Racing Contact

GT6

blamkin86":1u9ovhub said:
CharlieC":1u9ovhub said:
do you think this may have gotten off topic ?? :think:

For sure, but the contact thing seems important to discuss. It's not getting better.

Reasons:
-Video games
-Drivers not building/fixing their cars
-Lack of driver community

Fix these and you'll have respectful racing among friends.

GT6":1rcmi3bp said:
blamkin86":1rcmi3bp said:
CharlieC":1rcmi3bp said:
do you think this may have gotten off topic ?? :think:

For sure, but the contact thing seems important to discuss. It's not getting better.

Reasons:
-Video games
-Drivers not building/fixing their cars
-Lack of driver community

Fix these and you'll have respectful racing among friends.
I'm afraid cats 1 and 2 aren't going back in the the bag. we can work on #3 as a group, but the way the world works has changed. So many people today that have enough money to race cars also have the money to pay someone to work on them. They just write a check each race for support; sometimes that includes a couple thousand in repairs.

I was told that if i wanted to be a good racer I needed to be great at my day job.
Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go…..right?
We have a number of drivers showing up that are really great at their day jobs as evidenced by the number of prep shops in attendance every weekend. I agree that we cannot put the genie back in the bottle re the earlier comment but as a racing community we should encourage safe/not stupid racing. Honestly at the five minutes to go signal I am praying for good judgement, not just for myself but also for those around me (and yeah that my car will start).
If I screw up up I hope my fellow competitor(s) will approach me calmly with constructive criticism.
We are all in this together and we are so lucky!
Erick Zanner
#7 Bugeye Sprite HP
Steward In Training

My observation of 50 plus years of running production type cars is that most of the prod guys do still work on their own cars. The stewards seem to not be very interested in actually enforcing the rules as written and the new guidance documents that are available. In 2019 at the Runnoffs, I know two production guys that were taken out by stupid overly aggressive driving on the first lap of the race. Both of the guys that were hit had contact at the rear wheel area. The stewards looked at the incidents and assessed no penalty or negligent reprimand type penalties. My two cents worth.

jbecker":33q5firp said:
In 2019 at the Runnoffs, I know two production guys that were taken out by stupid overly aggressive driving on the first lap of the race. Both of the guys that were hit had contact at the rear wheel area. The stewards looked at the incidents and assessed no penalty or negligent reprimand type penalties. My two cents worth.
What was the result of the drivers' protests? - GA

I believe that the stewards are addressing any reported contact. Last weekend a driver was placed on probation and moved to last in class. The penalty guide lines set by Topeka were followed as required. The Ex steward of the SWD requires that when a corner station calls in contact,the operating steward does a RFA,which is given to the Chair SOM and the SOM investigates and takes action required.This procediure was followed last weekend.
Larrry Svaton
EP Caterham
HP Fiat X1/9

The decision on the contact to our car was that it was a "racing incident." That in spite of the contact being at the rear wheel of our car and the front bumper of the car that initiated the contact. The result of the second contact was, I believe, a reprimand.

jbecker":y47wqj2b said:
The decision on the contact to our car was that it was a "racing incident." That in spite of the contact being at the rear wheel of our car and the front bumper of the car that initiated the contact. The result of the second contact was, I believe, a reprimand.
Was there video that the stewards looked at? Were you able to continue or had to pit because of the contact?
Larry Svaton

My favorite " racing incident " was the HP race , T1 at Indy where the car rips through the top 3 cars and bunts the outside pole car off track . Maybe a Datsun 210? Flagrant incompetency.
What was the outcome of that event?
Anything like that should be an un-invite for the next Runoffs. IMHO

That was the Datsun. He found himself far in the grey on the right side of the track when I bounced off the rev limiter right in front of him on the green, then locked up under braking, and was just along for the ride.

He recovered and raced for 3rd for much of the race, until I hit oil that had just been dropped in 6 on a pass attempt, touched him and he looped around (and received a penalty by RFA, which was overturned on protest to restore my 2nd place finish). He recovered gain, and eventually was hit pretty hard by the Cabriolet that was moved to last place for multiple big hits on multiple cars.

He was also on pole at the RAm runoffs, and won HP in the CRX at the earlier RAm runoffs rounds.
Dan Meller can wheel with the best of them.

Back