New Server Tests

M

Magneticat

Doing some tests on the new server before the upgrade. Attachments.

Attachments

• dawson-2000-7a13ab1deca94a99a22f4cce397761d5.jpg
    dawson-2000-7a13ab1deca94a99a22f4cce397761d5.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,013
:banana:
We have been working with the upgrade in a test directory, will swap it with the live website when done.

Upgrade complete. Welcome to the new forum.

Latest PHPBB version with newer PHP version, which should make things a bit more pleasant to use. I deployed the same style you were using before but things might be of course different due to the changes in this version of PHPBB.

Attachments

• k3.jpg
    k3.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 982
No one expects you to bear the expense and do all the work too, so remember to come up with a way for people to contribute to the cause.

No one expects you to bear the expense and do all the work too, so remember to come up with a way for people to contribute to the cause.

Thanks tGA. next time I see you on track, I'll pull over and let you by. (then pass you again. ;) )

I got logged out and managed to remember my password, but the reset emails never came through. Also the admins/moderators listed are Tim, Matt, and Darren. From the other discussions those seem to be outdated.

Overall I’m very glad to see this forum alive and well again! Thanks Greg!

Ian, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately? LOL) nobody gets emails (admins or users) when there's new users or ones needing reactivations. it's a glitch in the background somewhere. I would just make it a point to regularly log into the admin panel and check for new/updated users and activate their accounts if they looked human.

Maybe GA can fix the email glitch while he's sprucing up the place.

Matt, have you tested that recently? It was all moved to a new system and the software upgraded, so everything should be functional. I get a "notification" tag in the upper right whenever an admin function is needed. I've not seen any emails. - GA

EDIT: disregard. I went in there and adjusted some email settings; it was using Darren's SMTP info. Now it's using the internal board functionality and I successfully sent a test email to myself. - GA

Thanks Greg. I did see Admin notifications when I first logged in on the new board.
I didn't log in over the weekend and see no notification now. however when I go to the admin panel, there are about 60 new names registered over the weekend. I suspect a huge number of those are spam. but the point is there's no notification for the new members to be reviewed ??

The board is set to email users for email confirmations. I'm guessing emails were not going out until today.

What would you use as a basis for review? No way to know if it's spam or not, and it's kinda fishy we have 60 new member requests?

Where in the admin panel are the requests? I'm only now becoming familiar with PHPBB.

EDIT: Aaaand, disregard that question, too. I found the inactive users area and sent out a reminder email to each for self-registration. I'd not be surprised if a bunch of them bounce...

EDIT 2: Looking at that list, those aren't legit. Just let 'em ride, unless you can confirm directly they're valid humans that are actually interested in Prod racing. I'll go in there every once in a while and delete old ones.

GA, I would add just a couple more challenge/ verification questions if you don't mind. even something that requires an actual thought out response if we can do that.
"Why are you interested registering for in this forum?"
"what is your SCCA region of record?"
"what car do you race or are planning to race?"
"Do you race according to the rules as interpreted by Senna or Pobst?"
etc.

That would quickly eliminate a vast majority of the spam if we can more easily establish real person with a funky email vs. gibberish.

I'm somewhat ambivalent on simple verification email to the registrant vs. requiring an admin to activate new users. Darren was getting sooo many registrations (you're seeing it too), it was a hassle to do every day. but there are many spam systems which can also get through the verification emails, at least when the spammers have valid email addresses. So what's the right answer of easy vs. hard?

I was looking in there today, trying to figure that out. I've failed so far.

I did a test reg of myself today using another email address, and I can't even find where the current questions are ("Are you a spammer" with a simple drop-down "yes/no"; and "what does SCCA standa for?" with a drop down of "I don't know/Sports Car Club of America").

It does have a somple Capcha image query but those are apparently easy to override and/or read...

I'll keep playing around. For now, we'll just approve those that we know are legit. - GA

Follow up: reCaptcha v3 has been setup (per Harry, "entirely invisible, tracks mouse movement and reaction times to make sure you are human") and I've added email verification. That should take care of the lion's share of spambot requests.

I also added a funtion where new users are added to a "new user registration" group until they go past three posts. That should be enough to swat 'em for posting spam.

Step by step...

Back