Race Trans Options

jimmypet

Hey Gang,
I just picked up my GForce T5 from them after a service and we had the sad conversation that Im losing support for my GForce T5.
It seems me racing the T5 has outlived its parts supply lifespan at GForce and they are no longer supporting the older Tremec based products they built.
They no longer even have a Tremec tech in the trans shop.
Once the parts are gone they are gone, they are not making any more (and it seems like after this last service they are already pretty much gone).
Its been over a 10 year span so I guess I cant really complain, time marches on and all that,,, everything GForce makes nowdays is for supporting 800+ HP.

I’m looking for a lightweight 5 or more speed trans.
The easy button is just pony up the money for a Drenth, but i’m interested in any other good options.

The original trans in my car was a Getrag 265, the support for that old Getrag is less than non-existent unless you buy aftermarket internal parts from Samsonas at $7K a gear set, and then no one wants to work on a Getrag trans.
The T5 was an almost exact duplicate in width, height, and weight, GForce made a dog ring, straight geared race trans version that was only $2700 when I had them build it initially.
GForce is just down the road from my house, it was a no brainer.

Im only looking for something that is made for motorsport use though, no street / syncro things, open for any ideas you guys may have along those lines.

Cheers
Jimmy p

For what its worth, a local racer had the Samsonas conversion coupled to their S14, and loved it.

I was always skeptical of the concept, nor had I heard of anyone actually going through with the conversion before discussing with him.

tschreyer":3rtmbqax said:
For what its worth, a local racer had the Samsonas conversion coupled to their S14, and loved it.

I was always skeptical of the concept, nor had I heard of anyone actually going through with the conversion before discussing with him.

The Samsonas is a really high quality, seriously good option if you have someone versed in working on Getrags, its a wonderful gear set, they offer the true homologated Gruppe A gear ratios and one they feel is a little better for the 265 case.
I feel the only downside to the Getrag / Samsonas conversion is by the time you buy the gearset and then pay someone to build it you are at the same cost as a Drenth 6 speed sequential which is lighter.
I know a few guys that have done the Samsonas gear sets. They do love them it is a really good option if you need / want to stay with an H pattern trans.

I've done that dance in my head so much, so many times but it always leads me back to that answer LOL.

Jimmy have you checked with Liberty Gears, they still have some T5 stuff and they also have a TKX version of the TKO transmissions.

RonInSD":2kdqy5qr said:
Jimmy have you checked with Liberty Gears, they still have some T5 stuff and they also have a TKX version of the TKO transmissions.

I have not checked with Liberty.
I have a distant memory from 10 years or so ago when I was shopping for what became my GForce T5 that they had some offerings in T5s but not what GForce had at that time.
I will look into it, its been a while.

At first look the TKX is a little bigger & heavier than I was looking for but its worth having a discussion with them about it.
Thank You.
Cheers
Jimmy p

There are two people to blame for G-Force's decision to not support or build T-5 dog boxes., First is G-Force themselves for not requiring buyers to sign a release which states that this transmission is used only for racing/off-road(This way if you use it on the street shame on you but G-Force is not responsible for damage,PERIOD .,Second are the buyers that put these transmission's in there street cars and when they damaged them they cried foul to G-Force and wanted them rebuilt. (for free of course)....So again.,this is what i was told by >>>> at G-Force. I have done business with them many times and it is sad but true.

vintagez":18hn0xed said:
There are two people to blame for G-Force's decision to not support or build T-5 dog boxes., First is G-Force themselves for not requiring buyers to sign a release which states that this transmission is used only for racing/off-road(This way if you use it on the street shame on you but G-Force is not responsible for damage,PERIOD .,Second are the buyers that put these transmission's in there street cars and when they damaged them they cried foul to G-Force and wanted them rebuilt. (for free of course)....So again.,this is what i was told by >>>> at G-Force. I have done business with them many times and it is sad but true.

I loved working with those guys, during my 10+ year relationship there they were pure amazing to me.
Its sad that the day has come to potentially move on.
I 100% believe everything you wrote.
When I bought my trans they said it would be supported for a long time, no issues on the horizon, but I guess in race trans years over 10 years is a lifespan LOL.
Too bad so many people used it for not its intended purpose. The parts supply would have lasted much longer.

Protech Racing":zj06y6lr said:
Jerihco or Tex T10?

Little large and heavy for what I am hoping for and only 4 speeds, I'm hoping to find something at least 5 gears.
GForce has a few options like that if I ever decided to go that route.
The big up-side to those in that family is the forever supported factor.

Hey Jimmy, been off the forum for months since my work blocked the site and I don't have a personal computer anymore.

My dad is in the same boat with the GF T5 in his 240SX. G force was nice enough last year sometime to help him convert from the straight cut dog gears to a synchro setup with the parts they have left so he can continue running a while longer.. then the next race he threw a rod through the block... rebuilt the engine and got 2 races out of it before he lost a head gasket. typical prod car problems? hah.

anyway, he may be interested in any parts you have left form the GF T5 if you've already moved on. let me know if you want me to put you two in touch and I'll get out of the middle.

Matt93SE":2g4j5wn9 said:
Hey Jimmy, been off the forum for months since my work blocked the site and I don't have a personal computer anymore.

My dad is in the same boat with the GF T5 in his 240SX. G force was nice enough last year sometime to help him convert from the straight cut dog gears to a synchro setup with the parts they have left so he can continue running a while longer.. then the next race he threw a rod through the block... rebuilt the engine and got 2 races out of it before he lost a head gasket. typical prod car problems? hah.

anyway, he may be interested in any parts you have left form the GF T5 if you've already moved on. let me know if you want me to put you two in touch and I'll get out of the middle.

Hi Matt,
Mine is all refreshed and in the car. I only raced once this year because of work / travel schedule so Im kind of ready to go for 2024.
I'll ride this one out until I break it or find a good replacement.
Its not for sure this was the last gasp either, they said they would help me as long as they had parts, but for certain the writing is on the wall there isnt much left for these trans.

If I decide to move on earlier than I expect I'll certainly reach out and let you know (like if I find some great deal on a Drenth DG350 LOL.

Cheers
Jimmy P

jimmypet":21a6obmb said:
Hi Matt,
Mine is all refreshed and in the car. I only raced once this year because of work / travel schedule so Im kind of ready to go for 2024.
Its not for sure this was the last gasp either, they said they would help me as long as they had parts, but for certain the writing is on the wall there isnt much left for these trans.

If I decide to move on earlier than I expect I'll certainly reach out and let you know (like if I find some great deal on a Drenth DG350 LOL.

Cheers
Jimmy P

I know how that goes. blew the engine in my car back in Feb, and I haven't been motivated enough to fix it. kids are doing well in karting so I took the repair budget and spent it on the kids racing. I'll get an engine put together over the winter and back out next year sometime, although I don't know how much enthusiasm I have left in me. maybe when I get back on track I'll feel better about things.

Dad blew up his trans early last season and G force had just enough parts left to convert from a full dog box to a close ratio synchro setup for his car. they're just about out of parts and didn't plan to make any more so limited to the stuff on hand. pickings are getting slim. Since he only races at Hallett and some other shorter tracks, my thought is he can probably get away with the "cheap solution"- Jerico 4spd and maybe pick a different final drive. but if you wind up getting rid of yours and there's anything inside the case that's still useful, then maybe it's worth some horse trading- even if they are old nags LOL.

Matt93SE":cpko5q5k said:
jimmypet":cpko5q5k said:
Hi Matt,

Cheers
Jimmy P

I know how that goes. blew the engine in my car back in Feb, and I haven't been motivated enough to fix it. kids are doing well in karting so I took the repair budget and spent it on the kids racing. I'll get an engine put together over the winter and back out next year sometime, although I don't know how much enthusiasm I have left in me. maybe when I get back on track I'll feel better about things.

Dad blew up his trans early last season and G force had just enough parts left to convert from a full dog box to a close ratio synchro setup for his car. they're just about out of parts and didn't plan to make any more so limited to the stuff on hand. pickings are getting slim. Since he only races at Hallett and some other shorter tracks, my thought is he can probably get away with the "cheap solution"- Jerico 4spd and maybe pick a different final drive. but if you wind up getting rid of yours and there's anything inside the case that's still useful, then maybe it's worth some horse trading- even if they are old nags LOL.

It felt really weird to miss racing and only race once, so I knew that I still wanted to do it LOL.
I was kind of nice not working on the car all the time and having some weekends though I have to admit.
If something happens and I get a trans solution while mine is still in any level of good I will not do anything with it until I message you.

jimmypet":32bvp4xs said:
Matt93SE":32bvp4xs said:
jimmypet":32bvp4xs said:
Hi Matt,

Cheers
Jimmy P

It felt really weird to miss racing and only race once, so I knew that I still wanted to do it LOL.
I was kind of nice not working on the car all the time and having some weekends though I have to admit.
If something happens and I get a trans solution while mine is still in any level of good I will not do anything with it until I message you.
Kinda the same boat. I'm certainly motivated and want to get back out on track- that's where all my friends are on weekends. But with the kids in karting, I've developed a new cadre of race-dad friends and we spend 10-20 weekends a year at the track hanging out with each other and telling lies about how good we used to be. ;)
I'm still at the track and still spending the rest of my free time in the garage wrenching, but I'm not wrenching on my own stuff and driving anymore. yeah I miss it, but I don't miss the additional workload of 3 of us racing. Add in the advice and whatnot I help Dad with since I turn into remote crew chief and mechanic advisor on his car too. All good, but 2022 schedule was brutal for me. Maybe there will be time and budget for me to get back out next season.

Ok sorry, back to the subject. :)
deffo message me before you turn it into a boat anchor!

Would that T5 fit a third gen Camaro? I might be in if Matt doesn't want it.

I am surprised GForce is out of the business of T5s. Is that all T5s or just dog boxes? They still sell all the internal upgrade components on Jegs, for example.

Tom Feller":26nkb5ii said:
Would that T5 fit a third gen Camaro? I might be in if Matt doesn't want it.

I am surprised GForce is out of the business of T5s. Is that all T5s or just dog boxes? They still sell all the internal upgrade components on Jegs, for example.

GForce is basically out of the business of racing Tremec's in general it sounds like (thats what they told me the last time I picked up my trans).
They no longer even employ a Tremec tech at their in house custom shop (there used to be several).
Their focus seems to be their GS line of trans.
They may have more parts available for their syncro'd line of T5s but the ones we were talking about were specifically the dog ring / straight gear sets they had done for the T5s. Thats what I was told is running out.
The T5 I use I believe uses a 3rd Gen F Body tailshaft (with the goofy angled rear mount).

Back