Covid at the Runoffs

Keith Church

Well, this may go a little long but it is incredibly important to many so please read. Many of you know that I am mid 70’s with a COPD issue. I have been absent from racing for the last 3 years because I recognized my risk with COVID. Quite frankly, I spent the last 3 years hiding from it (avoiding mass gatherings etc.) I finally decided the risk was so small I could return to normal activities. I got back to pre-COVID activities and lost the 30+lbs I had gained sitting on my butt. I renewed my SCCA membership, got a Tech license and went to the Runoffs at VIR to help with Tech feeling the best I had in 4 or 5 years.
I learned last Sun. AM that someone I worked with had been exposed. We made efforts to socially distance but in retrospect, with loud cars on course and around in tech we had to raise our voices and get close together to do our job (communication is key). Fortunately, a senior techie (thanks Julie) had the foresight to bring Covid test kits to the track. The exposed person was tested and was NEGATIVE. All was fine until Sat. AM when I began to experience symptoms. These symptoms were exactly like the COPD related chest colds I get twice a year so I sat in a secluded area and had my wife bring me a heavier jacket from home (60 miles away). My symptoms worsened including a new swelling of the glands in my neck. Shortly after lunch I got a test kit from Julie and tested POSITIVE. My temp had spiked to 103. I notified my boss, turned in my gear and left the track immediately.
HERE ARE SOME IMPORTANT THINGS I LEARNED. If you are exposed, test daily for several days (kits are free). If you become symptomatic, withdraw and re-test. If you get COVID, don’t underestimate it. Call your Dr. Ask for the “Trump Cocktail”of Paxlovid, Prednazone, etc. This stuff is awesome, my temp (103+) dropped (99) and symptoms improved just a few hours after taking them. Avoid Statins and Ibuprofen as these are contraindicated with the steroids in the Prednazone part. Treat it as you would any other severe chest cold. Get a Target or a Drug store Finger Pulse Oximeter (like they use in your Dr’s office) for about $50. Amazon can deliver one in hours with Prime. If your pulse O2 drops to mid to high 80’s ask your Dr. if you need an Oxygen bottle. Bed rest is important but avoid lying flat for prolonged periods as this may cause your O2 # to decline. I put a chair behind my recliner to keep it from going all the way back and noticed a significant improvement in my O2 numbers. As soon as you feel able, get up and move around. Lying about excessively does no good.
I still believe that most of the hysteria inducing advice we have received about masking and social distancing is BS. Young healthy people get no medical benefit from masking. Most people can mask if you wish, regardless of it’s effectiveness, it may give you mental benefit. Those of us with COPD issues need to be careful about masking. While the N95 mask cannot stop the airborne COVID molecules, the mask can harbor exhaled fluids that restrict your air intake and compromise you O2 levels.
There are COVID risk associated with large public gatherings in a noisy environment. Those of us in tech have to take advantage of the assets we have. Most SCCA race officials (and attendees) are over 60 and hearing impaired. Wear head phones (or ear protection muffs) over your hearing aides. Sync your phone with your hearing aids so it will ding when you get a text and rely on texting for communications at the venue.
Finally, COVID IS A FACT OF LIFE NOW. No need to panic, just take precautions. Like a cold or the flu, we will all likely get COVID periodically in the future (thank you China and the CCP). BE PREPARED, NOT SCARED.

End of sermon, thanks to all the friends who heard about my COVID and reached out with prayers and well wishes, it means a lot. If I exposed anyone please accept my apology, if you are symptomatic, get tested. SORRY

Back