Who is in your race group? Do you like your race group?

dave parker":7ubuhqrx said:
Our Small Bore production group in the DC Region is EP, FP, HP, GTL, GTP (GT Pinto), LC (Legends Cars) SPU (Super Production Under 2.5L), STU, and STL. I will say that our Small Bore group is a pretty good group to race with.
I would agree. Sounds like a great group.

dave parker":7ubuhqrx said:
We have large enough participation in SM that they have their own run group, we also have SSM that is large enough to have its own run group as well.
Same here, the problem is that our prod/GTL classes are so small they just put us in with a ton of Miatas. This is why I enjoyed running with SRF more. I felt that they have a bit more respect than the Miatas. Ideally I would love to run in a group that is set up like yours in DC. Unfortunately, I don't see me effecting the grouping by just not showing up.

dave parker":1g21riil said:
Our Small Bore production group in the DC Region is EP, FP, HP, GTL, GTP (GT Pinto), LC (Legends Cars) SPU (Super Production Under 2.5L), STU, and STL.
I will say that our Small Bore group is a pretty good group to race with. The participants respect each other and each others equipment. We do not have much (if any) beat and bang going on, and we want it to stay that way.

We have large enough participation in SM that they have their own run group, we also have SSM (region specific more restricted prep SM class) that is large enough to have its own run group as well.

Again, I would not tell another region how it should run its program or create its race groups. However, I would vote with my feet and my wallet by not participating in a race grouping that I did not agree with.

cheers
dave parker

I agree with Dave 1000%.
We are blessed to have such a great group,,, or I think I should say,,, I am blessed to have been welcomed by such a great race group.
MARRS Small Bore is a fantastic group of people to race with.
The most fun I have ever had in this car hobby.
I also agree with Dave is I'd probably "not" race with a group or region if they had (IMHO) bad groupings. Our MARRS small bore group is really really good. I don't think I would be saying the same thing if we had SM,SSM or SRF in our group.

When I first started with the MARRS group Dave hit the nail on the head by saying "We are the friendly run group" and he was 100% correct.
We have lots of people with older or hand fabricated cars.
No one wants to be the driver to break anyone else's car. The driving level and the level of respect between racers is very impressive.
I fully enjoy my race group.

Just for reference, this is the way we will be running our Labor Day Three Way (yes, you read that right: double rational and pdx) and most other events in the Houston Region. If we were to have 6 race groups, FV, F5 & FF would get their own group. As a division, we created a Club Racing Committee to coordinate logistics for our events in an effort to provide cohesiveness throughout the division. We are working on a 4 race group schedule that would allow us to run a PDX group and a TT group, all in the same weekend. If anyone would like feedback on our events, just shoot me an email or send me a pm.

1. SRF, FV, F5
2. BG*, EP, FP, GTL, HP, ITA*, ITB*, ITC*, SPB*, SRX7*, SSC, STL, STU, T3, LC
3. SM , SM5*
4. AS, GT1, GT2, GT3, GTA*, ITE*, ITR*, ITS*, SP*, SSB, ST*, STO, T1, T2
5. ASR*, CSR, DSR, FA, FB, FC, FE, FM, FS*, S2, FF, FST*, CF*
6. PDX
* Regional only classes

From a racer standpoint, I love my group. We all like each other, usually, so the racing is good and respectful.

I was going to bring that up and say send me comments and I would pass them along. Since Syd in on the committee cut out the middle man and sent them direct.

Syd, with the slow decline in SM how much longer before we can combine them with another group?

jdh":3inl289o said:
Syd, with the slow decline in SM how much longer before we can combine them with another group?
Stick 'em in with SRF or FM so we only have one extended cleanup session per race day. :p

Our race group gets along pretty well until those damn EP RX7s get in the way...

Matt93SE":1nu8l28r said:
jdh":1nu8l28r said:
Stick 'em in with SRF or FM so we only have one extended cleanup session per race day. :p

Our race group gets along pretty well until those damn EP RX7s get in the way...

I've been suggesting SRF/SM for years mainly for that reason. It would still leave wings and things.

Here is one suggestion that has been made to the committee (Matt you are going to LOVE this one)
1. Fast open wheel
2. Slow open wheel
3. Fast closed wheel
4. Slow closed wheel
5. PDX
6. Time Trials

jdh":365jz4k8 said:
Here is one suggestion that has been made to the committee (Matt you are going to LOVE this one)

3. Fast closed wheel
4. Slow closed wheel

I'm not opposed to that.. what would be considered fast or slow? I could see the line drawn right about EP/STU times if you just count classes or separate by lap time. But if you go by the fastest 50% by participation, that sticks pretty much everyone but IT, SM, & SRF together. hmmmm.

That question is one of the things the committee is going to be working on. The problem is not just the difference in lap times. Where on the track the different classes make or loose time has to be looked at also.

jdh":1bq0p6id said:
Matt93SE":1bq0p6id said:
jdh":1bq0p6id said:

I've been suggesting SRF/SM for years mainly for that reason. It would still leave wings and things.

1. Fast open wheel
2. Slow open wheel
3. Fast closed wheel
4. Slow closed wheel
5. PDX
6. Time Trials

So in this scenario CSR, DSR S2000 may be included in fast closed wheel along with GT1, GT2, SPO etc? I think that there needs to be more groups than the 6 outlined and then we're back to days that are too long.

jdh":tyed5q8u said:
Where on the track the different classes make or loose time has to be looked at also.

Jerry
This is one of the most important parts of the puzzle. You can create total havoc in a race group by grouping two classes that turn the same lap time, but make speed in different parts of the track. Our region leadership did exactly this in 2004 when they grouped Improved Touring C and Spec RX7 together based on the fact that both classes were turning 1:34's at Summit Point (our home track). Unfortunately, the region leadership, whom were not racers, did not realize that the two classes made their speed in two different parts of the track and then would hold each other up in other parts of the track. We then had a bunch of ITC cars get destroyed and never return due to the fact that those cars were starting to become rare, while the Spec RX7 cars had a donor down every country road you drove on.
It was a bad grouping that should never have happened.

Good luck.
cheers
dave parker

Rob":mv5agjfm said:
So in this scenario CSR, DSR S2000 may be included in fast closed wheel along with GT1, GT2, SPO etc? I think that there needs to be more groups than the 6 outlined and then we're back to days that are too long.

Sports racers are considered open wheel in this division and go in the Wings and Things group currently.

OOOPs, Except SRF which has enough participation to be its own single class run group.

Back