Which Tire for STL

DFC17

Hi, 2016 will be my first year attempting to race a production car and I need suggestions on what tire to use for STL?

I have a Gen 1 RX7 with 15" x 7" Wheels

I would prefer a tire that last longer (heat cycles) at this point then one with the ultimate grip, unless of course I can get both in one tire.......

Any suggestions would be helpful?

You might start with the SM tire and go from there. They maybe a little narrow and tall but should go well with the solid axle RX 7 .

Since it's a DOT tire, check Tirerack.com and you have Toyo, Hoosier, Kuhmo, etc. depending on what size you want to run.

Depending on your power levels, the SM tire may not last a race with the narrow width.

On a 15x7 you can fit a 245/40/15 or a 225/45/15 on the wheel as well. the 245 isn't recommended, but they recommend the 245/580R15 slicks for a 7" wheel and they're the same overall height--- so it can't be ALL bad.

As for brands, Hoosier R7 are the fastest, but don't last many heat cycles. the BFG R1S is *almost* as fast as the Hoosier, costs more, but lasts more heat cycles- 20 cycles or so before I ran them out of rubber. The BFG R1 (hard compound) last forever and are quick enough as well. I've used them over 40 heat cycles, but they're well past their prime by then. still plenty of rubber left though.

Hankook also offers a DOT tire that I've heard great things about. They're cheaper than the Hoosier, almost as fast, and last a lot longer. That's according to 2 people that have used them and Hoosiers, and have stuck with the Kooks after trying both.

Matt,

Thanks for the excellent response. Those are the answers that I was looking for.

I think I am limited to a 235 in width but I will review the rules.

I really want a tire that will be pretty competitive but not cycle out in 10 sessions.

I just finished making my own 300mm big brake kit for the front. Still have a stock 12A motor with the stock exhaust. It wont be fast but it should stop well.

What rain tires would be recommended? I have looked through the GCR and see nothing regarding rain tires. Do they still have to be DOT and "U" rated or higher?

The Hankook may be good @ 10 runs. Not as Fast As Hoes but we ran The Kooks @ 8 Races and still have them . They get surface hard a little, but scrubbing them in on concrete cleans them off for another weekend's use.
The Hoosiers may not make 10 runs if you are fast. IMHO
I would buy the Kooks for the first set .

Rain tires must still be DOT. Hoosier H2O is the tire to have, hands down.
BFG has a rain tire as well, but I don't see many people using it.

I run ITS which is much closer to STL on the tire rules than Prod, and have many friends running ITA, IT7 and ITS 1st Gen RX7s.

1. The R7 is your best all around bet in my opinion, 225/45/15. You won't overpower it (and frankly with a stock 12A you won't over power the SM tire). You don't need 245s on the car if it is set up properly (pan hard and trilink to avoid rear bind). R7s last a lot longer than people with "common knowledge" think if you heat cycle them properly. They suck on the first heat cycle, awesome from cycles 2 to 6ish, and raceable from 6ish to 16 or so.

2. BFGR1s are close in speed, feel a bit different (hard to describe) and last about as long.

3. Toyos are noticeably slower but last significantly longer. Most of my experience is on RA1s.

For rains, either get a good 200TW "skreet tire" with treads that the Lemony Chumpness boys use to start, or full tread RA1s. But none are better than the HoHo H20s.

just a note, but STL has a max width of 225 for all STL-prep cars. the only way to sneak a wider tire in is under the few ITS exemptions, but they you'd need to be FULL and complete ITS spec (weight, IT engine, everything).

Back