Shipping used tires

msturminator

I know this has been discussed before but what is the cheapest way to sip used tires?
Thanks in advance for the help. :ask:
#48EP
Mike

I have shipped 100s of tires by FedEx ground wrapped in shrink wrap with a shipping label. FedEx seems to be much more accepting than UPS, and they were pretty cheap.

I'll continue to use FedEx ground for any oversize packages.

Peter

Friend Google says. OfficeDepot for starters.

20" x 1,000' x no thickness given for $20.57 showed hand wraping a skid of parts.

Hoosier sends them UPS Gound with no wrapping. No reason to wrap a tire in plastic (like kitchen plastic wrap). Just put the label on a piece of cardboard and then use lots of packing tape and wrap around the outside and inside of the tire over the label. Neither UPS or FedEx require you to wrap the tire and UPS even provides instructions http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour ... gular.html When calculating the price online you need to add the $8.50 surchage for FedEx additional handling http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf ... mation.pdf - UPS has a similar charge. This is the easiest and most expensive way to ship.

I know of a big used tire seller that ships 2 tires per box. This way you eliminate the surcharge and reduce package count. Get the boxes at a local box/moving store for about $3 each. Cheaper way to ship but you have to go buy the boxes.

Greyhound is cheapest but you and buyer have to drive to the terminal.

If you have a large qty to ship, put them on a pallet (ask someone at HD/Lowes if you can have one for free) and try R&L carriers. Even cheaper if you drop off at one of their terminals.

I have shipped and received 100+ tires before and have 22 right now I need to put up for sale.

I've shipped tires by UPS. They have a charge for odd shaped packages (tires are odd shapes)
Counter person said the charge was per package so if you wrap them together and don't exceed the size limits you can avoid come of the charges. I don't know if four tires pass muster as one package.

Never shipped four tires together but have shipped them two by two taped together and open (with no shrink wrap or covering) many times via UPS. I tried putting them in a bag but it is a waste of time. The label goes right on the tire and is covered with clear tape that wraps around the inner and outer rims. This may not be as inexpensive as Greyhound but they go right to the person's door.

Know that UPS has higher rates to residential addresses than to commercial addresses.

Also, a surcharge, if the package won't readily roll down a roller conveyor. Just had words with them about some circular drums about 12" diameter.

RJS

If you take them to a shipping center and they aren't in a box, they might charge you the non conveyable fee. If you print your label out, and just drop them off you will usually get away without paying it.

I've sent many sets of used tires by UPS and found that boxes did save money over the "odd shape" or whatever category. I bought a batch of 20 inch cubic boxes for pairs of my tires (20-8-13 cantilever). Check for boxes in your area or cut and tape to make a box. Joel

You can buy boxes from Uline (www.uline.com) much cheaper than typical local prices, 20x20x20 are $1.81 ea. Min qty 10. They ship via UPS in a bundle.

That's where we - and many other small companies - buy our shipping supplies.

Al Seim

A bit late, but I've also used Greyhound. tape 4 of them together and then shrink wrap for additional protection. slap a label on it and take it to greyhound. They cost under $10 a tire, and got to me from Cali to Houston in 2 days. I had to drive to the local Greyhound stop (a seedy gas station about 10 min from my house), but I'd take that over $20 a tire and waiting a week to get them from the brown truck.

I shipped 4 Hoosier TDs from SC to MS last week, I taped them up in pairs with clear packing taper with the shipping labels,, no shrink wrap, that's the same way they get shipped to me as well. I have a UPS account, which anyone can do, business, or individual, you can sign up online, print your labels off your printer, and pay online with debit, or CC, then you can drop off at any UPS drop zone, Staples, Office Depot, UPS store, etc, they take pre pay packages at no cost, or you can shedule a pick up for a $5 fee. If you walk into a UPS store, you just getting the mark up from owner on shipping rates, by signing up on your own account you get the discounted rate. FedEx works great for bigger than normal packages and has better rates for oversized stuff compared to UPS. Shipping tires, used, or new is no big deal.

Hap is right. I needed to ship a transmission from Denver to Texas a couple weks ago so I created a UPS account, did everything on-line and dropped it off at a UPS store. Super easy.

photo.jpg

Shrink wraped and I add a piece of seatbelt for a carry handle and try and make it alittle easier for the driver to carry.

Jon

Back