It looks like I will miss next years F/P race too

HSR East seems to find a place for anything with an entry fee. Its a real run what you brung atmosphere.

With SVRA, an SCCA VW like Mark had would be allowed to run group 8 but not scored for points and the like. Worst of all it would be the odd Duck caught up in the middle of some very very serious and competitive racing between fast group 8 vintage U2L TA cars. The fact that they would be running similar lap times with more horsepower, more weight, and less tire would make it a pretty miserable experience for the VW I think.

The SVRA championship featuring rules enforcement, and a runoffs, has some serious potential for traditional vintage cars. It will be neat to see how it develops.

I love vintage but don't think it would satisfy competitors like Rick and Ron anytime in the near future unless they built real vintage cars. Be way better IMHO to just beg them to stick around until the runoffs get moved to Waterford. Not likely :) but boy the Miata guys would be whining for an adjustment then :lol:

An observation from the outside, but what happens if you, or your car, are not competitive in vintage racing? Is it all of a sudden 'okay'? They don't do competition adjustments in vintage, fyi. :think:

Curtis said:
I love vintage but don't think it would satisfy competitors like Rick and Ron anytime in the near future unless they built real vintage cars. :lol:

Rick, already has a vintage car, from what I hear, a pretty fast one at that.

One must also know , vintage is wrapped in to single package like SCCA, it coms in the form of many groups, with many flavors . SVRA is the most SCCA-like (not saying thats a good thing) group, then you have group , like VDCA, at the VDCA, there are no throphies, no points, hardly any rule enforcement,and you know what I think it the best racing I ever expereinced. I got a wall full of throphies, I don't need anymore, don't care about a points standing, i just want to go to race, have palnty of people to race with ad have good time, VDCA delivers on that in a big way.

Bottom line some vintage groups are looking at including what they call post 72 era cars, and if some of you are interested in that, you should persue it, or you can continue to come here and whine about the SCCA abandoning you.

I''l say this, then duck, if you only race vintage with SVRA,and HSR, you're missing out. Those are the two groups I try to avoid, they tend to put on, over complicated weekends, which equals less fun. At a VDCA event I can get close to 3 hours of track time and have a dozen plus cars in my class. For example this weekend, VDCA has their finale at Roebling Road, 3 hours of track time, which include nice long practice and qaulifying sessions, two sprint races, a 1 hour enduro, and always some sort of gimmck race, a oyster roast and pig picking for you and your crew, all for a $300 entry fee.

" Be way better IMHO to just beg them to stick around until the runoffs get moved to Waterford. "

Curtis,
Would you care to clarify that statement ?

I echo Hap's post.
A stable rules set, cars a lot of us enjoy on track, and a fun atmosphere are quite the lure.
VARAC and VSCDA have allotments for later prep level cars , and are watching trends closely.

I placed a "feeler" post some time ago regarding G-P, GT-4 and GT-5 cars for that very purpose. I was curious if there is a enough cars around to add a special "orphaned" race at the Waterford Vintage event.
Selfishly, i admit that it was done in part because it's 3 of my favorite classes, now gone.
Mind you, it would be hard to call it a National Championship.( but then again ,has it ever been at a track where handling and driver ability where the pairing ?)
Instead, I was trying to imagine a race weekend where the classes are a focus, not forgotten
It would have to be at the Vintage event for the noise waiver we enjoy for that one event.
Honest? I do not have any idea if it would work, but i have not pushed the topic either,so it's just an unknown.

Mr. Haynes and the brothers Chima attended our 2011 event .
I think it was the maiden voyage for Rick's vintage car, and sadly he did not enjoy a lot of time on track. Derrick did very well, and Craig dominated his race. Neither returned in 2012. It could have been schedule conflict, been there done that, didn't like it, etc.
I don't know. I hope they and others return to future events.

Point is, look at Vintage grid sheets, and add the folks visiting or walking the paddock at the events.
It's becoming a who's who of the sport.
Now, if i can just get Jack Beck to quit Tractor pulls,,,,

Cheers!

Just wondering, but can't you find the same things at SCCA races - the camaraderie, parties, etc. ?

It just seems that there is some kind of psychological change of a driver between SCCA and vintage. In vintage winning 'doesn't matter', but the same driver might feel differently at a SCCA race, despite him doing the same thing (driving on track with other cars).

I'm just pointing out that vintage there are no competition adjustments. Certain cars are inherently better, and there is nothing you can do about it. There might be an overdog from that era, and in vintage, it will forever remain the overdog. For those who want to win, they won't buy a car from that era, they'll build whatever the best one is from scratch using that era's rule book. Look at the top half a vintage grid - how many of those cars actually have previous racing history and how many were built from street cars in the last twenty years or so? My .02

What I like about vintage is that the rules are applied to all cars equally. Look at the weights for current HP cars in SCCA and you will find some cars at 1.12 lbs/cc while some are at 1.63lbs/cc. I just don't understand why a 16v twin cam powered car weighs less per cc than a 8v pushrod car. Whatever the vintage specs are, the race results indicate they are pretty close to right. As for past SCCA drivers currently racing in vintage. Craig Chima, Rick Haynes, Charlie Guest, Joe Huffaker, Kent Prather, John McCue, Gary Johnson, Andrew Wright, Eddie Beal, Roe Lyle, Harry Gentry, Jim Roberts, Vic Skirmants, just to name the few I know. Out of those 6 past national champions.

Back