May 2012 Fastrack Posted

Yes, and while your busy writing checks to your prep shop, you stop writing them to the SCCA. Only so much money in the till. Come on SCCA, keep shooting your toes off. If Mazda hadn't built the Miata, this club would have died.

Actually, probably overdue.

Simplifies classes and makes them more logical / understandable to newcomers / spectators.

Doesn't help if you're negatively affected by the changes.

RJS

Recalling the qualifying and race times from the Runoffs, it appears that the natural order of things has already combined the two classes (DSR, CSR) the SCCA just hadn't noticed until recently and this proposal catches them up to reality.

winner DSR 36 Tom Bootz-fatest lap 2:02.656; average of 5 fastest laps 2:02.973; average of all laps except "green flag" lap 2:03.327

winner CSR 84 Steve Forrer- fastest lap 2:02.782; average of 5 fastest laps 2:02.899; average of all laps except "green flag" lap 2:03.286

These similarities in performance are seen throughout the grid. If the rules of the cars are left as they are now and the classes combined there should be minimal angst. The rules will need to be couched as (level 1; level 2) or something like that. The weight for each engine combination left pretty much as it is now. This should be one of the easiest class consolidations ever undertaken.

I guess that the question I have is why do they need to add another class (SR2) to have cars with what appear to be essentially the same rules except for no underbody aero? That is not going to make the class more financially achievable than the DSR/CSR class and it just keeps moving the ball away from the ultimate stated goal of SCCA of "reducing the number of classes". If they decided that SR2 was to have 600cc bike engines that couldn't be tweeked to the max (the 13K rev limit may certainly be a part of that) perhaps it would be a cost saving vs. existing class but with the statement that a DSR could be transistioned to this new class by changing the underbody aero it seems unlikely that this is where they are going to land.

Rob":3215fb09 said:
Recalling the qualifying and race times from the Runoffs, it appears that the natural order of things has already combined the two classes (DSR, CSR) the SCCA just hadn't noticed until recently and this proposal catches them up to reality.

winner DSR 36 Tom Bootz-fatest lap 2:02.656; average of 5 fastest laps 2:02.973; average of all laps except "green flag" lap 2:03.327

winner CSR 84 Steve Forrer- fastest lap 2:02.782; average of 5 fastest laps 2:02.899; average of all laps except "green flag" lap 2:03.286

These similarities in performance are seen throughout the grid. If the rules of the cars are left as they are now and the classes combined there should be minimal angst. The rules will need to be couched as (level 1; level 2) or something like that. The weight for each engine combination left pretty much as it is now. This should be one of the easiest class consolidations ever undertaken.

I guess that the question I have is why do they need to add another class (SR2) to have cars with what appear to be essentially the same rules except for no underbody aero? That is not going to make the class more financially achievable than the DSR/CSR class and it just keeps moving the ball away from the ultimate stated goal of SCCA of "reducing the number of classes". If they decided that SR2 was to have 600cc bike engines that couldn't be tweeked to the max (the 13K rev limit may certainly be a part of that) perhaps it would be a cost saving vs. existing class but with the statement that a DSR could be transistioned to this new class by changing the underbody aero it seems unlikely that this is where they are going to land.

S2000 is going to go into SR2. Watch for those cars to be the target for the rest of the class specs. Equalization happened a long time ago and yes it just took the powers that be this long to act upon it.

Ahh, yes. I recall reading that S2000 is in that class now as well. So that would make it a reduction of total number of classes. I suspect that you are right, S2000 will end up being the performance index for the class and that is a good thing, there was some mention of the "Euro rules" with the Zetec upgrade though, now that I think about it.

Assuming the process / adjustments are well managed , SR2 has great potential to bring out quite a few cars that have been left in the dust by modern ground effects cars.

Step in the right direction , Well Done CRB

Matt93SE":ltwtng0a said:
jdh":ltwtng0a said:
When do the Fit engines go in the SRF/SR3?

I thought they were already using them? (Or is there something else I didn't read here?)

Formula Ford was changed to Formula F when the Fit engine was allowed for that class.

Back