prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Road Atlanta Majors
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:49 am 

Is anyone going? has anyone seen the schedule and have issues with it (like i do)? no test day, no practice session. Just jump into qualifying and then 2 races and still $575. I know racing is expensive and i normally dont complain about much but i will in this instance. Oh, and cant load in until 7pm fri eve because someone else has rented the track on friday? come on. Rant over.

Post subject: Re: Road Atlanta Majors
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:50 am 

Wow. Glad I had no plans on going this year. Even if I did I think I would have passed. Hopefully this event goes back to a three day event in 2019 at the same price. Have you thought about asking the region why the schedule is the way it is? I will be sending an email.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:13 pm 

i just dont know who to message. I am now contemplating skipping the road atlanta race and just go to nola - which i am not a real fan of. if only the car could run nasa. Decisions, decisions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:23 pm 

Contact Jim Creighton, usually your tech guy but also is totally into and understands the what's and why's of races all over the southeast.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:07 pm 

I contacted bob hudson who is the new head of the region and expressed my disappointment. Im sure he will get a couple of emails about this.

David Dewhurst wrote:
Contact Jim Creighton, usually your tech guy but also is totally into and understands the what's and why's of races all over the southeast.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:36 pm 

Almost all our events are this way.

2009 Mazda MX-5 12A GTL #04
SCCA Member #97968

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:14 am 

They did basically the same thing last year, only two days and only three sessions on track, for too much money. A lot of people who attended in 2016 when it was a standard three day event with five sessions, chose to not attend in 2017 because of it, myself included.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:51 am 

The change from a three day to a two day event was mostly financial. The daily rental fee at Road Atlanta has just gotten so high that the third day costs make it tough to justify. And the no test day is the tracks decision not ours. They have a special Ferrari event and we were told no Friday entry.

And not everyone liked the third day. There were many who said they came to race and wanted us to drop the extra day so they could decrease their expenses. And SCCA imposed a hefty extra fee for the Super Tour status which made that less desirable.

Road Atlanta has had a revolving door of management since it was last sold. Each new manager seems to come up with something new that keeps increasing our costs. There was the extra fee for the use of the pro paddock and this year an extra fee for using the land line communication system. We have very little to negotiate with anymore.

So, we are where we are today. Sorry, if it seems to you that we are appearing to be the bad guys. I just sent an email to the chief of tech asking if we can set up an area in the Friday holding area to do annuals and gear checks so that everyone can get through tech before they get into the paddock. Hope to see you there.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:39 pm 

Not trying to paint anyone as the bad guy. I understand the decisions and we have rented the track for pro testing before and its crazy expensive for a day. Just wish a practice session would be added - not just show up and jump into qualifying. We haven't raced at road atlanta in 2 years as we followed the super tour stuff. This year nola doesn't have enough entries for us to make the trip so decision to stay home and race here was made. I would have thought the track would have been secured for the test day long ago.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:55 pm 

Track will not allow us to do rental day. I convinced the Region to give it a try two years ago and when they, the track, realized what we were doing, they took the test day date away from us.

We have very little say anymore in what dates we get. We do give them the dates we would like, but it's their decision. A few years ago, they changed our March date. We have very little to say other than thank you.

As I said, we are doing the best we can to make things work.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars