rotary moulded fuel cells

Fuel cells have to be SFI/FIA spec and I don't think rotary molded cells can meet their criteria, which is pretty interesting since on most modern cars you can run a stock tank in Production. Not knowing any better I ran a $150 Summit cell in my first MGB and no one ever questioned it since it was in a steel can and pretty much looked identical to a Fuel Safe cell. I would guess a rotary molded cell is pretty close to being as safe as a fabric/rubber bladder one especially if it filled with foam, but then again I'm willing run without a head and neck restraint.

Not only all of the above but if you run a car that is allowed but not required to have a fuel cell you can have a Rotary molded cell. I guess that means that at a Rational you could have a 240Z ITS car in the same group as a FP car, both going very near the same speed, the ITA car being heavier and utilizing an arguably less effective fuel containment vessel. I think this is goofed up.

I've run many regionals where the IT guys are right in with us prodcars and showroom stocks. What's the difference between the regional and rational formats besides race length?

That FT3 or whatever spec it is, is all that matters. I am pretty sure the base ATL cell which is moulded plastic and not a deformable bladder. Or at least the ATL tech told me it was legal when I was purchasing a new bladder a few weeks ago.

Yes ATL and Fuel Safe both offer a FT3 approved cell with a somewhat rigid plastic bladder as opposed to the flexible rubber/cloth type bladder.

The cells that are being referred to are the RCI, JAZ, etc. that are truly just a Rotary Molded plastic. 12 gallon cells can be had for $170 and have a rollover valve.

Not saying that I think that they should be approved, just saying that there is a disconnect between allowing them in some cars and not in others.

This has been a question for many years. When I had to buy a fuel cell for my HP Bugeye- maybe 10 years ago - I simply asked for (and received with the sale information) that the cell/container met the "FIA-FT3" requirement - or whatever. It was also stenciled on the fuel cell itself. I think this was "Fuel Safe" company. No tech inspector ever worried about it - I had the receipt with the certification and the cell was labeled. I think it was more like "plastic-molded" than "flexible" inside that metal can, but I was not worried.
When in doubt, ask the vendor if it meets the standard you need. Joel

Fuel cells, interesting subject.
Not DOT approved so do not carry fuel in the race car while towing. Just a detail to ponder.......from Dave Lemon.

The FIA GT3 requirement has a mfgs date with a life of 5 years, if inspected, extended by 2 more years.
When asked, the SCCA doesn't check the fuel cells for expiration like the belts. I thought it funny to require it, but not enforce it.

John

Back