Fuel Jugs

craig bryant

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a fuel jug that is maybe shorter or wider than the average made 5 gallon jug? Here's my problem. I just bought a new Ford F150 as the new tow rig, and have a hard folding tonneau cover on order. The cover lays flush across the top of the cargo bed, and a regular size fuel jug standing up is too tall to fit adequately. I know that I could always pack it at an angle, but I would rather have something that fits standing up. I would even settle for one that is a 3 or 4 gallon and just use two of them. Any info or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Craig Bryant

Craig,

Most square 5 gallon race fuel jugs with the quick pour neck seem to be about 21"-22" tall.

There are rectangular 5 gallon jugs most usually associated with power equipment (lawn mowers, generators) that are only 15"-16" tall. These usually have a removable/reversible pour spout that pours VERY slow by comparison.

If your not looking for 18 second pit stops, try local hardware stores (ACE), motorcycle / go kart shops, or Walmart.

RJS

Craig,

Other alternatives include plastic or metal "safety" cans (16"-17" tall), or milk white carboy / utility jugs (15"-17" tall).

I'm guessing that California stations won't allow dispensing into non-DOT containers.

Google McMaster-Carr (huge industrial supply house) and peruse their catalog. All aforementioned options listed. Credit cards accepted.

RJS

Jason@SportsCar":aeq4fyh7 said:
The standard Blitz 5 gal should fit your needs.

If you don't mind waiting 3 days for them to fully empty. Since the new safety and
air quality laws have gone into effect the choices are limited and good jugs are getting
harder to find every day.

The old steel "Blitz" or Jerry" can of WW II fame is about 18"-19" tall.

The company Blitz USA manufacturers the plastic rectangular gas can I referred to in earlier post. Several manufacturers of this style can, with differences in spout configuration; some removable, some not. Shop around to find spout configuration of your choice.

Harbor Freight, or any farmers supply store will have these.

RJS

R. J. Sorensen":2g6pudhp said:
The old steel "Blitz" or Jerry" can of WW II fame is about 18"-19" tall.

The company Blitz USA manufacturers the plastic rectangular gas can I referred to in earlier post. Several manufacturers of this style can, with differences in spout configuration; some removable, some not. Shop around to find spout configuration of your choice.

Harbor Freight, or any farmers supply store will have these.

RJS

Our Tractor Supply had nothing but the cans with the slow as molasses safety spouts as of about noon today. Even the diesel and kerosene cans had them.

you could always modify one of the spouts on those things to pour a bit faster. section of 3/4" or 1" poly tubing, a couple fittings from plumbing department, and voila.

one of the other things I've noticed on many of those cans is that the air vent is tiny[/]. like under 1/8". that seems to be the bottleneck on most of them. considering the threads on those little caps are about 1/2", you can enlarge the air vent hole to about 1/4" with no loss of sealing ability when closed. this takes that 5min pour and reduces it to about 1min. (I did that to my 6gal race jugs for our LeMons pit stops and can dump the whole can in 18 seconds!)

something to keep in mind.

Back