Whats happened to Northeast racing ?

jimmypet said:
Greg Nagy said:
As a Small Bore note, STU is no longer in the run group.

Hey Greg,
What run group is STU in now?
I liked having STU in Small Bore

They have moved to Big Bore. Big Bore as a whole has been really hurting for entries, and STU was one of the best candidates to move.

Greg Nagy said:
They have moved to Big Bore. Big Bore as a whole has been really hurting for entries, and STU was one of the best candidates to move.

Unless you're a momentum-driven STU car... that's painful.

Street tired cars have no place in a slick tire group.

What's painful is spending an entire season behind a dump truck of a BMW STU car pinned there because they have 100+ HP, park in corners, and don't use their mirrors ... Ever.

Keep slicks and ****** ***** separate. And no DOTR tires are not the same as slicks or even close.

What we have here in NEDIV small bore is really working to increase participation in the group. Put misfit cars into small bore and you will lose cars.

Kyle

I would much rather a run group with a large speed variance than the small variance. T4 is often put with prod . They slot right in the middle of HP usually. Much rather be with GT1 then T4.

Greg Nagy said:
2 day events make a lot more sense than 3 days,

Hi Greg,

First and more important, thank you a ton for volunteering to work on this stuff. It's under appreciated work that I'm sure is difficult.

It makes sense that the 3 day events are harder to put on. They are hard on the racers too. There is typically a test day on Thursday which you need to run to be competitive (hi Bobby!). So we end up taking Wednesday off too for travel. We get to the track in the evening and usually find the paddock mostly full already. At big events, I think you need to arrive Tuesday to get prime paddock real estate! I expect this at pro races. And I like the more "pro feel" of the Majors, but it's hard on the working class. To be fair, it's not so bad on us. I have a ton of vacation days and Scott (my crew) is retired. But even then it feels like a lot of time for what I tell my wife is a hobby. I'm crewing for a WC team this year, and I leave later for those races!

One thing I'd add is although I support the move to some two day events, the one two day event we had last year (Pitt Race) was far more than 66% of the typical three day entry fee. What I don't want to see is a 2017 schedule with two day events that are 85% of the cost of the 2016 events and the club calling this a "savings". The Majors entry fees are nearly $1,000 per event these days when you toss in the test day. Where I used to consider the entry fee to be an inconsequential part of the total weekend costs, it's not any more. I know the track rates are what they are, and if increases are needed, I'd suggest a total transparency approach where the costs and income from the prior year race is spelled out in detail on the registration site on a sheet accessible like the supps are, or even on a page in the supps.

Also, we need to work with the tracks on test day costs. They are out of control. $400 for a test day is no bueno. And it's become the norm. Regions need to incorporate the test day rates into their discussions with the tracks. It might not work, but it'd be good to know that we at least tried. $100 sessions are ouchy.

Thank you for listening and again for your work. Please come by the GTL BBQ at Summit this year for a hard earned delicious burger and beer!

-Kyle

Back