Upgrade your radio foamy ear plugs to custom molded ear plug

The only thing I am see with these is that they are stereo headphones and most radio setup use a mono headphone connector. A simple converter or putting a new mono end on would work.[/quote]
Is there an adapter to change the plug on the Stereo plug to work with radio setup. Thanks Tom Weaver

tdw6974":3lr5scqp said:
The only thing I am see with these is that they are stereo headphones and most radio setup use a mono headphone connector. A simple converter or putting a new mono end on would work.
Is there an adapter to change the plug on the Stereo plug to work with radio setup. Thanks Tom Weaver[/quote]

RadioShack sells an adapter that will make the stereo earpieces work with a mono helmet setup.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062469

Jarrod

R
Received the kit, mixed the goop per instructions last night. Fit to my ear is even better than the $180 set from Racing Electronics (which was quite good). These REALLY keep a lot of noise out....it will be intersting to see if anyone does the next step to insert the radio transducers and test them. I will use them just for earplugs.

I did this last night; It seems to work great. Made the plugs per instructions and then used various sized drills to install the speaker/transducers. My transducers are Racing Electronics brand. A tip is to start with small drills from the part that goes into the ear canal and drill directionally toward the center of the outer part. Finish by drilling partially in from the outer part with a larger drill for the transducer itself. Use drills that leave a hole tight enough to hold the transducer. Mine left a little of the transducer exposed where the small ear canal part joins the main outside part because of the angle but not a problem. Can't wait to try them. My problem with the foamy ones is that they don't stay in during the balaclava-helmet install. These passed that test with no problem. :D

Bob, now you have to promise to let us all know how they worked after you try them in the racer. Best part is....if they don't work as hoped you still have a nice set of custom earplugs....just plug the holes with RTV.

Thanks, Jay

Bob,

I had the same problem putting on my helmet with the foamies, I then starting using duct tape over my ears (ripped the skin right off!! ouch!) then moved to sugical tape which did not rip the skin and ultimately did work.

None of this did anything for the noise problem as I have small ear canals and could never get the earplugs properly seated so they would stay in place for the entire session.

Back