Calif Speedway National and double Regional, Jan 2011

Brian Linn

As Jason stated in another thread, we are running a single National over three days, one session per day. I guess when the Regional guys are bringing in the money, National entries are sort of fillers. Usual Cal Club groupings GT1-Lite, EP, FP, STO-U, 22 total cars. HP runs with Touring 1-3 and SS.
entries as of 1/17/2011:
E Production 3 entries
50 Gist, Gary Group 4 1989 Mazda RX-7
51 Karlson, Roger Group 4 1963 Elva Courier
63 Malone, James Group 4 1986 Porsche porsche 944

F Production 3 entries
11 Linn, Brian Group 4 1990 Mazda Miata
36 Powers, Sean Group 4 1993 Mazda Miata
93 Murph, Gary Group 4 1970 Opel GT

H Production 4 entries
7 Shaver, Leroy Group 3 1962 MG Midget
28 Bryant, Craig Group 3 1959 Austin Healey Sprite
33 Wittman, Gary Group 3 1961 Austin Healey Sprite
43 Markos, Cory Group 3 1986 Honda Civic Si

GT-Lite 3 entries
1 Fazzi, Michael Group 4 1964 Austin Mini
44 Bower, John Group 4 1995 Nissan Sentra
64 gilcrease, bill Group 4 1967 Mini Cooper

Although it never rains in Calif, it always seems to rain during this race weekend. Last year it was ridiculously wet, but I had taken Friday off, so I was going to get my track time. The GT2 Porsche that goes by me on my out-lap eventually hydroplanes off on a straight, tearing up his car. Every time I go into the banking in the wet, I ponder "what does NASCAR and IndyCar know about not racing on the ovals in the wet, that I don't know". Some of the puddles are so deep that you splash up a wall - followed by it dropping on the car a second later (see video at about 2:29 and 5:03). The smart ones stayed in the garage.

here is a video from the wet session last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vEd1sGmIbU

Brain, current forecast says the high should be around 71 - 72 all three days with only a 10% chance of rain on Sunday. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a dry, fun weekend. I am glad you decided to come out and play. See you there.

BTW, it is almost a push as to it being Regional or National bringing in the most money. I guess if you take out the money given to Topeka, the Regional guys are still carrying a more significant larger portion of the load.

Qualifying today was under sunny skies- probably close to 80 degrees.

HP went out with the DOT tire crowd.
Gary Wittman 2:03.9
Cory Markos 2:09.6
Craig Bryant 2:14.1
Leroy Shaver 2:14.3

next group:
1. GT1 Michael Lewis 1:32.97
2. GT1
3. GT1
4. GT3 Mike Henderson 1:45.3
5. GT3 Wolfgang Maike 1:47.1
6. GT1
7. FP Brian Linn 1:53.7
8. EP Gary Gist 1:53.8
9. STU Marc Hoover 1:54.2 Miata - I need to check out the rules for GTU - it looks cool
10. GTL John Bower 1:57.2
11. EP Roger Karlson 1:57.8
12. Sean Powers 1:59.3
13. STU
14. EP James Malone 2:01.9
15. STU
16. GTL Bill Gilcrease - no time, but did see him go out for hardship, so must be fixed
17. GTL Michael Fazzi - no time
FP Gary Murph - Opel GT, had something going wrong with new engine, so he packed it up and went home.

It was very windy today- the radio news claimed 40-60mph winds. Of course the head winds were on the part of the oval where you are near top speed, so no fast laps today. It killed my top speed 3-5mph, and slowed the first 24sec of the lap by 1 sec from yesterday.

H Prod-
I didn't see how the start initially went, but by the time they got to the oval T-2, Cory Markos in his Honda had driven around Gary Wittman. They swapped back, then back again I think, but I started getting ready for my race. In the end, Gary's race ended early (don't know why), then at half way, Cory's race ended. Congratulations to Craig Bryant with his first National win. Leroy Shaver came in 2nd.

GT/prod group-
Race seemed uneventful with the exception of the wandering cones that they use to define part of the track. Seemed like cones were moving every lap- in the middle of the track. There also seemed to be more debris than normal, some from my cracked air dam, after finding something. Sean Power's race was ended prematurely after something pierced his radiator.
1. GT1 Michael Lewis
2. GT1
3. GT3 Mike Henderson
4. GT3
5. GT1
6. EP Gary Gist 1:54.6
7. STU Marc Hoover 1:55.8
8. FP Brian Linn 1:55.1
9. EP Roger Karlson 2:00.0
10. STU
11. EP James Malone 2:01.9
12. STU
13. GTL John Bower 1:59.9
-- FP Sean Powers 2:00.9
-- GTL Bill Gilcrease 2:00.8
-- GT3

It looked like they had a great race going for about two laps. :cry: It was a shame to see Gary and Cory both having mechanical issues. But Cory stuck it out and was able to get a finish.

Indeed, Congratulations to Craig Bryant on his first National win.

That sure was a strong head wind on the straight/oval. I was down 500 rpm through there. I guess I was pushing the accelerator pedal extra hard there trying to overcome the wind because I broke the throttle cable. It is hard to finish a race at idle. Cory had an overheating problem with his new engine and did not want to hurt it. At least he got a finish.

For the record, I actually had 2 National race wins back in '07. But since Tom was the only other HP contestant at those events, I'm not sure they really count. Even though it gave me the win, I too was sorry to see Gary and Cory drop out. I was trying to stay close enough to watch what was starting out to be a great duel between them. And yes, that headwind down the front straight was brutal to my little 948. I tried going farther toward start/finish before I would shift into 4th, because as soon as I did, the RPM's would hit a wall.
And Gary, even though they were gone before I got there, thanks for leaving the tires for me. I guess now I won't need them after all. :wink:
See ya'll at Willow.

Craig

craig bryant":b88fu1yb said:
For the record, I actually had 2 National race wins back in '07.
OK, so I'm a little late on congratulating you on your first National win - or you made a liar out of me...

results are up on mylaps: http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=623573

some video from the race, approx laps 5&6. I was catching Marc Hoover in his STU Miata (1.8l) after he got by in the first corner. As we go enter the last corners before the oval, Marc finds two cones near the apex. He hits one of them and I took avoidance action - which gives him a big gap that never gets close again. This was a new location for the camera, but I may try something closer to the wheel next time.

sorry, but the resolutions blows - will try another export format later http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2rfVgEC2sg

That track looks familiar. I will have to remember that kick out the cones maneuver the next time someone is chasing me. :shock: The first time I raced there I hit one of those cones dead center in the front of my air dam coming around the corner, on the tail of another car, to get onto the oval. Those things cause a lot of damage. That is another way to get someone off of your tail. Find a cone laying in the middle of the track, let the car behind you get real close, head for the cone and at the last second swerve to miss it. The thud you hear behind you will be the cone taking out the car behind you.

I thought Craig had gotten a National win a few years back but Brian said this was his first win and I knew Brain would not lie.

That is a lot of WOT and it is even more in an H car, especially when you are pushing a strong head wind.

EPrill":7qpbc1yi said:
That's a lot of WOT!
Cool camera position.
I shift to 5th prior to S/F and WOT thru the banking, probably 30 sec of WOT. On Sat in qual, I hit the rev limiter in 5th for the first time ever, while in the draft of an EP Elva. Data showed 132mph- not bad for a Miata (thanks Jesse!). I was on the Hoosier radials and my 2 fastest laps of the race were 2nd and 3rd from the end of the race.

With the suction cup mounting of the GoPro, I figured I would try some new positions. Interesting to see how much of the track that you actually use, or don't use. I will try the passenger side next time, it's just a little harder to start from the driver's seat. It took a little bit of faith that the suction cup would hold in the 150mph air speed and someone wouldn't get too close and knock it off.

here is a slightly better quality video, but same footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM4ZOAtMWmw

Back