December 2012 Prelim Minutes and Tech Bulletin

Do I read this right? The VW Golf and Jetta get more compression for 2013? Can somebody rationalize that for me?

Dayle

There are two different CRs in HP for the 1.8 engine. There didn't seem to be any reason have two different ratios for the same level of engine build. Bringing them inline with Rabbit and the Sirocco.
Chuck

Believe me, it has crossed my mind. My car gets crushed in a straight line and any advantage I have in corners is quickly erased once we get pointed straight.

Dayle

I think everyone other than Greg and I should be given 14:1 minimum. That way we always cruise to a win dodging the stranded hand grenades. :p

James -R
Someone should make me an offer on the #66 HP Honda.

R. J. Sorensen said:
Did I read this wrong?

A-H Bug-Eye in FP?

30 lb. off of "Superman's" Spitfire?

RJS
Yes - You read that wrong. It is the 1500 Spridget, not Spitfire. I thought that you knew that Dieter was building a 1500 Midget for F. Looks like he asked for and got a weight break.

As for the Bugeye in F, for some reason previous boards didn't think this was a proper thing to do. Is there something wrong with that other than it will seem strange at first, but when you realize that they run with a 1275 in H it doesn't seem so strange.

I read it as all sprites and midgets in FP could use the bug eye front end. Did I read it correctly? Would that be an aero adjustment?

Joe Walker said:
I read it as all sprites and midgets in FP could use the bug eye front end. Did I read it correctly? Would that be an aero adjustment?
Not that I know of. It has been debated for some time now whether the Bugeye has an aero advantage over the square body. I am quite sure that the original steel bonnet certainly does not have an advantage. The fiberglass version with the headlights lowered and sunken into the front end might be close to the square body front end, but since no one has sprung for the cost to do a head to head test in a wind tunnel, not to mention doing the CFD analysis, any thoughts on this either way is just conjecture. I will say that from my perspective if I thought that the bugeye was better, I would have one on the front of my car. That includes the present day since I just banged up my square body front end and the easiest thing to do would be to hang a bugeye nose on the car, and that isn't happening.

Joe,

I agree with Ron. The Bugeye front end has the same frontal area as the square body and although it has more slope and a smaller radiator opening, the headlight pockets probably negate any aero advantage and cannot be changed per the rules. It is legal to use it on a square body in HP ( you can also use the Bugeye rear with a square body front) but it has never been allowed in FP. Probably not enough interest or $ to do a real aero study.

Weight difference using like material composite panels is also minimal.

Rod Hahnemann
SPRIDGETECH, INC

I can run drag testing on both cars. For less than 1000$
I need both cars and some high pressure ****** *****, fresh calipers, same rear gear/diff. same trans. (I need the same mechanical drag).
The simple test values will be same/ better/ worse, reference. I look at many configurations of many cars, from TA cars to our little VW HP cars.

If you want actual drag values, the price goes up, because then I have to do real math :) But it is also an option.
MM

Back