October 2012 Prelim Minutes and TB

Wouldn't the track on rh spitfire 1500 increase as well? The front is identical to te 1300 and rear is 2" wider from the factory

Aaron, I wrote a letter to the club racing technical staff requesting a "rules correction using a race memo" PCS 9.1.5.C.4 states how to arrive at the permitted track. Yet, none of the listed tracks for any of the Spitfires matches the formula given. The response was that I should write a letter to the CRB requesting a rules change. I refused to do so since it is clear to me that the CRB either can not read or do not know how to operate a calculator. This from previous requests. So the result is the track got changed in two weeks verses the typical 4-5 month process and the CRB has proved once again that either they can't read or they don't know how to operate a calculator.

racingspridget":2ebcurgv said:
Yet, none of the listed tracks for any of the Spitfires matches the formula given. The response was that I should write a letter to the CRB requesting a rules change. I refused to do so since it is clear to me that the CRB either can not read or do not know how to operate a calculator.
For the record, the reason why many of the tracks listed in the GCR don't match the provided formula, is because whoever was running Prod since the dawn of time would apparently pull these numbers out of their ass. The PAC of recent years felt that was stupid, so an actual formula was introduced only about 2-3 years ago. The PAC has taken the stance to not go through all of the classifications and check the track calculations of every single one of them, because it would take an unbelievable amount of time, we have lives, and we don't get paid for this. If you think that's absurd and not too much to ask, then by all means please be my guest, and go through all of them in your free time and send in a copy to the PAC. We'd be very appreciative. The PAC figured that if they'd like to, it would be very easy for the competitors to check their own classification, and to use our handy letter-writting website to alert us of an error and what it should be. We'd then stamp it with our official "PRODRULEZ!!!" stamps on our next phone call (which happens once a month), and it would show up in the next FasTrack a couple of weeks later. Sounds pretty easy to me.

Even the number listed for my more recently classed (2007'ish?) Integra was wrong per the formula. I noticed it, wrote a letter to have it corrected, and it changed. BTW, the Spitfire tracks were visited again on the last call.

Kevin - just to be clear - the formula is accurate, but the spec line could be wrong?

I always wondered which was right. I know there's an inch discrepancy between the two, for my car.

Thanks in advance.

And don't give up on all of us - some of us do like how things are going and love Prod in general.

Just to be clear, the formula is accurate but shouldn't be used to set up your track. The track width number on the spec line is the rule to follow. If you have determined your spec line track number is incorrect and want to use the formula number, write a letter to get the spec line changed.

Aaron Johnson":1gfrz8nj said:
Wouldn't the track on rh spitfire 1500 increase as well? The front is identical to te 1300 and rear is 2" wider from the factory
Aaron, have you looked at the track callout for the 1500. As I recall the 1500 already had a wider track callout and did not need to be changed.

Gary,

Mathematically speaking the track number on my spec line is 1.5" under the formula. I will write a letter. Should be a no brainer as Jon's car just went through impound and I can't imagine they wouldn't check track on a prod car.

I'll shoot Jon an eMail and see if he'll tell me which number he's using.

The formula for calculating track first appeared in the 2008 PCS 5 years ago. Not 2-3 years ago. I will donate my time to calculate the proper track for every prod car listed in the PCS if the PAC and CRB will promise to immediately correct every error. On the other hand if we are not going to use the formula then why not remove it from the PCS?

I would also volunteer whatever time was necessary to fix this thing. It's a disaster. Others have helped in the past, I'd be happy to jump in; this one affects me.

My Capri is wider than the formula because I requested it. With 7" wheels and cantilever slicks the rear the tires rubbed on the inside without more offset which increased track to where it was beyond the formula. I think there are some other cars with struts that are in the same boat.

I considered the formula in the PCS to be just as final as the allowance for rear disc brakes, also in the PCS near the formula.

James Rogerson

Back