Homestead Nat.

Like I said in my post, I fully understand both positions.

I think what Harold is saying is that it would be a shame IF a backmarker determined the eventual winner of our national championships. Not because of any reason other than being at a precise point on the track at a critical time when they were being overtaken. That being there caused the overtaker to loose time and momentum or worse. If that lost time was the difference of winning or loosing it would be a shame. I believe Harold's position is a 1.05% rule would greatly lessen that possibility.

On the other hand, we need to adhere to the rules. Where do you stop? If we lower the rule to 110%, the 105% folks can complain about slower cars "dive bombing" or such. Lower it to 3% and then the front runners will complain about the third row etc

If the club decides that it is OK with a backmarker having the ability to influence our national championship, so be it. We have to deal with it.

At longer tracks like Road America make it much easier to deal with traffic than at shorter ones like HPT. If you come upon someone in the 12, 13, 14 complex you are screwed.

Bill

Every form of racing has to deal with the back markers. That is one of the resions that racing is fun, traffic managment. I think that the 110% rule gives us the best of both worlds, less of a chance to get hampered by a back marker, and hopefully a good turn out of cars.

A lot of good points have been made.

Since the 120% rule is in the GCR, I suggest you write a letter to the CRB if you want it changed for National races. As for the Runoffs, the wording in the Runoffs supps can be different than the GCR. The supps for the Runoffs are written by the National office and reviewed by the Board of Directors. Thus, contact your area Director, some Divisions such as SEDiv & NEDiv have multi Directors, and ask him/her to request the percentage you think is best for the Runoffs.

Personally, I agree with those who think traffic is part of road racing and the really great drivers deal with it. We've already driven off too many drivers and members with personal silly stuff and rules, rules, rules.

On a sad note, FV great Bill Noble passed away yesterday. A really great person, driver and SCCA member. See SCCA.com for details.

Back