Bring Back G (H) Production

I want to clarify my post addressed to Dave Gomberg in response to his notice of the availability of the Feb CRB meeting minutes.

Dave,
I realize that by using your name in my first post on this thread someone might infer that I thought you were somehow partially at fault for the murder of GP. Nothing could be farther from the truth. In fact I need to publicly thank you for your service to the club. My post should not have had your name on it as my concern is directed at the institution and not you individually. I am fully aware that prior BOD and CRB members were responsible for the ill conceived execution of GP in their blind pursuit of only 24 classes to make televised Runoffs more attractive to the then god of SPEEDVISION. Those were shortsighted self-involved decision makers that should no longer hold elective or appointed offices in this club. The long term damage their decisions created will continue to reduce the ranks of SCCA drivers and enthusiast for years to come.
What I can't understand is the current BOD and CRB's blind allegiance this mistake. The BS in the minutes just posted is unbelievable. GP was not in trouble prior to 2007. GP numbers slipped some in 07 due in part to the beginning of the current recession but mostly because the CRB moved the very popular GP Honda, Spridgets and some Spits to HP to help bolster HP #'s. The facts simply don't support the statements made in the current minutes to justify the elimination of GP and the continued lack of support for reinstating GP. These statements make it look like the CRB is a puppet organization so afraid to say the old BOD made a mistake that they parrot the company line like the BOD had a hand up their butts.
I have pursued rules changes many times over the last 15 years. Your innovative contributions of public notice of request and some disclosure of topics of discussion have been a breath of fresh air in an otherwise dismal process. Unfortunately the odor of "secret voting" and the systematic failure of the ADHOC and CRB members to contact members for additional input on their request have wrapped your good work in some very smelly paper.
Both you and Mr. Bob Dowie have done an excellent job of service to the club and deserve our thanks. I cant understand why the rest of the CRB and BOD members lack the fortitude to simply say a mistake was made, efforts will be made to rectify that mistake and hopefully some procedures will be put in place to make it more difficult for non-racing decision makers to drive off cub racer members in the future.
Thanks again for your service.
On a more personal note, I would like to direct the following comment to the BOD.
24 classes my arss, what difference does the # of classes make. Our tech and timing officials can easily handle many more racers than we can currently persuade to attend the Runoffs. Remember Atlanta and Mid Ohio before the age of PC's and modern timing + scoring. What darn difference does it make to them what numbers are on the side of the cars or the number of classes that are in a race as long as we get full fields for each run group. The numbnutts decisions made in 2007 cost me over ten thousand dollars to build and develop another car so I could continue to pay dues and entry fees to the SCCA. Good work. Keep it up and maybe we should spend some of our racing money to replace the rulesmakers.
Respectfully,
Keith Church 93932 and 281381

How many of those CSR entries were also double dipping Stohr DSRs?
Hey.. FA was soooo healthy, a NEW class was created for cars that could have been IN FA.

i see that some individuals write their ideas on here and not the facts.. i WAS in federal prison but i still have my 2 g-prod 510's , along with some fast rebello engines , and i hope that they do bring back the g-prod class someday because my two cars aren't competetive in f-prod and have been sitting under the car covers since the fall of 2007 ... i might have been away for a few years but i'm back and next year i'll be racing. maybe not in my 510's , but i WILL be racing :)

Keith, you ROCK ! From my experience on the Comp Board back in the day, I was fed a continuous conveyor belt of B.S. from the B.O.D. I resigned rather than choking it down.

Jeff Winter 59502

wk 303 427 0510

After running my ITB car in HP, with only swapping the cam and removing the weight. My Son drives it really well and moved to the top one, two,or three, of the HP cars @ the regional level.( 2:43 Sebring ). I see an easy 2:40 flat some morning . with the 80# more out.
There is no reason the VW should be near the front, with the 100% steel body and full glass. This 4000$ , 1.8 litre car should be in GP.,Leaving the old30,000$ hobby cars like the Sprites, Minis, etc. IN HP. IMHO.
Just bump the big motor cars to GP. Let the sub 1500cc HP cars stay.

eight ways to enter a Miata in the Runoffs - so two ways to enter a sprite or Midget (or whatever) does not seem as too much to ask .....

glenwood":1x66v73a said:
eight ways to enter a Miata in the Runoffs - so two ways to enter a sprite or Midget (or whatever) does not seem as too much to ask .....

Yeah and case you missed it the latest IDEA is to create a SPEC GTL car based on wait for it.............................................. a Miata

I certainly wasn't beating the DEAD horse just bringing the SPEC GTL to some folks attention in case they missed it because it is out for member input.

Oh yeah by the way tell Barrie that I will take FP sponsorship this year.

harvey":24biasn1 said:
I certainly wasn't beating the DEAD horse just bringing the SPEC GTL to some folks attention in case they missed it because it is out for member input.

Thanks, Les.

I was just pointing out, in my usual subtle way, that the CRB will NEVER bring back GP. I don't think in the history of the SCCA a class has ever been resurrected, especially after it was REMOVED from the GCR completely! (Not even regional only status).

Mark

Mark Coffin":2t5fya7d said:
harvey":2t5fya7d said:

Thanks, Les.

I was just pointing out, in my usual subtle way, that the CRB will NEVER bring back GP. I don't think in the history of the SCCA a class has ever been resurrected, especially after it was REMOVED from the GCR completely! (Not even regional only status).

Mark

A/Sedan :p

Yeah.. it means something different, but its the same models of cars that were running in the old A/Sedan, and closer to the old A/Sedan rules than GT1 is.

I still say G SEDAN..... 1500-1800cc, 2/4 door, must have a roof (no roadsters with hardtops) maybe even up the rules to attract some nasa sedans.
All the roadsters could stay in H.

News Flash
Pigs are flying, It is snowing in hell and the SCCA just brought back G Production

Reality check – the future of amateur production car racing in America

Goodyear hasn’t made any 13” tires lately, doesn’t have any production scheduled. Wonder why? Well the SCCA is the largest sanctioning body currently holding amateur races for production sports cars with 13 and 15 inch wheels. Goodyear’s chief competitor for this small market just successfully developed and markets a superior radial tire for cars needing 13 or 15 inch tires. If Goodyear wants to compete in this narrow niche it must quickly invest a large sum of money to stay an active player (radial tire development) or concede this niche to Hoosier. Goodyear isn’t making money now, its’ NASCAR participation is unlikely to generate a sales revival in the retail tire market and the long term impact of Obamanomics on the sports car racing community is bleak at best. If you were a Goodyear BOD member would you commit to the R+D dollars in the face of a declining market, or cut your losses and leave the market to Hoosier.

What does this have to do with the future of SCCA and amateur road racing in America? Well the SCCA BOD members have the same vantage point as the Goodyear guys. To ward off the impending demise they have created newer classes that use larger street tread tires (SM STU, STL, STO etc.). Over the next couple of years they will have to merge the few remaining Prod classes with the ST/SM classes until the Prod cars are clearly uncompetitive so as to end their further use.

Well I’m not saying the Emperor has no clothes on but he damn sure is limited to only 1 pair of shoes, his horses are largely out of date, his knights are getting old and tired, and the new class of peasants aren’t really interested in seeing him any more, naked or not!

Skip the dead horse stuff, better worry about the rest of the farm animals.

Keith

Greg Nagy":2j3kcw3i said:
Mark Coffin":2j3kcw3i said:
harvey":2j3kcw3i said:

Thanks, Les.

Mark

A/Sedan :p

Yeah.. it means something different, but its the same models of cars that were running in the old A/Sedan, and closer to the old A/Sedan rules than GT1 is.

Heh, heh, you got me there but I still thinks it's a stretch to say they 'brought it back'. :wink:

Mark

Back