prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:43 am 

Matt93SE wrote:
Thanks for everyone's input.
Guess my next pair of shoes will have to be a 1/2 size larger! They're comfy as-is, but adding a pair of socks underneath would make it quite a tight fit.

Hey Matt, FWIW, I never changed shoe size when I started doing the sock liners. The cotton socks I buy are pretty thin.
I read about using sock liners on someone's website years ago, then I googled 100% cotton sock no elastic and turns out there is a whole market of them out there.
I "think" the intended market is for people who may be diabetic or maybe people with latex allergies because they have no elastic, but the takeaway is that the sock is as thin as a thin dress sock.

I don't think it will make an impact on your shoe size its so thin, at least it didn't with me.

88 BMW M3 - SPU #98

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:41 am 

ahh ok, that's a good point. I have 'cotton sweatsock' in my brain, which are quite thick. on the days I'm in a hurry and don't put on my proper socks, it's harder to get my shoes on with the cotton because it's >< that close to not fitting. The ball of my foot is quite wide, but the rest is narrow.. so I have to pull the laces quite loose to get my shoes on and then start at the toe and tighten them up one lace at a time. it's a pain when you're in a hurry! And doing that with socks that don't want to slide or bunch up and cause pinch points just makes it take longer to adjust..

BUT... I'm willing to give it a try with the non-elastic socks so I don't have to spend $100 every other year to give my kid nomex puppets.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:48 am 

Mel Profitt, Wiseguy "Only the toes knows" if you are old enough you will remember that show :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:35 pm 

Still using the same socks and shoes I started racing with in the 90's and no holes, must not be driving fast enough :ask:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:53 pm 

I ran my Air Force issued nomex socks for 20 years after I retired and they are still in good condition - must be something with the different grade of yarn.