The End of an Era

Smyczek

The rumors have been confirmed if you believe this source

http://bloom.bg/LmlyMW

I know there will be parts around for years to come, but it's kind of sad for those of us who like this quirky invention. I hope they continue to make the parts so I can continue to abuse them...

Yes, sad indeed. What are companies like Speedsource going to run? Mazda advertises heavily during the Rolex series races, and Mazda has always banked on the "soul of a sports car" theme. With only the Miata left that's going to ring kind of hollow. I can't believe that they've given up on the Wankel, totally blows my mind. I'll bet the old retired Mazda engineers are pretty pissed.

The article (and many others I have read) say that they are ceasing inclusion of the rotary in their production cars. The problem is, even though the rotary has a strong cult following, those people typically don't buy new rotary powered cars every 5 years. Myself included. I mean, how many of your non-racer friends even know what a Rotary is? They are shifting their racing plan to a turbo diesel (like KDENNIS posted), and I wouldn't be surprised to see a new "sportscar" debuted by Mazda in the next year.

Mazda will still retain the license to produce the rotary for replacement parts and will still be engineering with it into the future, as stated in the article about the Hydrogen powered rotary.

Of course, I may just be biased.

KDENNIS":28jsk4si said:
What are companies like Speedsource going to run?

I hate to see the 3 rotor go away, that sound is so unique. Of course, I'm sure Speedsource would build me one.

So will they put the diesel in a Miata since they no longer make the RX-8, or in the not yet released car?

There is a new Grand-am class coming. DP, GT and now GX.

"The engines are being developed jointly by Mazda Motor Corporation, Mazda North American Operations and SpeedSource Engineering. Dyno testing has already begun and on-track testing begins in late 2012. Engine pricing and terms will be announced at a later date.

The actual Mazda model in which the SKYACTIV-D racing engine will be installed will be announced after the conclusion of the 2012 GRAND-AM racing season"

http://www.grand-am.com/News/GA_News/ta ... 6383&sid=1

Does this mean I should not drag some old 12As sitting around the garage to the recyclers?

I thought I had heard, somewhere during the LM broadcast, that the Mazda diesels would be available as a customer engine (like a Judd, as opposed to an Audi. Interesting that they would partner with Dempsey racing after working with Dyson so long. Has the Isobutanol path been declared a dead end?

Does anyone know if this is a whole new engine from AER, or just an evolution of the P70/P80?

The Road & Track article indicated Mazda had spent huge resources developing the Wankel in the first place, and continued spending resources to improve efficiency and emissions, with little success.
Apparently, Mazda does not believe there is a platform in the future suitable for the rotary.

"Zoom, Zoom" may disappear, but Mazda will do quite well.

RJS

Greg Nagy":2fjfef89 said:
Does this mean I should not drag some old 12As sitting around the garage to the recyclers?
No, you should sell them to me!!!!

They did indeed say during the LeMans broadcast that the Mazda prototype would be Mazda by engine only, and that Dempsey was indeed going to be running it first.

The article in the first post has the following quote in it:
"The company.......has said it will continue research on rotary engines to test more environmentally friendly technology. Separately, Mazda is also planning to introduce an electric car next year using hydrogen to fuel the rotary engine and generate power for the car’s battery."

Back