worn out 225/45/13

Don Foreman

Im looking for a single worn out 225/45/13 tire. I know this is not a common tire for production. The cage is almost done on my project and I want to work on the bodywork over the winter. Vintage classes usually only allow treaded tires. I can pay shipping and other costs through zelle, its fast. The original car had aluminum panels pop riveted and bondo. I have some older fiberglass bodywork but it's going to take some work to get right. I figured If I get a worn out tire under there it will help. I dont want to buy a new set as honestly its will probably be at least two years before they are used.

36907103416_ee24a2bc6a_z.jpg

Are you sure you don't want to run the non DOT Hoosier radial slicks? The specs for 215/530R13 are very close to the DOT ones you list. If you wanted to run those I am sure you can get some take offs since many people run them (and are happy with them). I will have some you can have after Labor Day weekend.

Thank you for the advice. Like you said the radial slicks are pretty close in size. I didn't know about them. Are they as hard to get on and off the wheels? Here in Oregon, I have had wheels damaged by normal tire shops trying to get the cantilever slicks mounted. I was not unhappy to leave those behind just because of that. I'm in no hurry, the car set for 15 years and I just started working on it again recently. My idea was to use a thrown away 225 dot tire for fitting the flares and figuring out wheel offset. Vintage groups are getting more lenient about flares, if the car is period correct. With the small, low hp engine Adam Malley told me that they gained a bit by pulling the flares in tighter for less wind drag.

No worn out DOT 225/45/13 found that people are willing to ship at this point. I will gladly pay shipping to Medford OR. The tire will never be driven on, but they are needed for figuring out flare molds over the winter and wheel offset. Also could use a single 13x7 4x100 wheel in rough shape but that's not as important to the progress. It's a slow project, probably at least 2 years away from running so no use ordering a new tire from tirerack. The suggestion to use a similar sized slick is a good one, if a single dot tire doesn't show up in the next few weeks.

52011080663_a0d790ecca_c.jpg

Might look at the Nankang AR1 . keep them bagged and you should be able to use them in over a year .
I used them for a year and sold them to the next guy. Great tire . 235/45/ 13 should fill up theat wheel house and be Vintage legal and fast enough for SCCA regionals.

Waiving the white flag looking for worn out dot tires. I sent Tom a pm about the similarly sized slicks. I think they are close in size so using them to figure out wheel offset and flair size should work too with leaving a bit of space for variations. The project is very slow, I would rather just pay for junk tires now and not worry about keeping them bagged for two years.

Thanks for the offer! I appreciate that. I live in a rural area and the tire shops are not performance oriented. I don't think they would mount a corded tire even if I told them it was for checking spacing only. I had one local shop refuse to fix a flat because they said the tire was too old. I took it to another shop and they warned me but still fixed it. I just gave up and ordered one new R888r toyo. I will keep it bagged and use it on the rear in a few years.

Back