prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Road Atlanta Majors
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:38 pm 

FP Racer wrote:
Track will not allow us to do rental day. I convinced the Region to give it a try two years ago and when they, the track, realized what we were doing, they took the test day date away from us.

Thats the craziest thing I ever heard.
What could the reasoning possibly be for something like this?
Are they not in the business of renting track time?
Thats a serious WTF situation there.

88 BMW M3 - SPU #98

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:46 pm 

From an earlier post, another group is renting the track on Friday.

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 GTL Sunoco Hard Charger
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:30 pm 

You misunderstood. The track does normally do the test days and makes good money. I'm not sure what they charge, but assume it is $250 to $300 and they normally have 100 or more cars/ Only costs are a few corner workers and EV crew. We tried to rent track and do test day and that's when they stepped in and said no to us doing the test day rather than them.

It is my understanding and I do not know this for a fact, but I've been told that this is a Ferrari Club event and involves some former F1 Ferrari's. In simple words, most likely very big bucks plus a lot less trouble than doing a SCCA event test day.

So, yes the track is in the business of making money. It's just that they are doing it the easiest way they can. Do I blame them. Nope! They are in the business of short term leasing of real estate. The easier the rental, the better.

As RE of Atlanta Region, I negotiated with four different track owners. And all them were simple compared to the current owners. And since I have been on the BOD, the one job I have not volunteered to get involved with is that one. My mama didn't raise no fool.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:34 am 

Jim,

At least you're good lookin...........better than nothin I suppose! Jay

"I am merely a visitor on this planet"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:30 pm 

Jim. does road atlanta have power in the paddock yet? or is it generators?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:01 am 

They have installed 50 amp hook ups around the perimeter of the pad above tech. And I believe there are still hook ups on the front row of the skid pad. We urge folks to share when possible since there are big gaps with no power. The track is now charging a fee to plug in but so is almost every other track in the Division outside Florida. I don't believe Charlotte charges a fee.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:55 am 

FP Racer wrote:
You misunderstood. The track does normally do the test days and makes good money. I'm not sure what they charge, but assume it is $250 to $300 and they normally have 100 or more cars/ Only costs are a few corner workers and EV crew. We tried to rent track and do test day and that's when they stepped in and said no to us doing the test day rather than them.

It is very unfortunate when a track (or any business) chooses to compete with their customers. In the instance of your Major, the track test day is definitely benefiting from preceding your event.

One thing you may want to consider is a 2.5 day Major. We ran one like this at NJMP. The event started around 1:00 PM on Friday with a practice session for all groups, then proceeded to a qualifying and race on Saturday with a repeat on Sunday. We used Friday morning as a separate (extra cost) test day. We were able to offer this Major at a lower cost than the previous year's 3 day Major and still have the opportunity for independent testing. I don't know this arrangement is feasible in your situation but it does address a couple major problems.

Terry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:12 am 

Terry, that schedule would look great if we charged everyone a test day fee in advance that was not refundable. If we didn't and ended up with a rainy day, we'd be back to paying three days rental with the same income as for two days. I have seen a test day at Road Atlanta with only 15 cars. You have to realize, there is more than just track rental for a SCCA sanctioned day. The required safety equipment, security, the required number of workers and perks for workers including lunches all add up quickly. What a track can do for a test day, we can't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:05 am 

FP Racer wrote:
What a track can do for a test day, we can't.

Jim, just curious here.. "Can't" or "Won't" ?
Not saying it's Ok to skimp on safety, but if we (the SCCA as a whole) adjust how we do things to remove some of the overhead, we can run a lot leaner and make things more affordable. On a test day, is it necessary for a FULL F&C crew, T&S, stewards to all be there?
I've done race weekends at MSRH with 5 corner workers because that's all that showed up. absolutely not ideal for a race weekend, but that's plenty for a practice day where people aren't supposed to be running into each other and fighting for position in a turn..

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:45 am 

Matt93SE wrote:
FP Racer wrote:
What a track can do for a test day, we can't.

Jim, just curious here.. "Can't" or "Won't" ?
Not saying it's Ok to skimp on safety, but if we (the SCCA as a whole) adjust how we do things to remove some of the overhead, we can run a lot leaner and make things more affordable. On a test day, is it necessary for a FULL F&C crew, T&S, stewards to all be there?
I've done race weekends at MSRH with 5 corner workers because that's all that showed up. absolutely not ideal for a race weekend, but that's plenty for a practice day where people aren't supposed to be running into each other and fighting for position in a turn..

That isn't where meaningful cost reductions can be achieved. The big number is track rental. That can have many components so it's probably a good idea to include the cost of ambulance, tow truck, etc., in that number because some tracks require they be hired through them. In some cases they are permanent employees/assets of the track. In other cases they are contractors, but in any event, since they're required (and I don't think anyone would want to get on track without them,) they're best looked at as a package.

Worker lunches, while a cost, don't even register by comparison. Of course, if a track requires use of their own corner workers or you have to hire some of them to fill in the gaps, that's another story.