Coated Intakes Etc

I would think that a Spridget would have more to gain from some insulation on the intake, since it's intake is right next to the exhaust. I haven't ever tried to measure the air temp under the hood when it's at speed, so I have no idea how much the insulation helps. But I can't imagine that it's worth as much as some are making it. I would think that the intake gets much of it's temp from being a heat sink due to contact with the head. Having a fresh air supply, rather than just taking under hood air, would seem to be more critical.

Instead of making your point on this board, you should write a letter to the CRB for whatever you think is best.

VWs being non crossflow have the same issue as a Spridget. I haven't done any measurements either but subjectively the intake feels significantly hotter than it "ought to".

Probably the right answer on the VW is to - per Mike's input - just fabricate a heat shield and hang it off the exhaust header mounting studs, calling it part of the exhaust. I've seen that or very similar on Spridgets IIRC.

fwiw I find discussions on this board to be quite helpful in figuring out a good common sense answer, allowing a group discussion of sorts. Definitely needs following up by writing to CRB.

Ron, adding a complete enclosure of the intake would be legal @ this point, IMHO as you have not modified the intake in anny way. Just cooled it .
Adding wording to allow just half of the intake to be covered/shielded is my thought.
Well half plus the end bend arounds. of 2in or less.
This would allow the current trend to shield the intake bottom, plus wrap the header at will.
Making sure that the engine itself is not considered "powertrain" is crucial.
"Power train" for the GCR will have to state " flywheel to driven tires"

Protech Racing":1xii36pj said:
Ron, adding a complete enclosure of the intake would be legal @ this point, IMHO as you have not modified the intake in anny way. Just cooled it .
Adding wording to allow just half of the intake to be covered/shielded is my thought.
Well half plus the end bend arounds. of 2in or less.
This would allow the current trend to shield the intake bottom, plus wrap the header at will.

Changing the GCR definition of powertrain and creating a rule to allow half the intake to be coated would seem to fall into the trap of over complicating things, like we always do. How about just clarifying the part that says: "The intake manifold can not otherwise be modified".

If you want to build a heat shield for your header go ahead, the exhaust is unrestricted.

I would be really interested in seeing if there is any measurable drop in intake temps with a coated manifold. For most cars running carbs the atomization of the fuel in the intake port will pull a substantial amount of heat out of the port anyways thus negating the effectiveness of the coating to begin with. If you don't have a cross flow head, I could see some benefit, but I doubt its more than 1-3hp. Besides you are better of stopping that heat from getting to the manifold in the first place than you are trying to keep it from absorbing more heat.

There is typically an amazing amount of fresh air swirling around in the engine bay at race speeds and the turn over in the intake manifold is so significant that I just don't see this doing more than having a minor effect. Yes, its possible you could run a bit more ignition timing, but again, 3hp isn't going to beat a driver that spent another day testing and getting more seat time. As amateur drivers we are all limited by talent and seat time.

Protech Racing":362fi3wf said:

Mike, I've been patiently waiting for someone to mention power train. When one searches drivetrain/powertrain outside the SCCA glossary one would find per below.

"Drivetrain:
The drivetrain of a motor vehicle is the group of components that deliver power to the driving wheels. This excludes the engine or motor that generates the power. In contrast, the powertrain is considered to include both the engine or motor and the drivetrain."

During the 2008 GCR/PCS rewrite was using the word powertrain or drivetrain intended? Thermal barrier and friction altering coatings of the power producing engine covers a really large world as compared to thermal barrier and friction altering coatings of the drivetrain.

Through GCR PCS year 2007 as an example on the spec line for a 1990/1993 Miata these words existed. "Manifold may not be otherwise altered." Yes one could port match one inch maximum.

Then within the GCR PCS 2008 rewrite the spec line manifold information disappeared and the thermal barrier rule was inserted and succeeding the thermal barrier rule is a rule that specifies, "The intake manifold can not otherwise be modified."

Therefore with this information that for years one could not coat the outside of the intake manifold and then there becomes the powertrain thermal barrier rule. A question becomes, during the 2008 GCR/PCS rewrite was this an coverall rule thrown in for level 1 prep that was not to include level 2 prepped?

Al, using a $40.00 multi-meter with thermocouple capabilities (you may need to procure/make a longer thermocouple than is included) will provide all the on track temp's desired from under the hood.

Protech Racing":1tyqgsai said:
Look @ the rotary engine restrictions. It starts with "drivetrain"

Taking the word definition of drivetrain from the SCCA glossary versus a real world dictionary or the vehicle manufactures definition , maybe the SCCA word "drivetrain" is used as a confusion factor until a neubie pays his/her dues.

Tom Feller":2ytpfkh4 said:
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/drive-train

Note: synonym of drive-train is power-train. Black helicopter down!
Technical definitions done by non-technical people. The helicopter was just stopped to refuel. ;)

Back tracking a bit, the heat shields between the exhaust manifold and intake manifold were allowed as part of the any exhaust header. EDIT: Obviously bolted to the any exhaust system.

Can anyone find a PCS level 1 prep or level 2 prep rule by number previous to 2008 which allowed thermal barrier or alternate friction coatings?

Can you bolt a shield to the bottom of the intake? Does that modify the intake?
How about if it had one as new OE?
How about if it did not?

If you bolt the heat shield directly to the intake, you create a direct path for heating the intake.

If you want the intake to be cooler, one heat source is the exhaust, but another source is the block that the intake is bolted to.

Gaskets are free.... Make a plastic spacer to use as a additional gasket. This has been used on some turbo cars to help keep the intake charge cooler, why have a intercooler if the intake manifold is at 180 deg?

Not sure how effective a thin coating would be anyhow.

Back