Homestead trap speed?

Protech Racing

I have never run the 3/4 banking version. Looks boring as hell, but what might be the trap speed next to Daytona or Sebring?
My Daytona gear runs 128 solo
Sebring gear is about 119
Thanks, MM
I could put one in the middle but would have to add weight.

Might want some more input but I would stay with the Sebring gears. With my 4.9 diff, I was only hitting 6K in the banking (5'th gear) and did not see any increase in speed until I hit the flats. I was about 6.5K at Start Finish.

I am not one of the fast guys so you may want more input.

Was interesting that the car held speed in the banking. The radius and bank angle is enough to load the car up so that it will not go any faster.

Watch your oil pressure. You get enough gs in the banking to pull the oil out of the sump. This is a problem in the Hondas with the backwards engine. May not be a problem in the VW except if you have a center sump.

Protech Racing":22wjqe6k said:
I have never run the 3/4 banking version. Looks boring as hell,

It is, I hate that turn. And Doug is correct about the loading you'll see in it.
I could get to 128 in a draft, alone about 124-125.

The Nascar 3-4 turn is only time I ever really thought that, if I had a tire or suspension failure, I was going to get hurt. I could feel the aluminum seat flexing under my body weight. My Sebring gear (3.9 w/20" tire) was slightly short.

Thanks James. I have a gear for about 122, fresh upsized hubs, new tires.
If you think it is bad for your self, put your kid out there.

Mike,
Big difference between Homestead and Daytona. With the same gearbox, I did not get to 7k at Homestead but was hitting 7k coming off 4 at Daytona. I did have a large splitter at Homestead that I am sure was slowing me down. Won't be running that this year. I would think a 3.89 with a .89 5th would be perfect. Or, a 3.94 with a taller 5th (if you have the correct 5th).

The loading on the banks definitely limits revs. At last year's race, the entire track was dry except that it was sprinkling on the bank for our group. That combined with some oil I could see on my windshield from a car in front of me made me a little nervous.

Good luck. I am skipping Homestead this year due to some family obligations.

Mike, I just checked your links and discovered your chump involvement, and I now recognise you from their forum also. I am part of the LowBrow Porsche team (Green BMW 535 #801). Good luck down at Homestead!

James B, if you can feel your seat flexing, suggest you read the Race Seat dialog in the Technical section.

I doubt you are pulling 1.5 G in the Homestead banking. Look at the photos in the race seat dialog. That looks like he generated much much, more than 5.0 G in his accident. Look at the deformity in the roll cage. A race seat always needs additional bracing, more than required in the GCR/PCS. Be careful when bracing that you don't create supports that can penetrate the seat during an impact.

* Most seats are set up well for a rear impact.
* Most seats leave a lot to be desired for adequate side or diagonal impact.
* Most entry level, low cost, aluminum seats lack adequate bracing for side impact absorption.
I attribute that to their local, short track, origins. The most lethal form of racing for the weekend racer.

If the impact can deform the roll cage, how much additional support is built into your seat?

Thanks James,Ilove the 535. Is that the one that ran Daytona last year? Ithought it was white. My new Chumper is a Ranger truck- ish .

LOL Homestead ain't nothing like Rockingham or Charlotte....and Daytona is a breeze compared ot all three. The banking at Charlotte is sick loading wise.

I was in Miami last winter and rented Mike Van Steenburg's ITS Miata. I think the data had me at 130ish before braking for 1.

Fun track, I like Homestead.

Kinda depends on how deep you go into turn 1--My data showed 122.4 where the hair on the back of your neck stands up. :shock:

Back