Rules

R. J. Sorensen

Much is made about the understanding that "if it doesn't say you can, you can't".

As we watched water bead up on a very nice wax job in the rain at Blackhawk, it was noted that nowhere does it say you can wax the paint of a car. (Aerodynamic advantage, I suppose)

Too anal?

RJS

R. J. Sorensen":2jdpt2ul said:
Too anal?

Nope. I haven't waxed my car since I put the cage in it for specifically that reason.

.... Or maybe it's because the paint job is already crap and I just don't care. ;)

yeah, you're overthinking it a bit!

R. J. Sorensen":oek1jsf4 said:
Much is made about the understanding that "if it doesn't say you can, you can't".

RJS

In going to the runoffs for 20 years I never saw much evidence to back up that statment, if someone had something that bordred on grey area, it always seem to be the mindset that rules maker/enforcers took the opinion that rules had to prohibit whatever someone had done to not allow it. At the end of the day if the rules do not specificlly disallow the item, the racer in question was not DQed, and then the CRB would look at the item and either disallow it, or allow it for all in the rulebook for the future. If you look at the people who have won many chamopinship, they are almost always inovators, exposing grey areas, and hardly ever do you see them get DQed for such a item. So while the masses may take the above statement to be true, it's not even close to the truth, and history in our race classes proves it. The clever inovations of racers are what cause the rules to be rewritten, sometime in their favors, sometimes, not. I've seen several examples of some clever racer doing something in grey area , winning a national championship, and only then the item being disallowed for the future per the rules, but the clever racer still won the championship, fair and square for being a inovator.

Every time I have waxed a race car, it has gotten crashed.
I use a rear steer system on the VWs, and it was banned at the second race for IT. Now I have worked it into the prod class, where it is legal. Next version will be faster, still legal.

R. J. Sorensen":1pe1ztcg said:
As we watched water bead up on a very nice wax job in the rain at Blackhawk, it was noted that nowhere does it say you can wax the paint of a car. (Aerodynamic advantage, I suppose)
Too anal?
RJS

Waxing your Production car is legal. A liquid wax meets the definition of
a fluid. A paste wax meets the definition of lubricant. Both are unrestricted
per the PCS. Too anal? :lol:

Lubricant – A substance which, when interposed between components
moving with respect to each other, reduces friction and promotes durability.
(see section 9.3 Oil and Additives)
Fluid – Any material which readily flows at the specified temperature,
e.g., liquids and gases at room temperature.

12. General preparation Level 1 and 2
a. Fastener items can be replaced by similar items performing the
same fastening function(s).
b. Any paint scheme or markings meeting GCR specifications are
permitted.
c. Two way radios are permitted. A hole can be created in the
body to mount a radio antenna.
d. Fluids and Lubricants are unrestricted.

I have a saying: "There are fast cars, there are pretty cars, there are pretty fast cars, but there are no fast pretty cars." So leave the wax for the tow vehicle.

racingspridget":3rp9q2xe said:
I have a saying: "There are fast cars, there are pretty cars, there are pretty fast cars, but there are no fast pretty cars." So leave the wax for the tow vehicle.

"Its better to look good, than to feel good" Fernando Lamas

You don't want to wax your car. Wax adds 3.6 oz to the weight of the average sedan. It will just slow you down.

"Wax helps keep the car clean which is required under the rules in order to compete."

Until you drive through the first dust cloud :(

Back