Tom Nehl National

Jay Griffin

Congrats on the win Brad :applause: , I really wish I would have been able to see out the FRONT of my car as well as I could see out the back. I had no problem at all seeing you coming up behind me…with your windshield wipers going and clear windshield. Oh well, at least I didn’t wreck the car trying to do something stupid… like keep up. I pitted after you passed me because I really couldn’t see squat in front of the car. It was so bad that when I got to the pit marshal on pit road he was about 20’ away, directly in front of the car, and I couldn’t see him. Then I loosened my shoulder harness, leaned forward and wiped across the inside of the windshield, I could see just FINE then. Not going to go out there with the belts that loose though.

I’ve been waiting on the results to be posted on Mylaps but haven’t seen them yet. I did find them posted on The Buccaneer region page this morning however. http://www.buccaneerregion.org/club/results/11/tomnehl/G1_RACE.pdf

One of these days I’ll come up with a combination of whatever it takes to keep my windshield clear in those (rain) situations. Since we knew the rain was coming, I had just applied some dish detergent (and polished it up) to the inside of the windshield Saturday afternoon after qualifying. Something that I’ve seen and been told works quite well for others. Evidently it doesn’t work that well in my car for whatever reason. I guess I still need some sort of defogging blower in the car along with ‘whatever’ on the windshield. :|

That or just do the ‘rag on a stick’ trick several people have suggested since Sunday. :roll:

Jay Griffin":1odbc0sb said:
Congrats on the win Brad :applause: , I really wish I would have been able to see out the FRONT of my car as well as I could see out the back. I had no problem at all seeing you coming up behind me…with your windshield wipers going and clear windshield. Oh well, at least I didn’t wreck the car trying to do something stupid… like keep up. I pitted after you passed me because I really couldn’t see squat in front of the car. It was so bad that when I got to the pit marshal on pit road he was about 20’ away, directly in front of the car, and I couldn’t see him. Then I loosened my shoulder harness, leaned forward and wiped across the inside of the windshield, I could see just FINE then. Not going to go out there with the belts that loose though.

I’ve been waiting on the results to be posted on Mylaps but haven’t seen them yet. I did find them posted on The Buccaneer region page this morning however. http://www.buccaneerregion.org/club/results/11/tomnehl/G1_RACE.pdf

One of these days I’ll come up with a combination of whatever it takes to keep my windshield clear in those (rain) situations. Since we knew the rain was coming, I had just applied some dish detergent ([b]and polished it up[/b]) to the inside of the windshield Saturday afternoon after qualifying. Something that I’ve seen and been told works quite well for others. Evidently it doesn’t work that well in my car for whatever reason. I guess I still need some sort of defogging blower in the car along with ‘whatever’ on the windshield. :|

That or just do the ‘rag on a stick’ trick several people have suggested since Sunday. :roll:

There's your mistake Jay. Apply the dish detergent with a soapy rag in a vertical pattern and let it dry. Then just leave it. The way it works (as it was explained to my by Steve E.) is as the window tries to fog up, the moisture dissolves the dishwashing detergent it and it flows instead of fogging up. By doing it in vertical lines, your eyes can still see through the lines. It does work!

Now, Carnuba wax on the outside of a Lexan windshield works just like rain-x. I just wax it on and then polish it, it also fills in those little pit marks as well, reducing glare. Maybe that's what you were thinking of? :think:

MC

Thanks for the congrats. I've been super busy since the race and haven't spent any time at the computer. I guess I need to learn all these anti-fog tricks when we do get a humid day with rain. The Hoosier rains were incredible once they got some heat in them (2 laps). All that showroom stock driving on bad tires in the 80s and 90s really help fine tune those wet car control skills! See you all at Road Atlanta. I am looking forward to completely re-learning that track also!

Brad

Back