Spridget Rocker Arm Needed

Peter

I need a forged rocker arm for a Spridget 1275 engine. Preferably one where the bushing is still good. Anyone have one they are willing to part with?
Phone number is 905-571-9449.

At least 2 factory variations (ratios) available as well as the Cooper S. Also, forged aftermarket high lift rockers were available (Dodd and others). Photos and dimensions would be helpful.

David Vizard's book has several pages relating to rockers worth reviewing.

RJS

I think he wants the standard factory 1275 forged rocker arms. Weren't all of the 1275 factory spridget rocker arms forged steel and the same 1.25??? ratio?

Jay is right. I am looking for the standard factory forged rocker arm that was introduced on the Cooper S. Ratio is a nominal1.25 to1.

I have a stock 1275 head w/rocker arm assembly I have no use for. It's off a wrecked 35000 mile 73 Midget I parted when building my Turner. Would this be the part you need? If yes can anybody tell me how to identify or be sure I have the right part to offer? I had been planning to ask here how to identify the good LP head casting so I would know if the head had any value.

I will give you my understanding based on conversations with people who know about this stuff and my own experience. Maybe someone who really knows this stuff can chime in and confirm or refute this.

The early non-stamped sheet metal rocker arms were cast not forged. Most people confuse these two. When we raced in the early days before roller rockers, we avoided these cast rocker arms because they broke, and ran the sheet metal ones instead. There is such a thing as forged versions and I have a set, but they were extremely rare. I got mine from a guy who raced Minis, so I believe that the forged ones probably came on the Mini Cooper S. Failing having a set of real forged ones, I would again avoid the cast ones and run the sheet metal ones as I do on my other engine. I have never broken a sheet metal rocker both now on my other 1275, or before on my 948 full prep before we were allowed roller rockers. In other words I would not go out of my way to try to find a cast rocker and would use the sheet metal ones which are plentiful and easy to find. The cams on the LP1275 are relatively mild and the rev limits are low, so the valve springs can be light, and therefore the rocker arm loads are also light. You don't really need the forged rockers.

You did say that you are looking for the forged ones on the Cooper S. Good luck finding one of them.

Following Ron's advice I would go with a set of the stamped rockers in good condition. The reason I am looking for a forged rocker arm is simply that I have seven and am trying to find an eighth.

I have complete set of stamped rockers bored off-set & fit with Torrington needle bearings on shaft with stands.

Make offer or P.M..

RJS

Also have set of Keith Dodd 1 : 1.5 rockers in exellent shape. You MUST increase valve guide clearence to run these, and still may seize a valve. (I did, twice)

Make offer or P.M.

(Spend the extra and go roller rocker)

RJS

R. J. Sorensen":16jgfdan said:
Also have set of Keith Dodd 1 : 1.5 rockers in exellent shape...
Ron - I'm thinking he might want to be legal. If he was building a full-prep F motor he wouldn't be screwing around with stock rockers.

Thank you all for your help. I have sourced some of the rocker arms I am looking for.

Back