Stolen Race Car

jhd11

Please be on the lookout for my stolen race car. Someone took the doors off the storage shed and took trailer and car. Car is a yellow MG Midget, full cage. Unique feature was a add on bar on the back hoop for a previous tall owner. Trailer was a single axle w/ a tire rack and storage box on the front. Not sure when it was stolen but was within the last few days. Thanks in advance.

Joe Downer
Charlotte, N.C.
800-332-2486

P.S. Will attach photo later, photos I have are too large!

Joe yes a pic would help, I for sure will keep my eye opened down this way.

Joe as sad as this might sound, whoever stole this car proably has no idea what to do with it, and would not know a MG Midget from a spaceship, check the local scrap yards and get pictures to them. The police are not going to do squat unless it falls in their lap.

Acme Speed Shop":24df63ws said:
Joe yes a pic would help, I for sure will keep my eye opened down this way.

Joe as sad as this might sound, whoever stole this car proably has no idea what to do with it, and would not know a MG Midget from a spaceship, check the local scrap yards and get pictures to them. The police are not going to do squat unless it falls in their lap.

Hap, unfortunately you are probably right. I spoke to Tony Drum this morning and he said the same thing. It will be parted and then crushed! Thanks for keeping a lookout!

Joe Downer
Charlotte, N.C.

Sorry to hear about the race car but somebody stole my old trailer? It's a pretty unique trailer. The doors were old computer doors. They require Intergraph 751 keys to unlock it.

27346704.jpg

Sorry for the delay. It was a long couple of days but...the trailer is home, I pick up the car today and two guys are in jail. THANKS to all who read and forwarded the info about the theft. The crooks posted the trailer for sale on Craigslist! Someone found the ad and let the police and me know. They sold the car to a metal recycler for $160.00!!! The police told me without the fast action, the car would have been gone by today, tomorrow at the latest. So again, thanks to all of you, I owe you one and hope to return the favor someday.

Joe Downer
Charlotte, N.C.

what does it say about the integrity of the metal recycler, who bought an intact racecar which must have appeared to have some value other than scrap? Not very much.

mmacquee":2qhhkb9t said:
what does it say about the integrity of the metal recycler, who bought an intact racecar which must have appeared to have some value other than scrap? Not very much.

The recyclers around me are now required by the state that if you bring in a complete car body, you are required to give them the title. Just like a normal salvage yard. If the car is cut up and prepped you are not required to supply the title.

Wow.. That was quick, and a good ending!

I would definitely be having a chat with the locals about a recycler that's willing to take a complete race car without a title. I have friends that work at a local recycler that won't even take the parts car they helped me disassemble 5 years ago and sat in my driveway since. Then again, he said he'd bring a cutting torch home after work one evening and help "make it legal to recycle".. heh.

But yeah. Glad to hear it's been found and is on its way home!

Joe,

You are a lucky guy! A similar incident in my area didn't end as well several years ago. Car (FP Midget) was found cut up beside a counrtry road and trailer was never found. Car was found because it had one of our Fiberglass hoods with a SPRIDGETECH card laminated into it and an IRATE farmer called us complaining that we were dumping scrap on his property! Thank God for Craigs List, alert racers and stupid crooks!

Rod Hahnemann
SPRIDGETECH, INC.

Back