Brake rotor question

I am putting on a two piece rotor set up and have a question. The rotor's are directional with the cooling fins. The way they are they pull air from the rim down to the hub. With brake ducting blowing air to the center are they not fitting each other. Should I put the rotors on so the air is pulled fron the hub to the rim??

Paul

The rotor will spin the air from the center out via centrifigul force. The curved vane gives more surface area than a straight vane. As far as orientation, think of path of least resistance as the air tries to escape from the center of the rotor. Think air pump.
Chris

To add to what Chris says - the vented rotor is indeed a centrifugal air pump, it will always take air from the hub and throw it out toward the rim. The vanes are most likely meant to curve "backwards" ie curved back from inside to outside with respect to wheel rotation. And you will want to blow air into the center "eye" of the fan.

paul kullman":llieou08 said:
That is what I thought, the rotors have to be marked wrong

Paul, another 2 cents. :think: If your rotors are position identified & the vane curve is forward that would be so that the air is forced from the outside inwards. Not talking with air ducts. The outside diameter inward force being greater than the centrifugal force.

I'd talk to the rotor manufacturer.

It is not unknown for centrifugal fan/pump blades to sweep forward. Not as common as straight or backswept but not unheard of. I'd still guess backswept but if you can talk to whoever made them I'd get their input.

(We studied this in fluid dynamics 30 years ago but the details are now fuzzy having never designed a centrifugal fan.)

Back