Door windows

Jeffyoung

Long time IT guy here, not really following the Prod rules on door windows. I've got a two seat sports car, roll down windows with a fixed "vent" window.

Can I replace all of the existing glass with Lexan/Perspex of 3mm thickness and run the car with the windows up? Or if I replace, do I have to replace and leave in the roll down mechanism so I can roll th windows down? Or does just the driver's window have to run down?

Thanks guys.

Jeffyoung":3ucdxb8i said:
Can I replace all of the existing glass with Lexan/Perspex of 3mm thickness and run the car with the windows up? Or if I replace, do I have to replace and leave in the roll down mechanism so I can roll th windows down? Or does just the driver's window have to run down?

Yes and no Jeff. You can replace all of the glass with Lexan, if you want to. You do however have to run both side windows open, or down. Considering the weight you'd be better off just removing them.
As for all the window and door mechanisms, you can remove all of that too if you choose to, you shouldn't need any of that stuff anymore anyway. The door can be completely gutted and lightened significantly. You don't even have to retain the OE door latches if you don't want to.

Just make damn sure you don't remove the original door hinges and mount them somewhere else, like the trunk floor for example!

Trust me, it's been done!

In the trunk??

At the Runoffs, I had mine mounted to the right rear under the car in my Turner 950 S. Heck, they were solid brass and weighted a pound each. So, I put them where they helped. Tech didn't think it was funny, but the rules just said they had to be retained. I retained them and the rule was rewritten the next year.

How do you feel about cutting 2/3's of them off one end and calling that lightening? Basically nothing but the hinge portion remaining.

Back