EPA Oversights

From JG Pasternak:

Please stop with the "EPA is trying to ban high-performance parts" thing already. Disappointingly enough, I see some fellow journalist types falling for it as well. They clearly don't remember that this is basically the same rider that's been around for decades that has basically served as sacrificial text for various EPA bills over the years in various forms. Essentially it becomes a way for SEMA to flex its muscle a bit and for the EPA to gain a better understanding of the aftermarket. Actually, at one point, SEMA was actually lobbying for increased restrictions on aftermarket parts because they believed it would raise the standards of the manufacturing and shake loose the crap from the aftermarket. TL;DR: Don't panic. Buy quality parts and support the companies that make them and we'll all be fine.

So pretty much SEMA and other special interests reminding us of this to increase their lobbying power. "Come here, we'll protect you"...

Rob":3l3wbk92 said:
https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08/epa-seeks-to-prohibit-conversion-of-vehicles-into-racecars

I think that it bears further investigation.

Okay, here is the EPA's response:
People may use EPA-certified motor vehicles for competition, but to protect public health from air pollution, the Clean Air Act has – since its inception – specifically prohibited tampering with or defeating the emission control systems on those vehicles.The proposed regulation that SEMA has commented on does not change this long-standing law, or approach. Instead, the proposed language in the Heavy-Duty Greenhouse Gas rulemaking simply clarifies the distinction between motor vehicles and nonroad vehicles such as dirt bikes and snowmobiles. Unlike motor vehicles – which include cars, light trucks, and highway motorcycles – nonroad vehicles may, under certain circumstances, be modified for use in competitive events in ways that would otherwise be prohibited by the Clean Air Act.EPA is now reviewing public comments on this proposal.

Or in other words, 'we don't care about your race car. Just don't rip emissions equipment off, drive it on the street, and claim you did so because it's a competition car'.

Like every organization, SEMA has an agenda too..

hoffman900":3a944368 said:
Rob":3a944368 said:
Or in other words, 'we don't care about your race car. Just don't rip emissions equipment off, drive it on the street, and claim you did so because it's a competition car'.

Like every organization, SEMA has an agenda too..

I don't know if I agree with that interpretation of the EPA response provided. SEMA agenda or not, I see the EPA response as being quite clear about the distinction between motor vehicles (cars and trucks) and snowmobiles and motorcycles modified for use in off-road competition.

I think the real question is whether they decide to enforce the regulations as written.

Actually, all this sounds like a conspiracy between the SCCA National Office and the EPA, to get rid of the problem with trying to classify divergent vehicles, and make them competitive with each other. That, and bolstering the sale of dedicated race cars by Enterprise

toolatesmart":2a5u53o6 said:
Actually, all this sounds like a conspiracy between the SCCA National Office and the EPA, to get rid of the problem with trying to classify divergent vehicles, and make them competitive with each other. That, and bolstering the sale of dedicated race cars by Enterprise

that's funny!

toolatesmart":1r9t36c2 said:

LBC drivers pushing legislation to make modern Prod cars slower. :lol:

We will show them, time to revive this: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/31/sema ... gislation/

As an environmental chemist who lives near Flint, MI (I'm about 45 miles away), I can assure you that the EPA has far more pressing items on its agenda. Old infrastructure causing tainted drinking water, climate change, mine waste spills, pipeline leaks. You name it. I don't think they'll sweat a few thousand race cars. :wink:

Dayle

Actually I've just realized that it's a plot by the LBC drivers to take back Prod. When all the post 1968 (ie Clean Air Act) Prod cars are confiscated, guess what's left....

This all makes sense now - a suspicious number of LBC drivers I've known have worked for the Federal Gov't. It all adds up!

Where's the black helicopter emoticon?

I've got a secret weapon though, a 1966 Datsun Roadster tucked away in a garage.

Al Seim":2vfduapk said:
Actually I've just realized that it's a plot by the LBC drivers to take back Prod. When all the post 1968 (ie Clean Air Act) Prod cars are confiscated, guess what's left....

This all makes sense now - a suspicious number of LBC drivers I've known have worked for the Federal Gov't. It all adds up!.
I guess my letter to the EPA worked. Finally a rule change that doesn't put us further behind the eight ball. LBC's forever!!! :)

Seriously though, what are the chances of this going through?

see, Al - you always thought I was up to something sinister. Gotta run, the helicopter is ready for takeoff.

Mike:

Aha, proof! I knew it! No idea why it took me so long to see, the pattern was obvious. Started with Randy then grew. Feds in LBCs quietly plotting.

Ron:

Reading the EPA "clarification" I think that what they are saying is that it's ALWAYS (since 1968?) been illegal to modify an emissions compliant engine or car in such a way that it is no longer compliant. Apparently the change is that there would be an explicit exemption for vehicles originally intended for off road use.

If this is true, it would be reasonable to assume that the same lack of enforcement against individuals as has gone on since 1968 would continue, so no real issue. If I were in a business doing this (modifying production cars or engines for competition) on a large scale I might be more concerned, especially now that there's a spotlight on the issue.

Edit: I wrote this BEFORE I read the Jay Lamm letter linked from the earlier post. Now I'm not so sure this is innocuous, though I'm also less sure it will go through.

What annoys the hell out of me about this is the huge numbers of yard work tools that are used everyday, most of which spew out far more pollutants than your average racecar.

Back