Two piece rotors for Mazda 12A brakes...do they exist?

team-gpracing

I need new rotors for my RX3 and although I am considering switching from the 12A RX7 setup I have to GSLSE brakes, I wanted to know if anyone makes two piece rotors for the 12A brakes.

Just trying to not spend a ton of money mid-season on an all new setup.

Yeah, I already talked to Charlie. He doesn't make it. He only has the hubs for the larger spindles ('84-'85).

A company called RE Speed makes a conversion kit that allows you to use 2nd gen brakes, but they aren't legal on my car for EP. And even if it was legal, I'd have to buy all new wheels.

It's going to cost me well over a grand and a lot of work to upgrade to the GSLSE brakes, so I was hoping to find someone that just makes a lighter rotor to replace what I have. The car stops pretty damn good with the pre-84 brakes, I just need new rotors and was looking to lose some weight in the process.

team-gpracing":2o5k6oc0 said:
Yeah, I already talked to Charlie. He doesn't make it. He only has the hubs for the larger spindles ('84-'85).

A company called RE Speed makes a conversion kit that allows you to use 2nd gen brakes, but they aren't legal on my car for EP. And even if it was legal, I'd have to buy all new wheels.

It's going to cost me well over a grand and a lot of work to upgrade to the GSLSE brakes, so I was hoping to find someone that just makes a lighter rotor to replace what I have. The car stops pretty damn good with the pre-84 brakes, I just need new rotors and was looking to lose some weight in the process.

Have you asked the REspeed guy, forget his name, to see if he would make some for you. I'll bet there would be a demand for such, not a big demand, but still.

I have some REspeed stuff on my car, and another roller I had built. He's one of the only guys still producing new stuff for our antiques. Good guy, I recommend them to anyone with a 1st gen RX-7.

team-gpracing":3ezmcu2h said:
I guess it can't hurt to call RE Speed.

markb":3ezmcu2h said:

I don't even want to know what that costs. I am sure that if I found a rotor that was the right diameter and thickness that I could have a hat machined to fit my spindles. It doesn't look like Coleman makes rotors that small. Does anyone know of a rotor source?

The 2nd Gen 2 piece rotors are $1000 for 4 wheel hat + rotor and have directional vanes. I believe Coleman makes the 2nd Gen 2 piece rotors that are available but have not been able to confirm. I have been told they are ordered in 10 piece increments though. Given these figures I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get what you need for around that price. The call is free but it's up to you.

Also might call this place - http://www.bits-pieces.com/ - I know 2nd gen 2 piece rotors have shipped from here even though ordered from elsewhere which I found odd. Maybe they have manufacturing capabilities?

Back