July 2012 Fastrack Posted

No, but there is a whole section on race administration to make things more customer friendly. Now if I can just get them to add log books online and have tech notes uploaded and have boarding passes printed out from home before we even go to the track. If only. We could reduce the entry fee's by at least 30%.

James Rogerson

James Rogerson":1qld8j8o said:
No, but there is a whole section on race administration to make things more customer friendly. Now if I can just get them to add log books online and have tech notes uploaded and have boarding passes printed out from home before we even go to the track. If only. We could reduce the entry fee's by at least 30%.

James Rogerson

Don't want much do you?

I'd volunteer to write the web app for the online logbooks, at a greatly reduced rate or trade for Majors/Runoffs entry fees or something amenable.

I can't imagine anyone in power would allow the physical logbooks to disappear - but I'd love to be proven wrong.

We could easily keep the physical log books and have the annotations kept online. Must replace gloves, suspended for contact, etc. Someone might let that happen.

How does that add up to 30% of entry fees? Are Tech and Registration union shops? Don't let the rest of the SCCA volunteer workers find out!

That would be great if I could get an iPhone app for my log book. I always have my phone, but sometimes my logbook wanders off.

One thing to remember is that some tracks have poor data service (wifi or cell data) so if you are dependent on that what happens when the access is down or the web site has issues. What is the back up plan?

For the MAM race the tech person printed out a new copy of the entire GCR to use at the track instead of just bringing a laptop to use. Most of the laptops that are used at the track for registration, timing, etc. are owned by the volunteer in that spot.

Don't have any fancy electronics...can't afford them > tow money, race fuel, fees, HANS, seatbelts, transponders, and tires always came first. Now: income down, outflow up, market in dumper, future not looking as ++++ ..............

So, will this obsolete my old paper logbooks? Cars that haven't run in recent years? Going to "chip" rollbars/chassis for id like NASCAR? Will National sends me a smart phone/Ipad with my next membership/lic. renewal? Will it have SCCA logo on it? Preloaded with GCR and auto update app. to Fastrack? (Would be happy to just get renewal notices in a timely manner, same with GCR. and yes, I do send paper checks in...can't trust my "connections", been blown up before....) Will cars without E-logs not be able to race?

Perhaps with all the fall off in physical entries at tracks and members, best to just park any "real" cars, toterhomes, rigs, trailers and other energy hogs, then race from virtural garages? Keep regions from losing their XXX on low turnout events... Besides heard of more "gamers" at LeMans this year, than SCCA club folks.... The future might just not fit current model of an SCCA. No more busted knuckles...just jammed fingers and weaker eyes. No wasted hydrocarbon resources, no need for volunteers or "members"...lowest risk?

Gad! had to hire a firm to figure out why membership and entries go down....but first have to define expectations and objectives? Got to say that does make sense in a strange way... Stand back and read that Fasttrack, not as an interested party, rather just as a casual viewer.......looks worse than the US tax codes... Seems with time, things human endevor to enhance, just get cluttered up....

Bob, "Okie", L.

"active" member since 1968,... not so much today....just keeping lic. current... don't ask me why....haven't a clue.. other outlets to run...just "because". + being an older guy, now can't get in on that multi year lic. renewal program, why not? Healthier life style than ever, due to forced walks, bike rides, and less food....(no bucks)? even backed off on vintage effort....

More...

This just in while I was posting:
(yes, I have strayed badly off topic on blocking off inlets, good for GT, but not mentioned for Prod??? ...just got to rolling...I appologize. Memphis Dbl had 50 cars or so--9FPs; then StL. at Gateway with next cancelled; now Atl....I have thoughts, but no fixes...... So, best to fade to background and be quiet, again.....Just hope this issue gets covered by those consultants, or others for the good of our Club..........Okie)

Racing Fan

Tonight it was voted unanimously by a quorum of the Atlanta Region Board of Directors to
cancel our August 4-5 event at Atlanta Motorsports Park.
The change to the SEDiv calendar has just been made.

If you have anyone you know personally that might need to be aware of this change, please
pass this information on to them.

Our next event at Road Atlanta if July 14-15, 2012. It's a big one folks.
Double SARRC, Double Pro IT, ECR and our PDX.

Everyone that flys commercial can print out their boarding pass before they ever go to the airport. With everything online and registration done on line there is little need for a registrar to worry about connectivity at the track. The tech information is also verifed online and a sticker is printed (or not) for the competitor. Cars on track (verified by transponder) not in timing and scoring database are subject to penalty of $50.00 or some such number. It's all done from your home before you ever leave. The registration process should only be used for those that are the 5% that can't handle things ahead of time. Building a business system to meet the needs of the minority and not the majority is a simple plan for economic failure.

I was racing crap cars in 1964 and I never want to do so again. Back then my criteria was cash and id that said you were 21. They took my cash until someone, that I beat, complained that I wasn't 21 and then the SCCA asked me to leave their event site. I drove to the track and drove home. No real license and no log book to speak of while the rule book was about 10 pages.

James

I can see a point in a few years where all entry forms and registration will be on the main SCCA site. Maybe SCCA buys MSR and folds it into the SCCA site. A region inputs some basic info (costs, schedule, race groups, etc.) and we keep our car data in a central location online. Logbook info as well. Post race notations could be entered there too. That way we could enter races at different tracks, run by different regions in different divisions all in on place. Easy, cheesy.

Would that save on expenses....ya, a little. But the bureaucracy of putting on a race would be more centralized and convenient for the race officials (race chair, registrar, chief steward, CSOM, etc.). A large part of the cost of a race is fees that go to HQ. if these advances can save us some money, it can't be a bad thing.

There a lot of ways we can move forward with technology. But I know this too.....my region still has to mail some entry forms to folks who don't want to enter online (or can't or won't). Whatever the circumstance, we have to be flexible to our wide variety of customers.

Dayle

I agree Dayle. My position is to build our business to those that live electronically. That group will mostly all still be alive in 10 years. The paper pushers will soon be dead and no longer entering events.

James

The cancellation of the race at Atlanta Motorsport Park was due to the concern by the Region for the sound control issue. The track is new and the Region held a Time Trials event there a few weeks ago. Track management was on top of sound control to the point that it created a few issues. They have some neighbors who are already complaining and the management wants to be considerate.

This was an add on event to the Atlanta Region schedule. It was to be a drivers school and one day regional. It is certainly is not being canceled for attendance concerns. Atlanta Region has already conducted a Double National and a Rational at Road Atlanta and has a Double Rational scheduled at Barber on Labor Day weekend.

Once the track has figured out their sound issue, I think the Region will consider events there.

I was extremely glad to see continued change in Club Racing. From a race administrator's standpoint, this latest change is definitely a step in the right direction, and kudos to those who had a hand in making it happen. It seems as though a small minority of older folks are scared of change, but the majority shouldn't have to suffer as a result. I'm with James on the idea of streamlining the process as much as we can. The less hassle the better. There's always going to be the glitches that cause problems, but we shouldn't operate in fear of the 1% chance.

And on a side note, who the hell wouldn't wanna hear racecars from the comfort of their own couch? Those people in Atlanta are dumb :p

sydxracer":1y8utqif said:
And on a side note, who the hell wouldn't wanna hear racecars from the comfort of their own couch? Those people in Atlanta are dumb :p
when the wind is out of the southwest, I can hear the big bore cars and bikes at your track, and I'm ~7 miles away as the crow flies. quite a distance to carry, but then again this area is flatter than Kansas!

I can see people complaining if a track moves in next door. I can't see people complaining if they build next to an established track. (well, I can and do see them complaining, but it's they're own damn fault. I also know people that move right next to a sewage treatment plant and complain about the smell....)

Point being, in the more highly populated areas, I certainly don't see a problem with a bit of additional sound control, as long as they don't have an 85dB limit or something stupid like that.

sydxracer":k95y1jf0 said:

Yep, I'm sure they are. About as dumb as the people that live around the Milwaukee Mile. A couple weeks ago there was an ASA show on a tuesday evening that ended about 11:30 pm. I live several miles away & with a slight wind can hear the cars/trucks/roval cars. I was there & would be big time pi$$ed if my home was anywhere within a mile of the track. In the case of this track it would be the good old, what/who was here first. The track has been around more than 100 years.

Back