow,, first one lasted 6 years,,, then in that interim Hooker moved production of that muffler to China vs. USA.
I bought a nice new one, blew it up in one race weekend. The Summit guy wouldn't outright say out loud thats what happened, but he let me say it and just plowed through to help me with my problem.

I just wish there was any kind of Summit SCCA discount. We wear their decals, but they dont seem to acknowledge anywhere on the site that that I saw that they are the title sponsor of SCCA Club Racing (granted I havent bought anything in a couple months, but I have bought much stuff since they took over).
I'm kind of surprised by that.

88 BMW M3 - SPU #98

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:15 am 

Been with Summit since the mid '90s. If it's not car specific I buy everything I can from them. There's no other company we deal with that comes close to the service. One thing to know... if you don't find what you need in the catalog, paper or on line, call them. They have a ton of sources for weird stuff.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:03 am 

Bob Hess wrote:
Been with Summit since the mid '90s. If it's not car specific I buy everything I can from them. There's no other company we deal with that comes close to the service. One thing to know... if you don't find what you need in the catalog, paper or on line, call them. They have a ton of sources for weird stuff.

Bob

I'm with Jimmy on the SCCA discount. Thought even a little off would be something.
But again what Bob says is absolutely true on service. I started using them in the mid '90s also for my open wheel modified.
I have no problem picking extra stuff every order just to get free shipping.
I've ordered stuff that almost all was shipped from Georgia with a lone O ring shipped from Ohio.
They both get to my door at the same time. That kind of service is worth something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:54 am 

Guys,

As a SCCA member I signed up for the Summit proshop program and do get a discount, I am surprised often by the savings..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:05 am 

Bill Trainer wrote:
Guys,

As a SCCA member I signed up for the Summit proshop program and do get a discount, I am surprised often by the savings..

Great recommendation.
Wish I had done this during The Rebuild. Probably had 3 shipments a week for 8 weeks getting the car back together...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:41 am 

I've had other similar experiences in the past as well. I had a Carter fuel pump sieze on me about 2 weeks out of warranty period a while back. I called and explained the problem and let them know the thing had a whopping 10hrs or so of run time before it failed (and I'm 99.99% confident the cause of the failure was lack of use!). They couldn't do anything about the pump itself as it wasn't under warranty, but they sold me a replacement enough of a discount that I was quite happy with the resolution.

I think part of the deal with service like this is the bargaining power of a large company with the manufacturers. they are large enough to write off a few small parts that come back (like a blown up muffler) even if the manufacturer won't help with warranty. but they're also large enough to strongarm the manufacturer into helping deal with those issues.. I could imagine they have some agreements with the larger places where they settle up the warranty finances on a regular period vs. every single $50 transaction. let the retailer deal with the customer and resolve the problem immediately, and they batch-process the stuff later. so a small 'gimme' here and there will get lost in the wash and nobody bats an eye about $50 on a place they spend $1MM annually. Just my thought.

But yes, I'm certainly happy with their customer service practices. They keep my business by things like that when I call.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:07 am 

Bill Trainer wrote:
Guys,

Someone else mentioned this program back when we all changed stickers over from Safe Racer and I completely forgot about it.
I need to investigate it.

I buy most anything I can from Summit (or McMaster Carr).
I think outside of the few BMW parts left on my car, most of it comes from one of those two vendors.

88 BMW M3 - SPU #98