Datsun 510 in HP...fuel cell or stock tank?

Stan Clayton

Hi guys,

I am resurrecting my long-parked Dime (former ITC car), and considering level 2 H-Prod since ITC is virtually dead out here (no entries in SFR for 2012). Is the 510 considered to have the OEM fuel tank "located between the axle centerlines and within the main chassis structure (e.g. frame rails)" per 9.1.5.11.a.?

Any other gotchas you can think of?

TIA, Stan

Is the tank within 20in of the rear bumper? Ithink that it is. Dont know for sure. If the tank is infront of the rear axles, it is OK,
Behind the axles not. IMHO.

"located between the axle centerlines and within the main chassis structure (e.g. frame rails)" per 9.1.5.11.a.?

The rule is pretty straight forward. OEM fuel tank forward of the rear axle centerline (not some of the tank forward & some the tank behind the axle center line) & between chassis structure (frame rails/ unibody frame rails).

A good example would be a Miata. Take a peek under a OEM tanked Miata.

David Dewhurst":4x6zwgyw said:
"located between the axle centerlines and within the main chassis structure (e.g. frame rails)" per 9.1.5.11.a.?

The rule is pretty straight forward. OEM fuel tank forward of the rear axle centerline (not some of the tank forward & some the tank behind the axle center line) & between chassis structure (frame rails/ unibody frame rails).

A good example would be a Miata. Take a peek under a OEM tanked Miata.
It has been my considerable experience that the rules are rarely straight forward... :mrgreen:

I endo'd an itc 510 in Pueblo in the early 90's. It landed the first time on the rear bumper/top of trunk crushing much of the structure behind the axle centerline above the trunk floor. The tank was barely damaged, the rear most flange area was very slightly bent. After rolling three more times the car eventually came to rest on its wheels. It was early in the race on a full tank. While there was no fuel loss or fire I feel I dodged a huge bullet. Use a safety fuel cell. I will look for photos as it was pre-GoPro.

By those criteria, Karl, the Club should require fuel cells in all cars. Yet it doesn't because we balance risk with cost. For instance out here at SFR's Thunderhill, the HP record is barely faster than ITC, and slower than half the IT classes, all of which permit OEM tanks irrespective of location.

In any case, I have asked for an official decision on the 510 from the Club, and will proceed accordingly.

Thanks, Stan

Stan, I was not commenting based on the rule. If it is legal after measuring then its legal. My evidence also supports the stock tank, as you would be hard pressed to wreck worse. That stated, I am worth more than the $800 a cell would cost and I believe in the 510 case a cell is a better option.

The cell, if mounted low in the spare tire area, would have been unnaffected by my crash.

Stan Clayton It has been my considerable experience that the rules are rarely straight forward... :mrgreen:[/quote said:
Some folks would have issue with a rule spec that a car shall have a steering wheel. :wink:

David Dewhurst":16033h29 said:
Some folks would have issue with a rule spec that a car shall have a steering wheel. :wink:

David,

You may be on to something ...

Since you brought up steering wheels ... where exactly in the PCS is it allowed for a level 2 car to change the steering wheel from stock? I know the column is unrestricted in level 2 and I know in level 1 Steering system components are unrestricted. However, I do not see an allowance to change the steering wheel from stock in level 2 (... unless of course you had a wood rim steering wheel since they are prohibited. Either that or you couldn't have a steering wheel).

( ... just stirring the pot. Sorry for the hijacking of the thread.)

- M (w/ a level 1/2 prod configuration)

Michael, how about rule 10.c. Driver/Passenger/Trunk Compartment Level 1 and 2

Modifications can be made to improve driver comfort and driver control.

I get a whole lot of "comfort" knowing with my QD steering hub I can escape for whatever reason much faster with the steering wheel QDed & tossed. Biger/smaller steering wheel for beter "control".

Hijack tangents are a goooooooooood thing. :think:

A little tanget like this got the radiator screen thing going. Most everone did some sort of screen & there was no rule................... :roll:

Back