Rod bolts for 948 Sprite?

Joel McGinley

I am reviving my street Bugeye with a 948 engine. I was advised by Mike Miller of Comptune to replace the stock rod bolts with ARP bolts. I can't find these on their website. Does anybody know if they still sell these, or have a set in-hand for a 948 big end?
What about pinch-bolts? I do have some bolts from other engines- they are 12-point and marked "FC" on the heads. Are these any good? or are the stock ones okay for a mild street engine?
I found 6 used "NAS 626" 12-point bolts (three rods worth) with some old race engine remains. Any chance somebody has two of these?? They were used by Randy Lyles of British Masters in California in the 1980s.... Brian Linn??? PM or e-mail. Joel

Um, these are not right. The 948 uses a 3/8-24 bolt that threads into the upper part of the con rod. The bolt is torqued and there are no nuts. Joel

Sorry Joel, I looked at the wrong engine. 206-6001 are for 1275's
Try 200-6207. I have a set in the original ARP package right here.

Klaus

Kinda late on the scene, but they are not listed for this application by ARP, but I used ARP bolts many times in 948 engines with stock rods, it listed in the aftermarket/universal section, as 3/8" 1.5" long, other than increasing the chamfer on the cap, thats about all it take to make them work. As for the pinch bolt, inspect them well, they are prone to strip and may need replacing. Joel a cool way to go on the street with a 948 if you are rebuilding from scratch is going with 1098 rods, and 998 pistons, a STD. 998 piston equals .060 over for a 948, and you can even go as far as .060" over 998 piston, which is .120" over for a 948, I built one of these a few years ago for a street customer. Kinda like a big bore 948, as funny as that might sound :mrgreen:

Back