Well shit -- Sam Halkias passed away

Yes,
I lost a Triumph racing mentor and we lost a long time and valuable competitor and friend.

I had a lot still to learn from Sam.

After some engine troubles at the NJ majors, he finished rebuilding my engine the day before his accident.
I'm sad that I didn't get to see him one more time.

Sam will be missed and thought of often.

Samuel J. Halkias Obituary
With heavy hearts, we announce the death of Samuel J. Halkias of Westerville, Ohio, who passed away on August 20, 2023 at the age of 73. Family and friends are welcome to leave their condolences on this memorial page and share them with the family.

Sam was a lifelong athlete who made his mark as a football player and star student at Bowling Green State University. For 50 years, he passionately pursued checkered flags under the banner of the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA). His legacy in racing is punctuated by remarkable achievements, including clinching the 2009 National Championship in the SCCA E-Production class, and back-to-back “Triumphs” at the Put-in-Bay Reunion race. Beyond his own victories, Sam generously shared his expertise with others, served as an instructor at the Mid-Ohio School, and was an active member of the Buckeye Triumph Club. In his spare time, he managed to carve out a long and successful career within the banking and title industries.

He was predeceased by : his parents, Samuel Halkias and Sophia Halkias; his sister Penelope Avesian; and his parents-in-law, Robert and Agnes Reed.

He is survived by : his wife Carol Halkias (Reed) of Westerville, OH; his daughters, Julia Halkias Keller of Hamilton, OH and Samantha Halkias Bivenour (Brett) of Lewis Center, OH; and his grandchildren, Ashleigh Kastor, Marah Keller, Cole Keller, Marley Bivenour, Van Bivenour and Shiloh Bivenour. He is also survived by Four Great Grandchildren; his brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law; and an abundant number of nieces, nephews.

Visitation will be held on Friday, August 25th 2023 from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM at the Snyder Funeral Homes, DeVore Chapel (637 OH-61, Sunbury, OH 43074). A funeral service will be held on Friday, August 25th 2023 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM at the same location. A graveside service will be held on Friday, August 25th 2023 at 2:30 PM at the same location.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to The Brain Aneurysm Foundation (http://www.bafound.org).

Back